Tobin opens up on No. 21

Bengals meeting contingent has new look

Posted 58 minutes ago

hobson60x60.jpgGeoff HobsonEditorBengals.comFollow Me Blog

021816-tobin-duke-art.jpg

Duke Tobin is part of the Bengals' NFL meeting contingent.

ORLANDO, Fla. _ The NFL meetings went into all-day session Monday but the Bengals don’t expect votes on the competition committee changes until Tuesday, when the revised catch rule is expected to garner the most attention.

With club president Mike Brown back in Cincinnati recuperating from artificial hip surgery, the Bengals’ contingent had a new face with the addition of 24-year-old Elizabeth Blackburn joining her parents in Monday morning’s session. Executive vice president Katie Blackburn, Brown’s daughter, and her husband, vice president Troy Blackburn, reported that he’s feeling fine and could be back in the office as soon as next week.

“When we get back to Cincinnati we’re going to run Mike in the 40,” Troy said.

Elizabeth Blackburn became the fourth generation to sit in a league meeting. The franchise began with Mike Brown teaming with his father and Bengals founder Paul Brown in the AFL summits, but it’s not exactly her first league meeting.

“It’s the first one she wasn’t at the pool,” Katie Blackburn said.

Also on hand for various sessions is Duke Tobin, the Bengals director of player personnel, as well as head coach Marvin Lewis.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-meeting-contingent-has-new-look/79cc00a7-5f7c-48ff-93cb-8115301030a9?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

Updated article....

Tobin opens up on No. 21

Posted 5 hours ago

hobson60x60.jpgGeoff HobsonEditorBengals.comFollow Me Blog

021816-tobin-duke-art.jpg

Duke Tobin is part of the Bengals' NFL meeting contingent.

ORLANDO, Fla. _ After their whirlwind six days in free agency earlier this month, the upbeat Bengals believe they have not only improved their team but also their draft position.

During a break Monday at the NFL league meeting, director of player personnel Duke Tobin, mastermind of the Cordy Glenn trade that is the centerpiece of the their offseason, says the deal opened up the draft for the Bengals when they swapped picks with Buffalo for Glenn and gave up No. 12 in exchange for No. 21 in the first round.

Tobin said their evaluation of the draft became a key component of the deal. Since they view it as a draft that has more solid players than elite ones, they felt like 21 offered excellent value.

“This opens up a lot of different positions for us. Quite frankly, a ton of different positions,” Tobin said. “When you’re picking lower in the first round you are picking from a broader pool and if you pick high in the first round, your pool is much is much smaller. It’s a big pyramid.”

The Glenn deal hit them twice in a good way, Tobin said. It gives them a reliable NFL left tackle, meaning, “There’s no longer the projection you had from the college kids. This is a known NFL quantity.” Plus, it gives them flexibility by filling a need not using the draft. “Anytime you fill a need,” Tobin said, “you help your team.”

Tobin reiterated what he said last month at the NFL scouting combine and called the offensive line crop deep. But he also said there are defensive linemen and defensive backs in the mix at No. 21 and indicated the presence of current offensive linemen such as T.J. Johnson,Trey Hopkins and Christian Westerman that has dabbled at center means the Bengals aren’t forced to replace center Russell Bodine with that 21st pick.

“T.J. Johnson is a guy we drafted and have on a second contract and a lot of guys in this league develop at that point,” Tobin said. “We see value in players available at 21 across the board and just not on the offensive line.”

Tobin made a rare appearance this week at the meetings because a couple of scouting assignments were in the area and there is some extra room at the table. Bengals president Mike Brown is back in Cincinnati recuperating from artificial hip surgery and Bengals vice president Paul Brown is preparing for surgery for a torn ACL.

With the AFC North given an extra practice squad spot this season for an international player, Tobin checked out a nearby scouting combine on Saturday before coming over to the meetings. And he’s got a pro day nearby on Wednesday.

The meetings went into all-day session Monday but the Bengals don’t expect votes on the competition committee changes until Tuesday, when the revised catch rule is expected to garner the most attention.

With the 82-year-old Brown rehabbing, the Bengals’ contingent had a new face with the addition of 24-year-old Elizabeth Blackburn joining her parents in Monday morning’s session. Executive vice president Katie Blackburn, Brown’s daughter, and her husband, vice president Troy Blackburn, reported that he’s feeling fine and could be back in the office as soon as next week.

“When we get back to Cincinnati we’re going to run Mike in the 40,” Troy said.

Elizabeth Blackburn became the fourth generation to sit in a league meeting. The franchise began with Mike Brown teaming with his father and Bengals founder Paul Brown in the AFL summits, but it’s not exactly her first league meeting.

