Bengals have interest in Jordy Nelson?

I've defended LaFell from people on this board and other places who claim he's "the worst WR2" and other similar things about how much he sucks for some reason, but I'd 100% cut him and put that $4 million towards a 2-3 year offer for Jordy Nelson. He's probably going to get a big(ger) offer elsewhere though, good free agents are getting paid insane amounts of money right now. How much would it realistically take to get him here on a short deal? I can't see Mike Brown giving our WR2 $7+ million per or else one of Sanu/Jones would still be here.

Would Jordy take 3 years, $18 million with $12m of it guaranteed? Basically give him $6m per year with the first 2 fully guaranteed. Is that enough? He's about to be 33 years old so maybe that's not actually low for him right now.

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

I've defended LaFell from people on this board and other places who claim he's "the worst WR2" and other similar things about how much he sucks for some reason, but I'd 100% cut him and put that $4 million towards a 2-3 year offer for Jordy Nelson. He's probably going to get a big(ger) offer elsewhere though, good free agents are getting paid insane amounts of money right now. How much would it realistically take to get him here on a short deal? I can't see Mike Brown giving our WR2 $7+ million per or else one of Sanu/Jones would still be here.

Would Jordy take 3 years, $18 million with $12m of it guaranteed? Basically give him $6m per year with the first 2 fully guaranteed. Is that enough? He's about to be 33 years old so maybe that's not actually low for him right now.

My gut tells me he would take less and go to New England.  They don't have an AJ Green, Nelson would get more balls thrown his way from Tom Brady and way better odds of another ring.

10 minutes ago, SF2 said:

My gut tells me he would take less and go to New England.  They don't have an AJ Green, Nelson would get more balls thrown his way from Tom Brady and way better odds of another ring.

With Amendola gone I could definitely see them going after Nelson and I'm sure he's interested in getting another ring.

However, don't forget that they have Brandin Cooks again for 2018 and Gronk is another 100+ target guy. Nelson could potentially have a bigger role here (assuming we cut LaFell to afford him) if that's what he's after. Amendola and LaFell had almost the same amount of targets last year so I wouldn't say he'd definitely see more balls thrown from Brady. We also can assume John Ross will have more than the 0 catches he did last year though so that could change things too.

I definitely agree on the ring part but I do think his role would be about the same on either team. But who wouldn't want to go to the Patriots over the Bengals in general?

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

With Amendola gone I could definitely see them going after Nelson and I'm sure he's interested in getting another ring.

However, don't forget that they have Brandin Cooks again for 2018 and Gronk is another 100+ target guy. Nelson could potentially have a bigger role here (assuming we cut LaFell to afford him) if that's what he's after. Amendola and LaFell had almost the same amount of targets last year so I wouldn't say he'd definitely see more balls thrown from Brady. We also can assume John Ross will have more than the 0 catches he did last year though so that could change things too.

I definitely agree on the ring part but I do think his role would be about the same on either team. But who wouldn't want to go to the Patriots over the Bengals in general?

All good points.   Nelson has made $43 mil in his career I believe so at the end of the day do you take a little less money (assuming that happens)  so you can possibly win another ring?  Gotta think so.   BTW, gotta feel sorry for Brandin Cooks.  First catching passes from Drew Brees then having to suck it up with Tom Brady.  Maybe he will go to Green Bay in 2 years. 

26 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

It appears he just wants people to come play with the Bengals lol

Mixon working it recruiting on twitter is my favorite thing about this off-season at this point, and I loved the Cordy Glenn trade.

Jim O basically said that this came from a very loose tie in with our new QB coach and that Jordy Nelson has shown no interest in coming here even if the Bengals did want him.

I'd have to go back and find his quote but I believe he also said the Bengals didn't "show interest" either and the report was 100% speculation.

8 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Jim O basically said that this came from a very loose tie in with our new QB coach and that Jordy Nelson has shown no interest in coming here even if the Bengals did want him.

I'd have to go back and find his quote but I believe he also said the Bengals didn't "show interest" either and the report was 100% speculation.

Yet more reporting speculation as fact just to report something. Just like the Burfict trade nonsense.

Archived