Dan Hoard and Dave Lapham Podcast: Times They Are A Changin

17 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Using what for bait, I wonder?  Can you trade comp picks now?

Yes. Last year was the first year you could trade comp picks.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/14274468/nfl-owners-ok-compensatory-pick-trading-2017

One other twist with compensatory picks is that teams are actually allowed to trade them this year. Trading compensatory picks was illegal until last year when the NFL decided to change the rule and allow teams to swap picks. The 2017 draft was the first time that trading compensatory picks was allowed. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-hands-out-compensatory-picks-for-2018-nfl-draft-cowboys-packers-big-winners/

6 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Yes. Last year was the first year you could trade comp picks.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/14274468/nfl-owners-ok-compensatory-pick-trading-2017

That's cool, I can see those being kind of valuable depending on how things shake out.

Like say a team has their eye on a certain pick, but doesn't want to reach for them because they're rehabbing an injury or they can run really fast but are questionable football players. Maybe that player falls to the end of the round and there we sit with our golden 3rd round comp pick.

CASH MONEY

13 hours ago, oldschooler said:

I think it is worth waiting until round 2 for Price. And there will be a decent center or BPA left if Price is gone by then. I don't think we should be that desperate for a center. Might sound crazy since we don't have a true center right now, but we will. Whether it's a draft pick or a short term vet FA.

To clarify, I would be fine with drafting our franchise Center, but don't think we should draft one just to fill the slot. Or we could be stuck with another Bodine for 4 years.

20 minutes ago, Hooky said:

I think it is worth waiting until round 2 for Price. And there will be a decent center or BPA left if Price is gone by then. I don't think we should be that desperate for a center. Might sound crazy since we don't have a true center right now, but we will. Whether it's a draft pick or a short term vet FA.

To clarify, I would be fine with drafting our franchise Center, but don't think we should draft one just to fill the slot. Or we could be stuck with another Bodine for 4 years.

I'm banking on Pollack being a better coach and talent evaluator than his predecessor.

6 minutes ago, schotzee said:

I'm banking on Pollack being a better coach and talent evaluator than his predecessor.

That's what it comes down to. If I could have more faith in the coaching staff, I wouldn't even care and trust whatever they decide.

10 minutes ago, Hooky said:

That's what it comes down to. If I could have more faith in the coaching staff, I wouldn't even care and trust whatever they decide.

I hear ya. Not sure who was responsible for selecting Travis Frederick with the Cowboys when Pollack was there, but he seems to get major props for his development.

19 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Lapham thinks they're going to trade up, maybe a few times in different rounds.

wouldn't surprise me if they trade up in R1 with Derwin James as the target......seems like they kinda have a hard on for that dude. 

10 hours ago, schotzee said:

I would trust a blindfolded Marvin throwing a dart at their draft board left-handed over Alexander's opinion. 

If someone can drug ol' Musty's leftover oatmeal on draft day & keep him from redeeming anybody, I think we're going to have a good one.

17 hours ago, spicoli said:

wouldn't surprise me if they trade up in R1 with Derwin James as the target......seems like they kinda have a hard on for that dude. 

It wouldn't surprise me either and I definitely wouldn't hate it. Seems they think he could fill in during Burfict's absence also.

9 hours ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

I think we are going to trade up for Mcglinchey in round 1

I would not be surprised to see them trade up but not for McG.

1 minute ago, schotzee said:

It wouldn't surprise me either and I definitely wouldn't hate it. Seems they think he could fill in during Burfict's absence also.

^^Agree.

My Fab Four to trade up for if they slid a bit would be (in order):

Edmunds

D. James

R. Smith

Vander Eich

Burfict simply is not a full season player any more with suspensions and injuries.  We're only getting him for 3/4ths of this season before we start.  I don't think his career will be a lot longer, either with the injury stuff.  I think linebacker has to be a priority with Burfict not being dependable and Brown only on a one year deal.  Vigel is meh.  Having one of those linebackers would give us Burfict, Brown, new guy behind a solid D line (Michael Johnson the weak link), good corners and OK safety.  Make the new DC happy and it goes back to the cliche about winning with defense.  Rounds 2-4 load up on O line and maybe Andy's replacement.

Lots of good OT's and Centers.  If targeting that position, specifically, they could trade down and still get a good one.

Of the list above, I like Edmunds the best but he will go too high for a reasonable trade but if James or Smith start to slide, get one.  I really like Vander Eich.  Read where the Squeels like him like they were WJIII when we drafted him so it would be good to screw them again, too.

2 hours ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

I get the feel they are targeting moving up in rounds 2 and 3.  It doesn't seem like they have any interest in moving up from 21 and there really isn't a prospect worth doing so for either. Prospects 15-75 all seem to be similar values and not really tiered.

I agree.  Was it the TE position a few years ago that the Bengals had targeted a player in the second round only to have him picked just before...then targeted another in the third round and the same thing happened?  They also didn't want to "reach" and ended up not drafting a player at a position of need.  If you have the later round picks to trade, go and get your guy.

On 3/24/2018 at 3:42 PM, spicoli said:

It would me. I don't think they have the necessary ammunition without crippling themselves throughout the rest of the draft. I would be very surprised to see it happen, in fact. A better scenario would be targeting a guy like Justin Reid, with the hopes he makes it to #46.

1 hour ago, bengaled said:

It would me. I don't think they have the necessary ammunition without crippling themselves throughout the rest of the draft. I would be very surprised to see it happen, in fact. A better scenario would be targeting a guy like Jordan Reid, with the hopes he makes it to #46.

if he makes it to 15 or so....you never know..

7 hours ago, Cricket said:

I agree.  Was it the TE position a few years ago that the Bengals had targeted a player in the second round only to have him picked just before...then targeted another in the third round and the same thing happened?  They also didn't want to "reach" and ended up not drafting a player at a position of need.  If you have the later round picks to trade, go and get your guy.

They've just missed on so many guys over the years.  I believe TY Hilton was one.  There were a couple other big time ones that I cannot think of right now.

3 hours ago, spicoli said:

if he makes it to 15 or so....you never know..

Ok, assuming it would go as you wish. What would you sacrifice to get there and let's examine that? Would you give up our early 3rd plus our 4th round pick, which is the capital it would cost us to move that far? For me, that's a bridge over troubled waters. This team isn't that close, one which you can say one player like him takes us over the top and gets us there. I'll pass on that option.

Archived