Bengals re-sign Tyler Eifert!!!

9 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

The only reason why you view him as an absolute difference-making weapon that has the individual potential to win crunch games is because of his 2015 season, but he's not that guy anymore. If the Bengals are signing players based on what they did in 2015 then we should definitely sign Ryan Fitzpatrick(Top 12 QB in 2015), Adrian Peterson(Best RB in the NFL in 2015), and Brandon Marshall(Top 5 WR in 2015)..but that would be dumb because these guys have either been injury prone(Peterson & Marshall) or their level of play has dramatically decreased. 

I get that most fans have fond memories of Eifert catching TD's and long passes down the middle of the field and finally fulfilling his destiny as a first-round pick that stretch the field and blah, blah, blah...but that was many moons ago and since that time he's had 2 back surgeries, knee, and ankle surgeries since that season. To expect this guy to step on the field and pick up where he left off in 2015 is just not reasonable. 

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade around here but I just don't see the point of bringing him back, why not develop the young guys on the roster at TE or look for a replace in FA or the draft that can stay healthy and has potential. 

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

He hasn't come close to replicating his prior success and it's extremely rare for players to be highly productive after having multiple back surgeries. 

I have been very happy with all of the moves the Bengals have made so far but I have to agree with Pattern on this one.   In the 41 games he has played which includes 2 playoff games, he has averaged 38.9 yards per game;  those are NOT elite numbers.   

In his best season he averaged only 47.3 yards per game.  Not an elite number.  He wasn't even a top 5 TE in 2015.  Sure you can point to the TDs he had in 2015 but I don't get why most of you think he will replicate that.  Last time I checked,  we don't have Marvin Jones and Mohammad Sanu here anymore  to draw coverage away from Eifert.  Vernon Davis caught 13 TD passes in his 2013 pro bowl season.  He followed up that season  with 2 in 14, 0 in 15, 2 in 16 and 3 last year.  Keep in mind he missed a grand total of 3 games the last 4 years.  Gronkowski only had 8 TD catches last year but he averaged 77.4 yards per game.  Elite TEs block well, move the chains, average more than 47.3 yards per game and play more than 8 games a season.

He stated he owes us a good season?  Well step up Tyler and play for league minimum,..you made $5 mil over the last 2 seasons and played in only 10 games with 33 catches and 5tds.   1 million per TD catch.  

The one good thing about this is at least the Bengals are not simply going to carry over salary to 2019.  If Eifert actually stays healthy at least we have another player.

12 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

The only reason why you view him as an absolute difference-making weapon that has the individual potential to win crunch games is because of his 2015 season, but he's not that guy anymore.

but they're not paying him like the player he was in 2015 when he was arguably the best TE in the NFL, they're paying him middle of the road TE money with a shot to make more.....obviously if he hits those escalators it's because he was healthy and playing, and if that's the case he'd be a top 5 TE and worth the money.

20 minutes ago, spicoli said:

but they're not paying him like the player he was in 2015 when he was arguably the best TE in the NFL, they're paying him middle of the road TE money with a shot to make more.....obviously if he hits those escalators it's because he was healthy and playing, and if that's the case he'd be a top 5 TE and worth the money.

What is the exact deal?  I read somewhere it was $5.5 base with the ability to get to $8 mil but I have seen nothing definitive.

5 hours ago, SF2 said:

What is the exact deal?  I read somewhere it was $5.5 base with the ability to get to $8 mil but I have seen nothing definitive.

If they guaranteed him anything more than his very own locker during training camp & all the Gatorade he could drink they are fools.

On 3/15/2018 at 3:15 PM, Jason said:

Do you still draft Gesicki at 46 if he’s there? (Assuming you were on the Gesicki train to begin with.)

I’m not as high on this Eifert deal as most. I really think it was time to move on. He’ll get hurt again and just the delay the inevitable. This was the year to get a stud TE in the draft. If Gesicki is sitting there at 46 you gotta take him. He’s special. 

9 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

:grin-min:

Fair enough. I'd think we all get enough disappointment lately as Bengals fans without throwing Eifert into the mix yet again, but carry on!

OK, moment's over, good feelings gone. I guess we'll just have to find some other ridiculously talented TE to limp, drool, play shuffleboard on cruise ships and sell advertising time on 700 WLW then. Maybe we can have Burfict hit Kroft in the head a few times until he "gets it".

3 hours ago, Bunghole said:

OK, moment's over, good feelings gone. I guess we'll just have to find some other ridiculously talented TE to limp, drool, play shuffleboard on cruise ships and sell advertising time on 700 WLW then. Maybe we can have Burfict hit Kroft in the head a few times until he "gets it".

:24:

If Eifert had managed to stay healthy for 16 games even with pedestrian stat line, he would have been a $9-10 Mil player to sign. Complaining about him getting $5 Mil is silly. We could easily go back a year and show all of the "Have to save money for Eifert's big deal" posts.

This isn't 2001, and the cap isn't $80 Mil.

It's a good deal for the Bengals. 

