2018 Reds Season Thread

Jason

14 hours ago, Elflocko said:

Serious or no?

Honest question as I'm way out of the loop on Reds/baseball, etc...

Am I serious or is that a serious option?  I can't speak to the second, IDK enough about baseball contracts and what they might get for him.

Personally, I am totally serious.  He seems kind of joyless to me & about as much fun as wet socks.  Obviously I'm not in the dugout, but my impression of him is that he's the type everyone walks on eggshells around.  He seems massively uptight.  So there's that.  More practically, the Reds are a long way from being anything even resembling competitive, and Votto is struggling early.  He's hitting .250 & has a <300 OBP.  Billy Hamilton has more RBI's.  I'm fairly certain he will rebound, but I see no reason that should not be for a different club that's willing to send some top prospects in return.  The Reds don't need Votto right now, but sure as shit need an infusion of young talent if they're to do anything notable in the next 2-3 years.

That being said, I believe his contract gives him the ability to block any potential trade.  

The Reds are obviously going to have another losing season.

After this season that will be 13 out of the last 16.

18 out of the last 25 seasons.

That is just horrible. I think baseball is broken.

I don't know how they expect to keep it going with some markets being minor leagues for the bigger markets.

3 hours ago, oldschooler said:

The Reds are obviously going to have another losing season.

After this season that will be 13 out of the last 16.

18 out of the last 25 seasons.

That is just horrible. I think baseball is broken.

I don't know how they expect to keep it going with some markets being minor leagues for the bigger markets.

S'why the NFL has a salary cap, though they certainly find ways to work around it & benefit the money teams.

Baseball has guaranteed contracts, though.  That + a salary cap would cripple unlucky teams.

I have a lot of faith in Jim Riggleman as a manager. He did a very admirable job with the Cubs. I know we don't have top talent, but I fully believe a really decent manager can make up for a lot of lack of team talent. Felipe Alou, Joe Madden and Jack McKeon are 3 managers that come to mind that did a lot with little presumed talent at the time.

20 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Without knowing the ERA's of the pitchers they faced during those stretches this stat is meaningless.  Price didn't make Nephew the GM.  The team is going to struggle until they hire a real GM.

On 4/30/2018 at 1:53 PM, T-Dub said:

Without knowing the ERA's of the pitchers they faced during those stretches this stat is meaningless.  Price didn't make Nephew the GM.  The team is going to struggle until they hire a real GM.

This.

Nepotism is killing this club.

Archived