“It’s the first one she wasn’t at the pool,” Katie Blackburn said.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Tobin-opens-up-on-No-21/79cc00a7-5f7c-48ff-93cb-8115301030a9?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I wonder what DB(s) he is referring to?  There aren't any safeties in that range.  Will we really draft another first round CB?

Ronnie Harrison is gonna be pretty flippin close, IMO.

I still say they've got their eyes on Derwin James though...if he makes it to 15, you never know..

On 3/26/2018 at 10:40 PM, spicoli said:

I still say they've got their eyes on Derwin James though...if he makes it to 15, you never know..

Yeah if the team wants Harrison and doesn't feel like he'd make it to our 2nd rounder (Packers picking right before us in the 2nd need safety help desperately), I wouldn't be all that surprised to see that in the late first round. I'd rather them take someone else at #21 and then trade up a spot or two above the Packers in the early 2nd to grab a safety if that's the plan though.

We have some decent picks this year so I won't rule out a trade back up but I highly doubt it. We typically never trade up in the 1st and I think they just see who's available and take BPA at 21. If the guys they want are gone, they're gone, I can't see Mike Brown trying to guess where James and others are going to be drafted and try to jump ahead of those teams. He doesn't seem to like to use his resources that way. WTS I'd be totally fine with trading up for a really good safety like James, just not sure it would happen.

On 3/26/2018 at 10:43 PM, spicoli said:

continuity and all that.

never know until the opportunity presents itself though. 

Ehhh it's not like we've never seen him play and he's looked pretty much terrible on the field. We took Bodine in the 4th round and started him for a few years, I don't think we need to take a Center at 21 for him to be guaranteed the starting job. I can imagine any C we take in the first 4 rounds has a very good chance of being our starter in 2018.

13 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I said the same thing, but then I remembered who was making that call: the same shlub that gave us Dennis Roland and "Nasty" Nate. 

Yea,  I think we have a better turd polisher now than his predecessor. At least I'm hoping. We shall see.

25 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

Lest we not forget the x-factor in all of this could well be the departure of Paul Alexander.

Long overdue IMO.  I would not be entirely shocked to see either/both Ced & Fisher suddenly look competent.

On 3/26/2018 at 7:59 PM, PatternMaster said:

If Johnson couldn't beat out Bodine, how good is he?

TJ was kinda marginal at guard, but the few chances he had at C I thought he played wayyyy better than Jeffro.   Running lanes that were nonexistant with Bodine magically appeared with TJ in the position.   It was maddening to never see him get another chance to start a game at C at least as a Look-see circumstance.

On 3/26/2018 at 10:40 PM, spicoli said:

I’d love to get James, but to trade up for him probably means good bye to one of the top 3 centers in this draft. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I’d love to get James, but to trade up for him probably means good bye to one of the top 3 centers in this draft. 

to be clear, I think James goes top 10, possibly even as high as #4 to Hue and the Browns.....that being said, prognosticators have him all over the place so you just never really know for sure.....let's say he somehow miraculously slides down to the 17-18 range, you don't think they'd be all over that? we already know they love the kid.

and how do we know they're even looking for a C early? maybe they're happy with Ford/Hopkins/Westerman competing for that spot and then just getting a mid round guy for depth/development.......never know.

57 minutes ago, spicoli said:

to be clear, I think James goes top 10, possibly even as high as #4 to Hue and the Browns.....that being said, prognosticators have him all over the place so you just never really know for sure.....let's say he somehow miraculously slides down to the 17-18 range, you don't think they'd be all over that? we already know they love the kid.

and how do we know they're even looking for a C early? maybe they're happy with Ford/Hopkins/Westerman competing for that spot and then just getting a mid round guy for depth/development.......never know.

They might.  But I'm personally sick of mediocre centers. :smile: 

54 minutes ago, Randle P McMurphy said:

They've taken one in the first round every other year for how long now?  It's that time again.  lol

I wouldn't be surprised.  

Josh Jackson would be the only guy I can think of in that range, and even that's a stretch ....kind of a bad year for first round corners, IMO.

21 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Long overdue IMO.  I would not be entirely shocked to see either/both Ced & Fisher suddenly look competent.

See, and I know there’s no logical reason to go with that feeling, but I have been imagining it could be the case, too.

5 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

See, and I know there’s no logical reason to go with that feeling, but I have been imagining it could be the case, too.

It's entirely logical -  we replaced a position coach who, at best, was known for a weird & unique way of doing things. 

Archived