Bengals to sign Preston Brown

Just now, Jamie_B said:

I know nothing about him. Looking just at his stats he seems like a solid mike backer, in terms of tackles. How is his pass coverage?

As per the article I posted, he's from Cincy and wanted to come home (the Bills wanted to keep him).

The writer of the article was pretty excited, at least.  I believe he plays Mike so it fits our biggest need at LB.

24 minutes ago, rcarpenter62 said:

Very nice. I would love to hear the reason(s) why this is only a 1 year deal... be it the player or the employer's decision.

Can only hope the Bengals feel a little burned by the last 2 FA LBers they signed. I hope.

I love this move, best move of the off season so far. Brown is a Northwest grad that played at Louisville. He's a solid, dependable player that will upgrade the linebacker unit. He might not be as talented as Burfict but he's not going to be suspended for dumb shit or cost the team by committing stupid penalties. 

He's the 2nd best LB on the team at worst. Going into the off season I want the Bengals to go after Nigel Bradham or Brown. Bradham took big money to stay with the Eagles, so getting Brown is a big time win.

This move just solves a huge problem and opens up the draft even wider. We can make a concerted effort to improve the OL while addressing other areas of concern. We should come out of the draft in pretty solid shape going into next year. I'm feeling really psyched about this and all the off season moves so far.  

45 minutes ago, bengaled said:

This move just solves a huge problem and opens up the draft even wider. We can make a concerted effort to improve the OL while addressing other areas of concern. We should come out of the draft in pretty solid shape going into next year. I'm feeling really psyched about this and all the off season moves so far.  

I wonder if Burfict's pending suspension had anything to do with this?  We started off last season 0-3 while Vontaze was out.   Can't afford to have all three spots filed with marginal back ups or rookies the first 4 games.

5 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I wonder if Burfict's pending suspension had anything to do with this?  We started off last season 0-3 while Vontaze was out.   Can't afford to have all three spots filed with marginal back ups or rookies the first 4 games.

I wouldn't be surprised one bit.

The weird thing about this whole thing is that it's (apparently) only a one-year deal.  We'll see if Hobknob gets anything out of him in the inevitable video introduction.

3 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

I wouldn't be surprised one bit.

The weird thing about this whole thing is that it's (apparently) only a one-year deal.  We'll see if Hobknob gets anything out of him in the inevitable video introduction.

it is strange.  I have to assume he is the one who wanted the 1 year deal.  Maybe he just wants to play one more year for one nice paycheck and in front of his family and friends?  Went to Northwest High School in Colerain Township.  Really good school so he may be thinking about CTE and that one more nice paycheck and I am set for life.    

I read an interview that was recently done with Joe Thomas and he said one of the reasons he decided to hang it up was he was having memory loss and he didn't know if it was from football or old age.  Joe, you are 33 years old.  

7 hours ago, Jason said:

This thing with the Bills is getting a little weird. :lol: 

2c2766ac8c2edc9150fc5e405e3c2abe.jpg

Whatcha doin?

100+_MG_6128.jpg

Aw nuthin... Chewin grass, trampling some tourists..  Just buffalo stuff yknow

sleepy_tiger_by_bex_nel-d3j1apf.jpg

Y'all got any more of those free agents? 

6103651.jpg

Send nudes.

8 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

I love this move, best move of the off season so far. Brown is a Northwest grad that played at Louisville. He's a solid, dependable player that will upgrade the linebacker unit. He might not be as talented as Burfict but he's not going to be suspended for dumb shit or cost the team by committing stupid penalties. 

He's the 2nd best LB on the team at worst. Going into the off season I want the Bengals to go after Nigel Bradham or Brown. Bradham took big money to stay with the Eagles, so getting Brown is a big time win.

There is a reason that every DC he's played for as Pro has given him the radio helmet and had him call the defensive signals. Is it just me or does anyone else see a young Dhani Jones?

He's one of the worst LB's in the league in coverage, his stats are "meh" and he's decidedly average overall. The best thing to be said about him is that he isn't 35, injury prone or named Dhani Jones, AJ Hawk, Karlos Dansby or Keith Minter. Not excited about this at all. Glenn was a MUCH better signing than this and it's not close.

