What's a catch? New rules for the 2018 season

"Football move" still leaves enough ambiguity for a catch to mean whatever they want it to depending on the situation. 

"Well he didn't perform a football move, but he could've !"

Yeah ok.  :rolleyes:

& if the receiver no longer has to control the ball to the ground, can the ground now cause a fumble? 

3 hours ago, Dr Tarzan said:

possible to paste them,   I refuse to subscribe to twitter....?     thx!

You could just click on the picture and the article will load.

But here is what Peter King said ...

• Interesting agenda at the league meetings. The NFL gathers in Orlando on Sunday for the annual league meetings, and most eyes will be on the emphasis on simplifying what a catch is. I’ll report on that in my Monday column. But the NFL will also consider four interesting rules changes. Though I think none are likely to pass, we’ll see if one or more of them picks up momentum in Florida.

One: The Niners, Cards and Chargers are proposing that West Coast teams have no more than three 10 a.m. body-clock games on their schedules; in other words, when Pacific Time teams travel to the Eastern or Central time zones, they’d only be allowed three games starting at 10 a.m. PT.

Two: Washington is sponsoring a proposal subjecting personal fouls to replay review.

Three: The Chargers are proposing that roughing-the-passer and defenseless-player penalties be subject to replay review. (So many teams hate the delays of replays as it is, and I don’t see either of these winning.)

Four: The Jets have proposed something the NFL needs to do, and soon—though I doubt it passes now; there’s just not enough enthusiasm for it. The Jets proposed a maximum 15-yard penalty for defensive pass interference, instead of the current spot-foul rule. It’s ridiculous that hand-fighting 40 yards downfield can result in a field-tilting penalty.

All four of these initiatives require 24 of 32 teams to vote yes.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/21/draft-top-five-picks-mmqb-mailbag-peter-king?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

I always thought they should change it to where if an Offense gets called for holding inside their

own 10 yard line, that instead of it being half the distance to the goal, it should also be

whatever down and distance it was, plus 10 yards for the hold. Like it if it was 1st and 10

from the 8, it would be 1st and 14 after the hold. Why not 1st and 20 from the 4 yard line?

I've never understood why it isn't that way.

I think they should change the number of coach's challenges to two lost challenges. Why should they be penalized for being right? I think there is something that if you get both right, you get another one, but if the refs keep screwing up, why can't you keep challenging until you lose twice? I know that sounds like the recipe for a 4 hour game, but the solution would be to get the refs to make better calls initially instead of having the fall back on replay mentality. And make the reviews quicker. Watch it a couple of times, if it's not blatantly the wrong call, move on.

On 3/21/2018 at 5:14 AM, schotzee said:

The high and mighty Stealers got burned by this rule.:1violin: We must reverse this immediately.:rolleyes:

Are they sure they want it changed? They benefit from it every time except for when they play the pats. Those are good odds for them.

10 hours ago, oldschooler said:

I always thought they should change it to where if an Offense gets called for holding inside their

own 10 yard line, that instead of it being half the distance to the goal, it should also be

whatever down and distance it was, plus 10 yards for the hold. Like it if it was 1st and 10

from the 8, it would be 1st and 14 after the hold. Why not 1st and 20 from the 4 yard line?

I've never understood why it isn't that way.

LOL, Too much math.  I guess the idea is being that close to your goal line is punishment enough.  You idea does make sense though. 

My proposed rule change:  Eliminate the initial coin flip.  Visiting team always gets to pick offense, defense, or goal to defend.  

The home team gets the benefit of being at home.  This helps to even things out a bit.

13 hours ago, Cricket said:

My proposed rule change:  Eliminate the initial coin flip.  Visiting team always gets to pick offense, defense, or goal to defend.  

The home team gets the benefit of being at home.  This helps to even things out a bit.

But then we wouldn't have this epic yet rare screwing over of Pittsburgh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zki61ZmKf4U

On 3/22/2018 at 9:55 PM, Cricket said:

Surprisingly, I've never considered that or heard of it before. I would definitely vote for it.

On 3/22/2018 at 9:55 PM, Cricket said:

Good idea, however, won't happen because there is advertising money connected to it.

Archived