The only thing silly about this is the insistence that a team with almost $40 Mil to spend in FA is all tapped out after trading for a LT that's rather affordable and a TE that costs less than several of the league's backups. But that's the Bengal way of doing business.

34 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

If Eifert had managed to stay healthy for 16 games even with pedestrian stat line, he would have been a $9-10 Mil player to sign. Complaining about him getting $5 Mil is silly. We could easily go back a year and show all of the "Have to save money for Eifert's big deal" posts.

This isn't 2001, and the cap isn't $80 Mil.

It's a good deal for the Bengals. 

The only thing silly about this is the insistence that a team with almost $40 Mil to spend in FA is all tapped out after trading for a LT that's rather affordable and a TE that costs less than several of the league's backups. But that's the Bengal way of doing business.

Actually, the only thing silly is continuing to bring up some mythical number when they have already spent more than said number.

1 hour ago, kennethmw said:

Actually, the only thing silly is continuing to bring up some mythical number when they have already spent more than said number.

Which mythical number? I hope you aren't talking about the $40 million figure because we absolutely haven't spent that much in free agency. Or are you talking about the $15 million to spend that Hobson brought up in an article that LIDJ didn't even mention in his post?

2 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Which mythical number? I hope you aren't talking about the $40 million figure because we absolutely haven't spent that much in free agency. Or are you talking about the $15 million to spend that Hobson brought up in an article that LIDJ didn't even mention in his post?

Are you intentionally being obtuse?

15 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

Are you intentionally being obtuse?

Can you just answer a question instead of being a complete asshole?

You're never on here to talk football so I wasn't sure if you were aware of how much we've spent this offseason.

7 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Can you just answer a question instead of being a complete asshole?

You're never on here to talk football so I wasn't sure if you were aware of how much we've spent this offseason.

Whatever.  You know what he and I were referencing.  I actually wish there was actually more football talk on here instead of people pontificating about their incredible football knowledge and their hypotheses on the teams "historical trends".

22 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

Whatever.  You know what he and I were referencing.  I actually wish there was actually more football talk on here instead of people pontificating about their incredible football knowledge and their hypotheses on the teams "historical trends".

I think the Bengals are actually having a really good offseason so I can't complain too much.

But if you can't admit that we generally only take on team friendly contracts and have Hobson cry poor whether we have $5 million or $50 million left to spend, then you just have your head too far up the Brown family ass to discuss things realistically. It's how the Bengals operate and we can all disagree on whether the strategy creates a winning franchise or not, that's not the problem. The problem is with the extremists on both sides of the coin. Some people will find things to bitch about with literally any signing/trade/release/etc. and other people can't wait to get on their high horse and tell anyone being remotely negative how stupid they are.

IMO you picked the 1 guy who was probably being the most reasonable in his "negativity" to make a smartass comment to which is why I replied to you. Do you think Hobson puts his Bengals.com articles up without the team's consent? He's the one who started with the "mythical" (as you called it) $X million to spend this offseason. I don't see anything that was really wrong with what LIDJ posted. I think you should direct your teen-angsty, condescending responses to the people who are being legitimately negative for little reason about various topics.

5 hours ago, kennethmw said:

Total Cap Liabilities: $170,083,621

Top 51: $160,713,519

Team Cap Space: $26,312,668

This was prior to signing Eifert. So... $21 Million? (Eifert gets $5M and Redmon drops out of the top 51)

By Hobson's math, that leaves up $10 Mil for the "rookie pool" to sign draft picks, and $10 Mil in "injured player insurance". And both of those numbers are nonsense. Signed draft picks will displace players from the top 51, and even signing an in season emergency player or 15... There isn't anyone available that needs to be paid $5M a year after the season starts. You're replacing league minimum guys at the bottom of the top 51 players.

Realistically, we have ~$10-13 Million to spend before we even have to worry about being close to the cap.

Now, they want to use that to front load some contracts for Carlos/Geno, which isn't the dumbest thing in the world, but what are we thinking Bodine is going to make as one of the worst starting centers in the league? His market is believed to be around $4M...

You wanna talk football? Let's talk.

14 hours ago, Bunghole said:

You forgot his corn flakes.

I think Kroft looked pretty good as the season went on, & has a physical aspect to his game Eifert didn't.

25 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I think Kroft looked pretty good as the season went on, & has a physical aspect to his game Eifert didn't.

I agree. I thought Kroft played admirably last season, and had a couple downfield moves for good YAC that I didn't think a goofy white boy could do. Still, he's not quite emerged as the red zone threat that Eifert was. Sincerely, my hope is that Eifert somehow stays healthy and Lazor adjusts our offense to take advantage of both guys.

31 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Physical? Eifert is 100x the blocker Kroft is. Tyler Kroft was one of the worst starting TEs in the NFL last year from a run blocking standpoint. 

1 minute ago, omgdrdoom said:

Physical? Eifert is 100x the blocker Kroft is. Tyler Kroft was one of the worst starting TEs in the NFL last year from a run blocking standpoint. 

The only thing Eifert has blocked recently is the view of anyone sitting behind him.

Archived