One of the players that I thought could be a sensible upgrade in free agency for the Bengals. He was on my top three list of linebackers I'd hope they'd pursue.

Preston Brown is a big, hard hitting LB who is also a sure tackler. Although he's not going to get you a lot of sacks, he gets in the backfield and shuts down the run. He will make a number of stuffs on the run during the season. He's known to be a beast on third and fourth down, typically making plays to deny a first down. He's solid through and through when it comes to tackling. He is sub par in coverage. He's a big dude and has never been projected to be a cover LB.

At the end of the day...

Preston Brown > Kevin Minter

Preston Brown > Vincent Rey

Preston Brown > Rey Maualuga

This is a pretty good scouting report on Brown:

Brown has been a key piece to the Bills’ defense since he was drafted in the 3rd round of the 2014 draft. He’s viewed by most as merely an old school thumper MLB, but this assessment is completely wrong, in this writer’s opinion. Brown was a 3-down LB since his rookie season and the QB of the Bills’ defense under different coordinators and schemes. He has good quickness for his size, which allows him to not be an obvious liability in coverage. Pro Football Focus had him with a 70.4 rating in coverage snaps, a respectable grade for a guy who is supposed to be too slow to play on 3rd downs. As far as tackling, you can’t do much better than his league-leading 144, and a 23.0 PFF tackle efficiency rating, good for 4th in the league among inside linebackers. He’s also the definition of reliability, playing every meaningful defensive snap of this season. Brown played his best football when it mattered most, earning a 86.5 PFF overall grade against the Jaguars in the AFC wild card round, the 3rd best performance by an inside linebacker in this year’s playoffs so far. At 25 years old, his best playing days are still in front of him.

On the other hand, maybe Brown isn’t really what McDermott want as the prototypical LB for his defense. He’s a big guy who lacks ideal speed at the position for the modern NFL game. Opposing offensive coordinators consistently tried to exploit Brown putting him in space against quick backs and slot receivers. Brown also isn’t the most aggressive linebacker at the line of scrimmage, showed by his low 7.1 PFF run stop percentage and poor 50.1 PFF pass rush grade. He’s very reliable, but he lacks elite playmaking skills at the position, rarely forcing or recovering fumbles, sacking opposing QBs, or making interceptions. The Bills surely can get an upgrade at his position, but it will cost a good amount of money in free agency or a high draft pick.

The Bills will have to make a decision about their productive but somewhat limited middle linebacker. The smart thing to do is let him test the market and then decide if they can bring him back at the right price. Brown looks like a guy who won over the coaching staff with his leadership, work ethic, and communication skills. He surely showed he can produce in this scheme and can still get better going forward. If the Bills can bring him back on a team-friendly deal, then I think they will, instead of opening up yet another hole on their roster. Brown is underrated by the Bills’ fan base, but I’m certain he’s appreciated by his coaches.

https://www.cover1.net/should-he-stay-or-should-he-go-lb-preston-brown/

3 hours ago, Bunghole said:

He's one of the worst LB's in the league in coverage, his stats are "meh" and he's decidedly average overall. The best thing to be said about him is that he isn't 35, injury prone or named Dhani Jones, AJ Hawk, Karlos Dansby or Keith Minter. Not excited about this at all. Glenn was a MUCH better signing than this and it's not close.

Well, at this point he is the 2nd best LB on the roster and for the 1st 4 games, will probably be our best LB.

11 hours ago, jrandom42 said:

There is a reason that every DC he's played for as Pro has given him the radio helmet and had him call the defensive signals. Is it just me or does anyone else see a young Dhani Jones?

God, I hope not.

And he couldn't be that good if he played for Northwest and Kerry Coombs didn't recruit him for Colerain.

1/2 :ph34r: or less... ;)

Bengals hit a homer with signing of MLB Brown

Posted 22 hours ago

hobson60x60.jpgGeoff HobsonEditorBengals.comFollow Me Blog

031618-brown-preston-art.jpg

Preston Brown: new man in the middle.

How much does Preston Brown love Cincinnati?

He lives downtown so close to Paul Brown Stadium that he can bike to his new job.

Despite offers to train in the offseason in the sun and fun, he always returns to Ignition Sports hard by I-275 in suburban Mason, Ohio and to join his football-coach dad for drills at the University of Cincinnati.

