Bengals take a step back after six busy days

Bengals take a step back after six busy days

Posted 16 minutes ago

hobson60x60.jpgGeoff HobsonEditorBengals.comFollow Me Blog

031618-brown-preston-art.jpg

Preston Brown was Jim Haslett's top-rated backer in free agency.

We said when this week began anything goes. But the Bengals had no idea the first week of free agency would work out like this.

It was so good that they’re all but turning the open sign to close after going over their free-agent budget by about $10 million with a series of uncharacteristic moves spearheaded by the trade for Bills left tackle Cordy Glenn.

“It’s been a good day. It’s been a good week,” said offensive coordinator Bill Lazor Saturday after successfully recruiting back-up quarterback Matt Barkley.  “We had some things we wanted to accomplish. We did a great job as an organization, I thought. Coaches and personnel together evaluating what the options were.  And then we went out and got it done. I couldn’t be happier.”

Lazor changed the topography of his offense with an NFL proven left tackle in a trade, retained a potential game-breaking tight end in Tyler Eifert that Lazor has never had available as a play-caller, and picked up old friend Barkley as an unrestricted free agent.

Throw into the mix NFL tackling leader Preston Brown at middle linebacker, another unrestricted free agent and a local guy the Bengals coveted but never thought they had a chance of signing as linebacker coach Jim Haslett’s top free agent, and well, they’ll deal with the $10 million later.

Try early May. The Bengals figure to jettison some contracts but it’s doubtful they would do it before the draft.

It also means they have to go into the draft looking for a center because all indications are they don’t have room to sign Russell Bodine. In fact, it looks like they’re down to veteran minimum deals.

Head coach Marvin Lewis indicated shortly after their second straight losing season that all options were on the table and the front office delivered. They didn’t think they could find a sanely priced left tackle in free agency and were happily stunned when the Bills agreed to talk about swapping Glenn and their first-round picks.

It’s not the type of thing the Bengals do, but they haven’t had a left tackle need like this in almost 20 years, either. The last time they traded for a guy that started 10 games the next season was cornerback Deltha O’Neal 14 years ago.

The Bengals also don’t like to sign UFAs because it puts a dent in their ability to get compensatory draft picks. But they thought Brown was too good to pass up and Barkley returns to Lazor in comfortable re-union that gives them a veteran back-up with AJ McCarron’s similar experience.

Plus, there’s also this working in the Bengals’ favor to get picks. Their two UFA signings (Brown and Barkley) haven’t been exactly blockbusters and the Bengals UFAs keep going. Running backJeremy Hill became the fourth to leave when he signed with the Patriots Friday and they’re keeping an eye on Bodine and cornerback Adam Jones.

Jones could always come back at a reduced rate as a nickel corner/returner. But at the moment it looks like they’re on hold after six days they went out of the box to get better.

“We’re on the right track,” Lazor said of his offense.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-take-a-step-back-after-six-busy-days/f964a1a6-3f43-45cc-9e77-4109bb05be44?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

54 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

There are some good safeties out there on the FA market, I would love to see the Bengals go after Eric Reid. I know he's a controversial player because of he political views but he can definitely play at a high level and help this defense.  

I don't think he's the type they're after, it seems they're trying to target a rangy FS style of safety. I'd definitely take Reid over Shawn Williams though.

Mike Brown seems like the type of guy who won't spring for sprinkles when he takes his kids to DQ for the monthly ice cream cone. All of this complaining about spending money on talent is ridiculous, especially when you consider the NFL gives the owners hundreds of millions of dollars to pay the players. Maybe if Brown spent money on quality players he would make more money on ticket sales, merchandise, licensing fees, etc..

48 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Mike Brown seems like the type of guy who won't spring for sprinkles when he takes his kids to DQ for the monthly ice cream cone. All of this complaining about spending money on talent is ridiculous, especially when you consider the NFL gives the owners hundreds of millions of dollars to pay the players. Maybe if Brown spent money on quality players he would make more money on ticket sales, merchandise, licensing fees, etc..

I think the TV money and matching funds are set.  With no blackout rule there's even less incentive to spend.  What's the difference in income between an 8-8 team and 10-6? A few hundred extra season ticket holders might cover one guy's salary, and that's if they win and if people buy more tickets.  $10-20 million in cap space is a certain figure, it's money they did not spend.  Why risk it?

