Bengals re-sign Tyler Eifert!!!

Just now, snarkster said:

F Jethro & Pacman.  Wouldn't mind seeing them sign a solid safety to lessen the need to draft one.

Best Bengals FA news now would be that somebody besides the Bengals signs Bodine. Or he will undoubtedly be back next season.

Sure didn't think this was going to happen - especially with all the crazy money being thrown around this year. You had to figure somebody would do something way over the top. In addition, we upped our offer to match niners/rams.

Have to give credit where it's due - the Bengals (aka Mike Brown) have stepped up this off season.

We certainly have put a lot of pieces in place to make some noise this year.

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

Best Bengals FA news now would be that somebody besides the Bengals signs Bodine. Or he will undoubtedly be back next season.

Agreed.  Hobknob says Eifert is the last major free agent deal and that leaves Bodine out of the picture.  Unless MB signs him for the league minimum or thereabouts, the odds favor Bodine signing elsewhere for more money.  Probably the best news today even more so than Eifert coming back.  

I sure hope this contract is entirely based on playing time and they're not just throwing good money after bad again.  

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Agreed.  Hobknob says Eifert is the last major free agent deal 

So both of our big offseason moves are for players that haven't been healthy since 2015.  Championship strategy right there.

20 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

So both of our big offseason moves are for players that haven't been healthy since 2015.  Championship strategy right there.

Eifert starting the season healthy and got injured.

And Glenn played in 6 games.

So actually they were healthy last year. Just not all year.

And both passed physicals and are reportedly ready for OTAs

7 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Eifert starting the season healthy and got injured.

And Glenn played in 6 games.

So actually they were healthy last year. Just not all year.

And both passed physicals and are reportedly ready for OTAs

Neither one has played an entire season since 2015.  Counting on them to do it in 2018 is plain stupid. 

Just now, T-Dub said:

Neither one has played an entire season since 2015.  Counting on them to do it in 2018 is plain stupid. 

All I will say is, if you don't like what the Bengals have done this week

then you want to be miserable. Have not fun. 

3 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

See, I would say you are fooling yourself, but it's not that big a deal.  Enjoy your Kool-Aid.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

See, I would say you are fooling yourself, but it's not that big a deal.  Enjoy your Kool-Aid.

Hey, the Packers are counting on a QB that hasn't played a full season

since 2016. What fools!

I don't know what you were expecting from the Bengals, but if you're upset

by whay they have done, you're the one that needs a drink.

4 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

I disagree, the Bengals had other options besides going after guys who were injured for the majority of the season and hadn't been productive years. 

Giving Eifert 5.5 to 8.5 million based off 1 good season 3 years ago is not smart, I would let another team take that risk. Eifert is injury prone, coming off this 3rd back surgery, and has yet to be cleared by the team's doctors... I don't see how this is a good signing.

Just now, PatternMaster said:

I disagree, the Bengals had other options besides going after guys who were injured for the majority of the season and hadn't been productive years. 

Giving Eifert 5.5 to 8.5 million based off 1 good season 3 years ago is not smart, I would let another team take that risk. Eifert is injury prone, coming off this 3rd back surgery, and has yet to be cleared by the team's doctors... I don't see how this is a good signing.

Yeah well you're just a miserable awful person who probably kicks puppies 

:grin-min:

2 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I would agree with you if the Rams and 49ers both hadn't offered Eifert the same deal.

It's not like the "stupid" Bengals were bidding against themselves.

ETA

And he hasn't been cleared by the team's doctor because he hasn't met with him yet.

He has been cleared by a doctor and the Bengals have seen as much

1 minute ago, oldschooler said:

Hey, the Packers are counting on a QB that hasn't played a full season

since 2016. What fools!

I don't know what you were expecting from the Bengals, but if you're upset

by why they have done, you're the one that needs a drink.

Rodgers is a Super Bowl winning MVP, Eifert went to 1 Pro Bowl...big difference. Eifert has NEVER played a full season in his entire career, why give him anything more than the vet minimum until he actually stay healthy?

1 minute ago, PatternMaster said:

Rodgers is a Super Bowl winning MVP, Eifert went to 1 Pro Bowl...big difference. Eifert has NEVER played a full season in his entire career, why give him anything more than the vet minimum until he actually stay healthy?

In case you haven't noticed, Eifert when healthy is elite.

Would you rather have safe average or risky elite?

I'll take the elite, thanks.

And no player is guaranteed to stay healthy. Rodgers could break his collar bone again.

I mean he has suffered 2 of them in his career already.