Even though he never missed a game during his four NFL seasons in Buffalo and emerged as one of the league’s more productive linebackers, he took a one-year-I’ll-show-you-deal with his hometown Bengals Friday thought to be at $5 million.

“Growing up I always dreamed of playing here,” said the kid from College Hill who wore a Cincinnati, Ohio T-Shirt as he signed on the bottom line. “Today I fulfilled that dream and I couldn’t be happier.”

And how much do the Bengals covet Brown?

Even though they spent more than they envisioned in free agency with the Cordy Glenn trade and the Tyler Eifert deal, Brown’s contract quickly came together Friday morning with Cincinnati-based agent Brian Hamilton making it an all hometown story. Brown may be the first guy the Bengals have signed with a Chad Johnson Fat Head in his basement.

How much did they want him?

Brown is an unrestricted free agent that counts against gaining draft picks in the free-agent compensation formula.

“You’re going to love this move,” said Clif Marshall, the former Ignition director. “He eats, breathes, and sleeps football. He comes from a football family. That’s what you’re getting a relentless guy who is going to be a leader for you.”

The Bengals kept their week of free-agent surprises rolling Friday when they didn’t have to leave Cincinnati to find a tag-team partner for linebacker Vontaze Burfict and inked Brown, the NFL leading tackler this past season.

Here’s evidence that the reports of Tez Trade talks were bogus. The signing of Brown, the ex-middle linebacker for the Bills, allows Burfict to stay at his preferred spot at WILL and has the coaches excited about teaming the two in the middle of the field. It gives them two NFL tackling champions, a title Burfict won in 2013 at WILL in a Pro Bowl season.

Believe it that Burfict is one of the many draws.

“Look at the defensive line. Look at the linebackers already here. It was something that definitely attracted me,” Brown said. “Burfict is one of my favorite players in the whole league so to get an opportunity to play with him and behind Geno Atkins, I couldn’t pass it down.”

Since Brown came into the league in 2014, Burfict has struggled with injuries and suspension and has played just 36 games. But it shows you how good he is that he still leaves an impression on guys like Brown.

031618-brown-sign-art.jpg

Preston Brown signs on the line in Cincinnati, Ohio.

“I just like the way he plays with that passion and emotion. Making plays in the backfield, intercepting the ball. He does everything,” Brown said. “I think that definitely helps me being with a guy that’s had so much success in the league already.”

Bengals linebackers coach Jim Haslett, another former Bills linebacker, can’t get enough of the guy.

“He’s durable. He’s played lot games. He controls the middle in the run game,” Haslett said. “He’s big, he’s athletic, and he can run the middle of the field. I really liked him when he was coming out in 2014. He was my top free agent.”

Another reason the Bengals like the deal: Brown doesn’t turn 26 until midway through the season.

And here’s why Haslett really like the deal. Brown is a 260-pound load that can move. No, Haslett says, he’s not a throw-back Nubber playing MIKE.

“He’s a modern linebacker,” Haslett said. “He’s just a big one.”

But Burfict might miss the first four games. According to ESPN, he’s appealing a four-game suspension for violating the league’s policy on performance-enhancing substances. If Burfict doesn’t win the appeal, it marks the third straight season Burfict has started the season on the suspended list. He missed the first three games in each of 2016 and 2017 for violating player safety rules.

Brown is a Gold Star special, a Cincy kid that played his high school ball at Northwest High School before he starred at Louisville. Brown looks to be a pure 4-3 MIKE backer, a solid guy with solid production. He’s never missed a game in his four seasons, he never comes off the field (he could team with Burfict in the nickel package) and they love the leadership skills he displayed in Buffalo after arriving as a third-round pick.

“Look at him on tape and you can tell he’s a leader of their defense,” Haslett said. “They went through a number of head coaches and coordinators, so I think that will help.”

Marshall, now the strength and conditioning coach for Indiana University basketball, sent Brown Puff Daddy’s “I’m coming home,” on Friday. That’s the place where the Chad Johnson Fat Head and the Chad and T.J. Houshmandzadeh bobble heads are still in the basement.

“Corey Dillon, Chad Johnson, T.J. All the guys everybody loved,” Brown said of his favorites. “Dream come true.”

Archived