Hobknob had already declared the Bengals done spending after they re-signed Eifert.  They then proceeded to sign two more UFA that will count against their precious comp picks.  Goes to show how well he can read the tea leaves.  I don't think it's very difficult to understand.  It was widely reported that the Bengals had ample cap space as well as money rolled over from last season. Not to mention the savings from declining Pacman's option.  The money was there if they were willing to spend it.  

15 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I think the TV money and matching funds are set.  With no blackout rule there's even less incentive to spend.  What's the difference in income between an 8-8 team and 10-6? A few hundred extra season ticket holders might cover one guy's salary, and that's if they win and if people buy more tickets.  $10-20 million in cap space is a certain figure, it's money they did not spend.  Why risk it?

How much of the concessions and merch does ownership get to keep? I'd think that would factor in

12 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

How much of the concessions and merch does ownership get to keep? I'd think that would factor in

I thought I read somewhere that concession profits at PBS go into the stadium fund?

Merch money goes to the NFL & some portion of that is divided between the teams (after Goodell, Reebok, and the Indonesian kid sewing it get paid) so it doesn't benefit them directly one way or the other.   Whether ol' Musty understands that other businesses often give away stuff like that just for the brand recognition value alone is another question.  There are more Budweiser fans than Bengals fans & they're still launching swag into the crowd at your local tractor pull.  Marketing (and winning games) is how you increase your market (!) but we haven't been doing much of either lately.    

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I don't think there are any concessions profits, per se.

The rights are sold to a company (Aramart) for a lump sum and any profits/losses are not on the Bengals.

They have already made their money before the season starts and it is BIG bucks for the concession rights.

23 hours ago, T-Dub said:

8-8 or 10-6 isn't the only option, this team went 12-4 a few years ago and they still have many of the same players from that team. 

If Brown didn't, in his infinite wisdom, to go cheap on the offensive line then the Bengals could have much better success on the field which equates to more revenue. Cincinnati is a football city, Ohio is a football state;the people are starving for success and if Brown could have success on the field he could substantially increase his market share.

Think of how many people that live in southern and eastern Ohio that are Stealers fans, mainly because they want to support a winning team moreso than regional loyalties. Also with the Cleveland Browns sustained ineptitude it is extremely pausible that if the Bengals had more success, i.e. a Super Bowl appearance or even a victory, then they definitely increase their revenue. 

Mike Brown's penny pinching ways have cost this franchise on and off the field. By not re-signing key players because of some out dated philosophy or going after free agents that can help the team Brown is limiting the fan base, ruining the reputation of the team, and leaving money on the table.

13 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Oh, preaching to the choir in my case.  I was speaking to Redeemer's risk-averse view of things.  

Kinda like "Should I get the blue 1996 Lumina with rusted wheel wells and paint chips flying off of it, or the black one?"

CIN-Bengals-Header.png

Players added

LB Preston Brown (71.6), DI Chris Baker (68.4), QB Matt Barkley (n/a), OT Bobby Hart (37.7), TE Tyler Eifert (n/a), P Kevin Huber (n/a)

Players lost

QB AJ McCarron (n/a), Edge Chris Smith (67.1), OT Andre Smith (47.9), RB Jeremy Hill (n/a)

Biggest draft needs

Edge defender, interior offensive line, linebacker

Overview

It wasn’t a matter of when or if McCarron was going to leave Cincinnati, it was to whom. McCarron heads to Buffalo while the team also lost running back Hill to another AFC East member in the Patriots, paving the way for the backfield to officially belong to second-year back Joe Mixon. Where offensive tackle Andre Smith wasn’t a strong protector in the pass-blocking game, he was the lone Cincinnati offensive lineman to grade positively in run-blocking, immediately creating a need. Hart enters the fold after by far his worst season as a pro but prior to 2017 with the Giants, he had positive grades in the run game in both seasons. The draft may be where the Bengals head to find a strong run-blocker to allow Mixon and Giovani Bernard ample running room in 2018.

On defense, Cincinnati losses Chris Smith but brought in Baker to bolster their defensive interior. Longtime friends of swapping defensive linemen, Baker joins from Tampa where he had a down season after two extremely successful seasons in Washington. This team is still a ways off and news of another potential suspension to linebacker Vontaze Burfict will hurt this team once again. If Burfict’s appeal is denied, they will start their fourth consecutive season without their linebacker in the starting rotation, and adding a likely replacement is something they could also look to address in the draft.  @PFF_Cam

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-state-of-every-nfl-team-after-week-1-of-free-agency?utm_content=bufferbe99b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

Archived