Want some Honey Badger!

Mentioned by Mr. Schooler in the Burfict trade trolling and I did not want to hijack the thread.

TYVM, Mr. Schooler.  I could not copy and paste the twitter.

I said something about trying to get him elsewhere.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/unable-restructure-deal-cardinals-release-tyrann-mathieu-175547798.html

Unable to restructure his deal, Cardinals release Tyrann Mathieu

Shalise Manza Young

Shutdown CornerMar 14, 2018, 1:55 PM

The Arizona Cardinals are saying goodbye to the Honey Badger.

th-13.jpeg

Unable to reach an agreement on a contract restructure for the 25-year-old All-Pro defensive back, the Cardinals released Tyrann Mathieu on Wednesday.

Mathieu was due a $5 million roster bonus on the first day of the new league year, which begins later Wednesday, and his entire 2018 salary would have become guaranteed as well.

While there were reports that the two sides worked toward an adjustment that would have lowered Mathieu’s salary-cap number, it wasn’t to be, particularly since Mathieu didn’t want to take a pay cut – and knew that he wouldn’t have to if he ended up on the open market.

General manager Steve Keim said of Mathieu, “I’ve never made a secret that Tyrann has always had a special place in my heart and always will.”

Keim may well feel that way, but on Tuesday he agreed to give oft-injured and always-mediocre quarterback Sam Bradford a one-year, $20 million contract with $15 million guaranteed.

The 69th overall pick in 2013, out of Louisiana State, Mathieu faced a lot of questions before and after he was drafted: he’d been dismissed by the Tigers for violation of team rules, reportedly multiple drug-test failures; Mathieu checked himself into a rehab facility a week after his dismissal, but returned to school for the start of the 2012 fall semester. But on October 25 of that year, he and three other LSU players were arrested for marijuana possession.

Mathieu has said the night he spent in jail for that arrest changed his life. Pacman's replacement and he has this Bengal requirement covered.

He’s been a model citizen since entering the NFL; beloved by teammates, who were devastated by his torn ACL late in the 2015 season, and fans.

Mathieu started all 16 games last season, and will likely generate a lot of interest from the 31 other NFL teams.

11 hours ago, fluhartz said:

yep.. no reason to discuss really.... fun to dream about though 

Meh. Did he even do anything spectacular last year? If he didn't have the goofy Honey Badger nickname, this probably wouldn't be a discussion.

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

Meh. Did he even do anything spectacular last year? If he didn't have the goofy Honey Badger nickname, this probably wouldn't be a discussion.

I didn't personally follow him , but I think I read after he returned later in the year from injury that he started returning to form nicely. Iirc the article stated he is someone OC's have to game plan around.

He was an elite Safety/SCB in 2015 but hasn't been up to that form again since. It would be great to have a guy versatile enough to play 2 positions at a high level but he's going to command a hefty contract even with ability that has dropped off since his best season.

25 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Let's say it's accurate that he'd take that contract and the Bengals are actually interested.

They've basically announced that the Glenn signing was the "splash" of free agency and there isn't a ton of money left to wrap other contracts up, so I'm assuming they'd have to cut someone like Shawn Williams to make room. We'd clear just under $3 million in cap space by cutting him so that's not enough. The only way it would make sense is if they would sign Mathieu and cut Dennard by essentially signing honey badger as the full time slot CB and occasional safety. I'm not sure I like that move after Dennard has shown clear signs of improvement in a big way in 2017.

I know the Bengals technically have the money to sign him right now, but I'm speaking from a Hobson perspective where we're already broke this offseason. Going by Bengals-realistically speaking, how do we make the cap space for him? Do we not extend Dunlap? Do we cut Dennard? Do we cut Shawn Williams + Michael Johnson? Do we cut guys at other positions and replace those other players with cheap draft picks? Let's play fantasy land and figure out the smartest way to make it happen. I'm really not sure TBH.

16 hours ago, oldschooler said:

I would love to get him!

He's only 25 years old.

But he's going to demand more money than this team is willing to spend.

Especially considering he left because the Cards couldn't restructure him to his liking.

Archived