Tobin opens up on No. 21

20 hours ago, spicoli said:

to be clear, I think James goes top 10, possibly even as high as #4 to Hue and the Browns.....that being said, prognosticators have him all over the place so you just never really know for sure.....let's say he somehow miraculously slides down to the 17-18 range, you don't think they'd be all over that? we already know they love the kid.

and how do we know they're even looking for a C early? maybe they're happy with Ford/Hopkins/Westerman competing for that spot and then just getting a mid round guy for depth/development.......never know.

I'd love to get James also.James Daniels C out of Iowa.

On 3/30/2018 at 12:02 PM, T-Dub said:

It's entirely logical -  we replaced a position coach who, at best, was known for a weird & unique way of doing things. 

Yeah, man, I’m with you there. The logic follows, but, to think a position coach can turn a walking turnstile into a starting LT in just a single offseason, for some reason, seems to be a stretch. And, I desperately want it to be the case.

Time will tell. A long, underwhelming few months of Reds baseball and it’ll be time to get our hopes up all over again.

13 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

Yeah, man, I’m with you there. The logic follows, but, to think a position coach can turn a walking turnstile into a starting LT in just a single offseason, for some reason, seems to be a stretch. And, I desperately want it to be the case.

Hopefully he won't be asked to start any time soon, but yeah it's probably a long shot.  This is why I'm not thrilled with betting the entire 2018 season on Cordy Glenn's foot.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Hopefully he won't be asked to start any time soon, but yeah it's probably a long shot.  This is why I'm not thrilled with betting the entire 2018 season on Cordy Glenn's foot.

Yeah...hopefully they continue to address through the draft.

Although, I’ll say this...

Cordy Glenn’s foot > Ced Ogb’s fundamentals (in terms of my hopes).

On 3/26/2018 at 8:39 PM, Jason said:

I wonder what DB(s) he is referring to?  There aren't any safeties in that range.  Will we really draft another first round CB?

Probably Josh Jackson. Possibly Denzel ward one of the 2 will be there. Then there's also mike Hughes. Who is just a baller. I doubt we pay dennard and Dre k has an out after next year so we need CBS.

On 3/31/2018 at 10:43 PM, thezerawkid said:

Yeah...hopefully they continue to address through the draft.

Although, I’ll say this...

Cordy Glenn’s foot > Ced Ogb’s fundamentals (in terms of my hopes).

No doubt, but the insistence on riding out those 2 bets is mind-boggling.  Why is this team so reluctant to invest in a deep OL? 

I look at where the Bengals sit in the 1st round now and I think back to 2009.  I REALLY wanted the trade back for extra picks in the in the 1st round of the 2009 Draft and then picj up Alex Mack or Eric Wood depending on how far they dropped.  Instead, the stayed at #6 & took Sugar Tits & his mediocrity.   Mack is still playing with the Falcons with five trips to the Pro Bowl.  Wood just retired after 8 solid seasons & one Pro Bowl trip.  This year, seems to me we already have a superior talent to Sug (Glenn) & a shot at a possible Mack (Daniels) or Wood (Price/Ragnow).  I'm leaning to taking Daniels. He seems like a decade-long talent and after LT, C seems like the most vital spot on the line.  You can probably find a pretty decent RT prospect somewhere in the 2-4 range.  I really want the OL fixed though.

Starters:

OC Daniels

OG Boling

OG Redmond

OT Glenn

OT (2nd/3rd Rd pick) / Hart / Fisher competition

Reserves:

Johnson

Westerman

Hopkins

(Others)

Naw Baby Naw:

Obueghi

Looks pretty good to me.

4 hours ago, snarkster said:

I look at where the Bengals sit in the 1st round now and I think back to 2009.  I REALLY wanted the trade back for extra picks in the in the 1st round of the 2009 Draft and then picj up Alex Mack or Eric Wood depending on how far they dropped.  Instead, the stayed at #6 & took Sugar Tits & his mediocrity.   Mack is still playing with the Falcons with five trips to the Pro Bowl.  Wood just retired after 8 solid seasons & one Pro Bowl trip.  This year, seems to me we already have a superior talent to Sug (Glenn) & a shot at a possible Mack (Daniels) or Wood (Price/Ragnow).  I'm leaning to taking Daniels. He seems like a decade-long talent and after LT, C seems like the most vital spot on the line.  You can probably find a pretty decent RT prospect somewhere in the 2-4 range.  I really want the OL fixed though.

Starters:

OC Daniels

OG Boling

OG Redmond

OT Glenn

Reserves:

Johnson

Westerman

Hopkins

(Others)

Naw Baby Naw:

Obueghi

Looks pretty good to me.

Hernandez price boling a MUCH better iol.

12 hours ago, snarkster said:

Starters:

OC Daniels

OG Boling

OG Redmond

OT Glenn

Looks pretty good to me.

Looks questionable to me.  Rookie centers are bound to struggle, even potentially great ones.  Rookie RT, less so, assuming a rookie starts there, but either way we're looking at a grand total of one returning starter.  Even if this line-up ends up being a great OL it's realistic to expect them to take some time to gel.  Trying to rebuild almost the entire OL in one offseason and hit the ground running is very optimistic at best.  Maybe it happens but I hope everyone doesn't flip their shit if they predictably struggle early on. 

