2018 Reds Season Thread

Jason

Anyone know why we're trading for a struggling, oft-injured vet with a 7.00 ERA on a one-year contract? Does Nephew Williams himself know or did he just want to show everyone he has on his Big Boy pants?

I though Mes was kind of a lummox & 10-ply soft on defense, but how does this trade help the Reds?

5 hours ago, Elflocko said:

I don't recall from the article, but is Devon's dead weight contact more than Shitty McPitchface's? If so, there's your answer...

With the close to $6 mil they gave the Mets it saves the Reds around $1.5 M.    

15 hours ago, Elflocko said:

And there ya go. That's a couple of ivory back scratchers...

Yeah MLB's guaranteed contracts make it easy for a team to get themselves in a hole & stay there.  The big-money clubs that can afford to gamble & lose have a tremendous advantage.

On 5/10/2018 at 5:20 AM, T-Dub said:

Anyone know why we're trading for a struggling, oft-injured vet with a 7.00 ERA on a one-year contract? Does Nephew Williams himself know or did he just want to show everyone he has on his Big Boy pants?

I though Mes was kind of a lummox & 10-ply soft on defense, but how does this trade help the Reds?

16 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Yeah I don't think the Mets were going to give us much of anything for him regardless.  Maybe they can turn Harvey into a prospect or two? All about the farm system at this point.

With Mes, you can probably only flip him to an AL club as designated hitter, maybe. Just not a very good catcher anymore with that hip. With Harvey, if he catches some kind of lightning in a bottle, you might be able to get some kind of prospect at the deadline.

This team has blundered too many trades for prospects with their stars at this point that I wouldn't be surprised if they were in the cellar for awhile longer. Got nothing for Cueto or Chapman. Got an all-star caliber third baseman for Alfredo Simon though. Figure that out? Best prospect coming up is a third baseman who is going to have to shift to second and take one of our best hitters out of the lineup (unless someone can shift to shortstop). Still trotting Hamilton out there and the best centerfield prospects are a few years away from the majors. Young pitchers that still can't find control.

• 1 month later...

https://www.mlb.com/news/billy-hamilton-robs-cervelli-with-great-catch/c-281642970

According to Statcast™, the play had only a 2 percent catch probability, tied with a catch by Milwaukee's Lorenzo Cain on March 30 for lowest this season. Hamilton covered 83 feet of ground in 4.3 seconds and reached a sprint speed of 30.1 feet per second.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gotta give y'all credit for coming up with something original to break up a no hitter. 

http://www.espn.com/mlb/recap?gameId=380724117

CINCINNATI -- Austin Gomber was ready to start the bottom of the seventh, still working on a no-hitter, when a siren sounded and lights started flashing. Great American Ball Park's fire alarm had malfunctioned.

That was a new one for the St. Louis Cardinals' rookie left-hander, who got an unexpected 7-minute, 30-second break.

"At first, I didn't know what was going on," Gomber said. "I turned around and saw everything was flashing."

Gomber lost his no-hitter and his shutout after the alarm was silenced in the seventh inning, but Dexter Fowler hit a two-run shot in the 11th on Tuesday night, leading the Cardinals to a 4-2 victory over the Cincinnati Reds.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2018/08/02/nationals-vs-reds-series-preview-is-washington-ready-to-make-a-run/?utm_term=.ade68a2a6509

The Washington Nationals have their team now. They did not trade away their biggest pieces. They are going to try to make things work.

Their general manager sent a message, too. “If you’re not in, you’re in the way,” he said after he designated reliever Shawn Kelley for assignment early Wednesday morning. Mike Rizzo is standing behind Dave Martinez, and he hopes this group and this manager will be enough to make a run. If they are going to do so, they must make it soon and must show well against the resurgent Reds this weekend at Nationals Park. Below, find a few things to think about ahead of their four-game series with Cincinnati, a team they have not played since early April, when everything was far different than it is now.

• 1 month later...

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/joey-votto-gives-reds-fans-his-jersey/c-293174720

Joey Votto was just warming up like usual prior to Monday's matchup with the Pirates when he caught something interesting out of the corner of his eye: a Reds fan, sitting down the first-base line, who just so happened to be wearing a T-shirt that read "Votto for President."

After some inspection, Votto decided that, yes, he would like to own a T-shirt that says he should be elected president. And, being Joey Votto, he had plenty to offer the fan in return........ 

Archived