Just now, oldschooler said:

I would agree with you if the Rams and 49ers both hadn't offered Eifert the same deal.

It's not like the "stupid" Bengals were bidding against themselves.

We don't know what they were offering, it wasn't the same deal because the Bengals offered more to get him. 

Sure some teams were showing interest, that's good for Eifert. However giving him a contract that could make him a top 5 highest paid players in terms of salary doesn't seem like the best move. Let someone else overpay him and if he can prove he's healthy then good for him. I  think the risk of injury outweighs the salary.

18 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

We don't know what they were offering, it wasn't the same deal because the Bengals offered more to get him. 

Sure some teams were showing interest, that's good for Eifert. However giving him a contract that could make him a top 5 highest paid players in terms of salary doesn't seem like the best move. Let someone else overpay him and if he can prove he's healthy then good for him. I  think the risk of injury outweighs the salary.

Hobson ...

The Bengals, believed to have upped their offer to get in the same tier with the Rams and 49ers

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Report-of-Eifert-deal-may-be-last-major-pact-for-18-/8531cac9-6289-433e-9d13-1decbcb81b01?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

Owczarski ...

"But at the end of the day I knew where I wanted to be, which was with the Bengals," he said. "From the beginning, I told everyone that it would take something pretty special for me to leave. It would have to be an obvious decision."

He did have a decision to make, though. Multiple league sources told The Enquirer Eifert had to decide between the Bengals and the Los Angeles Rams.  

But Eifert wanted to remain in Cincinnati. 

He afforded the club an opportunity to match the Rams' offer that could push the deal to about $8.5 million should he hit all of his performance incentives.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/03/15/cincinnati-bengals-tyler-eifert/420500002/

OK. I understand where you are coming from. But I disagree. I want to see him be elite here. Not some where else.

6 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

However giving him a contract that could make him a top 5 highest paid players in terms of salary doesn't seem like the best move.

how does a 5.5M base make him a "top 5 highest paid player" ?

I'd say that would make him pretty much middle of the road....definitely not top 5.

5 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

In case you haven't noticed, Eifert when healthy is elite.

Would you rather have safe average or risky elite?

I'll take the elite, thanks.

And no player is guaranteed to stay healthy. Rodgers could break his collar bone again.

I mean he has suffered 2 of them in his career already.

He had 1 season that could be considered elite out of 5, that 1 season is looking like exception, not the norm for his career.

In his best season he had a stat line of 52/615/13. Outside of the TD totals that is not elite. Outside of the 2015 season he has a stat line of 75/722/7 for other 4 years of his career. 

Can he recreate that 2015 season after multiple surgies to his back, knees, and elbows? Are the Bengals chasing the ghost of Eifert's 2015  form? To me these questions would need to be answered before he is resigned and based on the fact that Marvin said he hasn't been medically cleared, I would be hesitant to bring him back at anything other than the league minimum. 

1 minute ago, PatternMaster said:

If gets to 8.5 million then he will be the 5th highest paid TE

well if he gets 8.5 mil it'll be because he stayed healthy and earned that money.....if he plays, he's definitely a top 5 TE

5.5 for the potential of Eifert is nothing....hell Gresham makes 7m so what's that tell ya? lol

19 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Hobson ...

The Bengals, believed to have upped their offer to get in the same tier with the Rams and 49ers

Owczarski ...

"But at the end of the day I knew where I wanted to be, which was with the Bengals," he said. "From the beginning, I told everyone that it would take something pretty special for me to leave. It would have to be an obvious decision."

He did have a decision to make, though. Multiple league sources told The Enquirer Eifert had to decide between the Bengals and the Los Angeles Rams.  

But Eifert wanted to remain in Cincinnati. 

He afforded the club an opportunity to match the Rams' offer that could push the deal to about $8.5 million should he hit all of his performance incentives.

OK. I understand where you are coming from. But I disagree. I want to see him be elite here. Not some where else.

I just feel like the Bengals are trying to get back with an old girl friend with Eifert; even if he does stay relatively healthy there is no guarantee he will be an above average player. 

The injuries have taken a toll on his body, he's not the same guy he was 2-3 years  ago. He's had 3 back surgeries since college, along with ankle, elbow, and shoulder surgeries, and a concussion as well.

http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/tyler-eifert/6680

He's's banged up, why not let Kroft and CJ develop instead of investing in a player who has had 7 surgeries in 5 years. Eifert hurt his back running routes in practice and missed multiple games, he's the definition of unreliable from an injury standpoint.

Archived