Burfict in trouble again

Just now, SF2 said:

Fixed it for you.

ill take him for whatever games we can.. have you seen the other linebackers?

like thats some good argument.. fanbase sure as hell forgot the dhani jones, times, kim herring satefy days, atrrell hawkins DB days...   i suppose having a top defense for 8 years does that but give me a break.. burfict for 12 games is better than more than half the league for 16...

2 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

ill take him for whatever games we can.. have you seen the other linebackers?

like thats some good argument.. fanbase sure as hell forgot the dhani jones, times, kim herring satefy days, atrrell hawkins DB days...   i suppose having a top defense for 8 years does that but give me a break.. burfict for 12 games is better than more than half the league for 16...

What are you bitching about?  I never said he sucked, just that he is a self inflicted  part time player. We started off 0-3 last year while he was fishing somewhere.

According to the reports, the failed drug test happened on December 27th.  Burfict has two main points to his appeal:

1. He was prescribed the medication to recover from his concussion as well as his shoulder injury against the Lions on the 24th.

2. Since he was already ruled out for the season, there couldn't possibly be any way the drugs could give him an "advantage" or performance enhancement.

Now, I don't know how these things usually go, or how often players use these arguments in appeals.  It of course *sounds* plausible, but it could all be BS.  What we'd really need to know are the actual guidelines the league has for this - if a player is out for the season, are doctors free to prescribe certain drugs to that player for recovery, including potentially "banned" substances?  I know it sounds unlikely, but considering it's in the league's best interest that players recover quickly, maybe it's fine if they follow a schedule?  I guess it matters which type of PED he had in his system as well... HGH, eh, nah, but one of those quick-acting oxygen-enhancement ones, ok, that's different.

At the end of the day we're likely never going to know the actual guidelines, and we can be pretty much certain this suspension is going to happen.

36 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

According to the reports, the failed drug test happened on December 27th.  Burfict has two main points to his appeal:

1. He was prescribed the medication to recover from his concussion as well as his shoulder injury against the Lions on the 24th.

2. Since he was already ruled out for the season, there couldn't possibly be any way the drugs could give him an "advantage" or performance enhancement.

Now, I don't know how these things usually go, or how often players use these arguments in appeals.  It of course *sounds* plausible, but it could all be BS.  What we'd really need to know are the actual guidelines the league has for this - if a player is out for the season, are doctors free to prescribe certain drugs to that player for recovery, including potentially "banned" substances?  I know it sounds unlikely, but considering it's in the league's best interest that players recover quickly, maybe it's fine if they follow a schedule?  I guess it matters which type of PED he had in his system as well... HGH, eh, nah, but one of those quick-acting oxygen-enhancement ones, ok, that's different.

At the end of the day we're likely never going to know the actual guidelines, and we can be pretty much certain this suspension is going to happen.

From what I understand about failed PED tests, if he wins the appeal he gets the sentence revoked,  if he loses he gets 4 games.  They have never reduce these sentences I don't believe.

The fact is there is a very specific policy in place for this stuff and your point  "2. Since he was already ruled out for the season, there couldn't possibly be any way the drugs could give him an "advantage" or performance enhancement."  is meaningless.   You are not allowed to have them in your body at any time.  Since it was found in his body during the season, it is a 4 game ban.   It doesn't matter if he is on IR or injury list.  If he had used a masking agent to try and alter the test it would be a 6 game ban.

He can't take anything on the NFL's do not take list.  No exceptions but he has the right to appeal the sentence.  They rarely win appeals for these things.  Don't think anyone has but not positive.  If he is going the route that it was prescribed by his doctor (highly unlikely it was a team doctor) he doesn't have a chance in hell of winning his appeal.

3 minutes ago, SF2 said:

From what I understand about failed PED tests, if he wins the appeal he gets 0 off.  If he loses he gets 4 games.  They don't reduce these sentences.   

The fact is there is a very specific policy in place for this stuff and your point  "2. Since he was already ruled out for the season, there couldn't possibly be any way the drugs could give him an "advantage" or performance enhancement."  is meaningless.   You are not allowed to have them in your body at any time.  Since it was found in his body during the season, it is a 4 game ban.   It doesn't matter if he is on IR or injury list.  If he had used a masking agent to try and alter the test it would be a 6 game ban.

He can't take anything on the NFL's do not take list.  No exceptions but he can appeal the sentence based on extenuating circumstances.  They rarely win appeals for these things.  Don't think anyone has. 

Thanks.

Yeah, I can't remember anyone winning either.  To be honest, if anyone does "win" we probably never hear about a suspension in the first place.  I still think JJ Watt took "a year off" to get the HGH/roids out of his system, likely with league approval or even direction (dude just shrank way too much in that period).

4 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

Thanks.

Yeah, I can't remember anyone winning either.  To be honest, if anyone does "win" we probably never hear about a suspension in the first place.  I still think JJ Watt took "a year off" to get the HGH/roids out of his system, likely with league approval or even direction (dude just shrank way too much in that period).

Kinda like how Michael Jordan "decided" to try baseball?  Of course it has nothing to do with he and his father's gambling. 

Burfict finding new ways to miss games.  This will be 3rd straight season he will be suspended for several games at the beginning of the season.  The problem is that he is best LB on the team, at least when he is available.  Injury and illegal hits cost him parts of the past four seasons and it's happening again.  Shit just keeps happening to Burfict and he better play well we he comes back or his future could be in doubt.

15 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Burfict finding new ways to miss games.  This will be 3rd straight season he will be suspended for several games at the beginning of the season.  The problem is that he is best LB on the team, at least when he is available.  Injury and illegal hits cost him parts of the past four seasons and it's happening again.  Shit just keeps happening to Burfict and he better play well we he comes back or his future could be in doubt.

It is pretty obvious the Bengals knew this was coming so they went and got an LB in FA.  Fuck this guy, what kind of message does it send to the locker room that this guy can do whatever the fuck he wants and gets treated like a Kardashian?   Draft the fucking stud LB in the first round and wave goodbye to this dumbfuck.

13 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

No chance. Even at 4 games gone he's still one of the best LBs in the league and would get swept up with the quickness.

oh I'm not questioning his ability to play football....my question is.. can you really count on the guy anymore?  

I mean this is four years in a row for this stupid shit...when is enough enough? if it's not suspensions, it's the concussion protocol .

always something. 

If the Bengals had done a better job acquiring or developing LB they wouldn't be in this situation.  He's the best one they have and their defense is better with him.  I would understand if they get rid of him and it's well past the point of being deserved.  I just doubt they do it now when they don't have anyone waiting in the wings.  

53 minutes ago, SF2 said:

It is pretty obvious the Bengals knew this was coming so they went and got an LB in FA.  Fuck this guy, what kind of message does it send to the locker room that this guy can do whatever the fuck he wants and gets treated like a Kardashian?   Draft the fucking stud LB in the first round and wave goodbye to this dumbfuck.

I'm with SF here.....But if they do move on we need an adequate replacement ..Roquan Smith or Tremaine Edmunds would be nice but they'll be gone by the time we pick..I was looking forward to drafting either McGlinchey or James Daniels @ 21 and taking another good O Lineman in Round 2..That may have changed now...

Archived