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Looks questionable to me.  Rookie centers are bound to struggle, even potentially great ones.  Rookie RT, less so, assuming a rookie starts there, but either way we're looking at a grand total of one returning starter.  Even if this line-up ends up being a great OL it's realistic to expect them to take some time to gel.  Trying to rebuild almost the entire OL in one offseason and hit the ground running is very optimistic at best.  Maybe it happens but I hope everyone doesn't flip their shit if they predictably struggle early on. 

I agree, hopefully people will manage their expectations. Any team with a new oline coach and at least 3 new starters will probably struggle to play at a high level early in the season

4 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

I agree, hopefully people will manage their expectations. Any team with a new oline coach and at least 3 new starters will probably struggle to play at a high level early in the season

I'm looking at a long term fix.  If Johnson, Westerman or Hopkins have to start until Daniels takes the job, fine, but don't see any of the three as an extended solution.  Yes, there might be growing pains, but IMO, more than two starters from the remaining hodgepodge would be the bad option.  Besides, with a new OL Coach, the whole group is learning a new system anyway.

5 hours ago, T-Dub said:

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

24 minutes ago, Jason said:

A line with better players and better coaching can “struggle” and still be better than the crap-show we displayed last season. 

I agree with Jason. But just because there's only one returning starter, it's not like he's the only vet. Glenn won't suddenly forget how to play tackle because he's on a new team.

1 minute ago, Bunghole said:

I agree with Jason. But just because there's only one returning starter, it's not like he's the only vet. Glenn won't suddenly forget how to play tackle because he's on a new team.

There may be some rust but if he's healthy that's still a big upgrade. 

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

There may be some rust but if he's healthy that's still a big upgrade. 

It's huge. And as Mo Egger said on the radio today (I know, I know) we essentially used our 12th pick on a starting tackle, which was a direct need. And we still get to pick in the first round!

What do you think about us taking a guard like Hernandez in the 1st? The running logic seems to have always been "you just don't take a guard in the first round, they're available later in the draft!". Has that changed for the Bengals or for any team starved for immediate, quality offensive line help, no matter the position? My theory is that if you're married to taking an olineman in the first, take the very best one available when you pick, regardless of the position. We need this pick to pan out if we're going to contend next season and not be another bust.

44 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

What do you think about us taking a guard like Hernandez in the 1st?

what's wrong with Redmond/Westerman fighting it out for the RG spot? I have zero problems starting one of those two.

get McGlinchey in R1 to play RT and grab a C in R3, Price or Cole can likely be had at 77.....line is set for the next 5 years. 

1 hour ago, Bunghole said:

It's huge. And as Mo Egger said on the radio today (I know, I know) we essentially used our 12th pick on a starting tackle, which was a direct need. And we still get to pick in the first round!

What do you think about us taking a guard like Hernandez in the 1st? The running logic seems to have always been "you just don't take a guard in the first round, they're available later in the draft!". Has that changed for the Bengals or for any team starved for immediate, quality offensive line help, no matter the position? My theory is that if you're married to taking an olineman in the first, take the very best one available when you pick, regardless of the position. We need this pick to pan out if we're going to contend next season and not be another bust.

I see the deal as a possible win-win situation.  The Bills move up to potentially help them get a franchise QB candidate while the Bengals receive a LT in Glenn who is better than any they could have taken at 12 while still getting another first round talent @ 21.  If Cincinnati can fill two OLine holes (Glenn & Daniels, McGlinchey, Hernandez, whoever) with the 12th pick it sounds like a huge win to me.

1 hour ago, snarkster said:

I see the deal as a possible win-win situation.  The Bills move up to potentially help them get a franchise QB candidate while the Bengals receive a LT in Glenn who is better than any they could have taken at 12 while still getting another first round talent @ 21.  If Cincinnati can fill two OLine holes (Glenn & Daniels, McGlinchey, Hernandez, whoever) with the 12th pick it sounds like a huge win to me.

Same here, and I pray that's what they do. My only concern is that since they recently failed at the same philosophy, going into a draft KNOWING they weren't resigning both Pro Bowl level linemen (and I do think to this day that they thought they were going to somehow easily resign Whitworth) that they'll be conservative and balk at the possibility of making the same mistake twice. 

God help us if they draft a WR, RB or CB in the first round (although a CB wouldn't kill us, as long as we augment the oline with the next pick or two). I just want them to be smart, identify that we have skill positions pretty much set on offense and draft the best olinemen talent available so our QB has time to operate. That's all this league is about on offense anymore anyway. Passing, and how much time do you have to do it.

3 hours ago, Bunghole said:

My favorite player in the draft bar none. I have a hall of fame graded on him. I think Hernandez and Nelson are hall of. Famers wheen all is said and done. And when u got to go up against dts like Suh and Donald, need an elite interior. I would spring to the podium. For hernanDez and we're definitely interested 

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

what's wrong with Redmond/Westerman fighting it out for the RG spot? I have zero problems starting one of those two.

get McGlinchey in R1 to play RT and grab a C in R3, Price or Cole can likely be had at 77.....line is set for the next 5 years. 

No way in hell price falls to 77. He was a mid 20s before injury and and is a guard and a center, top tier at both. Will be ready  to go in 5 weeks. He probably won't last till 46. And redmond/westerman we dont tknow what they are. Hernandez looks like a hall of fame talent. Get Hernandez and price, you'll see 2015 Andy and leveon bell on our team.

Archived