North Korea

oldschooler

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

^ anyone else ever wonder what exact manner of sick, twisted shit he & Kim get up to?   That's a friendship you have to know is based around something like toddler deathmatch.  When some rich dude can't even go to Dubai to satisfy his perversions it has to be something truly foul.

For the sake of our military men and women who will fight in any future conflict, I pray that peace works.   I believe I speak for most of them when I say it doesn't matter what party makes the peace, we'll all be happy.   In other words, I hope Trump succeeds.   

11 hours ago, Numbers said:

For the sake of our military men and women who will fight in any future conflict, I pray that peace works.   I believe I speak for most of them when I say it doesn't matter what party makes the peace, we'll all be happy.   In other words, I hope Trump succeeds.   

Hope sure. But N. Korea has promised to Denuclearize numerous times and Trump didn't exactly get any substantial concessions from them (ie: ways to verify they are doing it) while giving them the promise that we would not have any more military exercises with S. Korea.

Not exactly reassuring, seems more publicity than substantial.

Meanwhile, he cancels a treaty that actually had some teeth with Iran and now Iran is warning N. Korea not to trust Trump.

Call me cynical but I'll believe it when I see it.

13 hours ago, T-Dub said:

"by the end of Trump's first term" is not exactly a fixed date.  That could be a matter of weeks depending on how much dirt comes to light.

I really believe what he said when he was campaigning - that he could shoot someone on Park Ave and his supporters would not care.

I'm also now of the belief that he will never get impeached or resign.

45 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Hope sure. But N. Korea has promised to Denuclearize numerous times and Trump didn't exactly get any substantial concessions from them (ie: ways to verify they are doing it) while giving them the promise that we would not have any more military exercises with S. Korea.

Not exactly reassuring, seems more publicity than substantial.

Meanwhile, he cancels a treaty that actually had some teeth with Iran and now Iran is warning N. Korea not to trust Trump.

Call me cynical but I'll believe it when I see it.

Treaty that had teeth in it?

You are sadly mistaken there Jamie... that treaty was a farce.

Long article from the Washington Post from July 2015, but worth the read in regards to the “Iran treaty”;

If you examine the Iran deal in any detail, you will be horrified as to what is in there. Aside from the nuclear provisions, there is a host of items that betray our allies and give aid, comfort and protection to a sworn enemy of the United States and Israel. The list below comes from nonpartisan, non-ideological explanations of what is in the deal, primarily from the centrist Washington Institute for Near East Policy and the center-left Brookings Institution’s Lawfareproject:

1. There is, in fact, a sunset, as Lawfare notes: “For ten years, [at Natanz] Iran’s (limited) enrichment program will continue exclusively with 5,060 active centrifuges, all of the simplest IR-1 model and all operating in Natanz. If any of these break, Iran may replace them with replacements of the same model. All excess and damaged centrifuges and equipment will be stored under continuous monitoring by the IAEA, also at Natanz. During these ten years, Iran can also continue research and development (R&D) enrichment with existing, more advanced centrifuges, but can only continue testing two of each model. For the bulk of these ten years, Iran will also be largely restricted from creating more centrifuges. After eight and a half years, these restrictions begin to lapse.”

2. At Fordow: “For 15 years, no uranium enrichment will take place.” However, since sanctions peel away beginning as early as eight years out, there is no real penalty that can be exacted.

4. To resolve an inspection dispute, which would almost certainly be the basis for reimposition of sanctions, we need a majority of the group of eight.

5. Satloff explains: “On top of refraining from penalizing Iran for bad behavior, the U.S. and its partners commit to assist Iran to develop in energy, finance, technology and trade. The idea that America and its allies will actually help Iran grow stronger in these areas will sound a discordant note around the Middle East, where the Tehran regime is viewed as the eminence grise behind Bashar Assad’s brutal suppression of his people, the Houthi rebellion against state authority in Yemen, the creeping expansion of radical Shiite influence in Iraq and the activities of some of the most extreme Palestinian terrorist groups.” We, in essence, help Iran to terrorize our allies, including Israel.

6. Lawfare explains: “After eight years . . .the EU will terminate all proliferation-related sanctions and the US will terminate or modify sanctions preventing Iran’s acquiring nuclear-related commodities and services (translation: ballistic missiles).” There is no peaceful purpose for ballistic missiles.

7. We cannot sanction Iran for anything else — bombing Israel, for example. Lawfare says: “Crucially, however, the agreement also recognizes that ‘Iran has stated that it will treat such a re-introduction or re-imposition of the sanctions… as grounds to cease performing its commitments under this JCPOA in whole or in part.’ This seems to acknowledge that as long as Iran complies with the deal, the US and EU will likely be very hesitant to impose new sanctions irrespective of other behavior.”

9. According to the president’s national security adviser, Susan Rice, Iran can use the $100 billion-plus in funds and send that money to Syria, Hamas or Hezbollah (“We should expect that some portion of that money [coming from sanctions relief] would go to the Iranian military and could potentially be used for the kinds of bad behavior that we have seen in the region up until now”).

10. The detained Americans remain in Iran.

Any one of these reasons should be enough to render the deal entirely unacceptable. Together it is hard to see how people in good faith could conclude this is good for the United States or Israel or the West more generally.

Well I certainly feel safer knowing our negotiations with a hostile nuclear power are being handled by someone too self-absorbed to consider the balance of power regionally and too arrogant to listen to the people who do understand it.  If the whole thing blows up in our faces at least we can't say we didn't deserve it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived