Huge rugby player has impressive workout for NFL scouts

Michael David Smith 9 hours ago 

A handful of international athletes who would like to see if they have what it takes to make it in the NFL went to Tampa to work out in front of scouts last weekend, and one athlete stood out: Jordan Mailata.

Mailata is a 20-year-old, 6-foot-8, 346-pound Samoan rugby player who currently competes for a team in Sydney, Australia, and he showed that he has the natural athleticism to play at the NFL level. He had a 5.12-second 40-yard dash and a 4.67-second short shuttle, both of which are excellent times for a man his size.

“I felt today went well,” Mailata told NFL.com. “This was my first chance to go through the positional drills in front of teams and I hope they got a chance to see the progress I have made as I try to master the position.”

Mailata has been working with the same coach who prepared the German wide receiver Moritz Bohringer for his NFL workouts before the Vikings chose Bohringer in the sixth round of the 2016 NFL draft. Bohringer didn’t pan out and is currently out of the league, and that experience may make NFL teams more likely to sign Mailata as an undrafted free agent than spend a draft pick on him. But Mailata is a name to keep an eye on after the draft, when he may get some calls who think he has the raw talent to make an impact, once he learns the sport.

speaking of 7th round.......I'm using one of those 7th round picks on JT Barrett just to make sure I get him in my locker room if I'm Lazor.

that kids leadership and just overall presence in general are off the frickin charts...GREAT guy to have holding a clipboard, IMO. 

The idea has grown on me.

Short yardage line for either O or D.

The return of the running fullback in short yardage.

A two point conversion after every touchdown.

If he can catch a thrown ball smaller than a pumpkin, icing on the cake.

Someone is going to take him sooner rather than later and with out luck, it will be Cleveland.

5th round pick. We've done worse.

Interesting player.

The problem is that if he really is a 2-3 year project, it's tough to keep a developmental guy on the 53-man roster for that long. And if you try to put him on the practice squad someone else could swoop in and steal him whenever. 

On 4/1/2018 at 8:53 AM, High School Harry said:

The idea has grown on me.

Short yardage line for either O or D.

The return of the running fullback in short yardage.

A two point conversion after every touchdown.

If he can catch a thrown ball smaller than a pumpkin, icing on the cake.

Someone is going to take him sooner rather than later and with out luck, it will be Cleveland.

5th round pick. We've done worse.

That's reserved for the next Super Bowl winning kicker.

59 minutes ago, bengaled said:

Quite likely! 

Yeah, that isn't really what I was expecting to see either.

58 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Try clicking on the "Related Stories" link at the bottom.  It may take a few seconds to load,

Lmao. That was funny to watch. I think all but maybe one guy were trying to tackle him high.

6 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Lmao. That was funny to watch. I think all but maybe one guy were trying to tackle him high.

I was thinking the same thing...but I'm not sure what the rules are for tackling in rugby.  Obviously in the NFL, defenders will go for the knees and hope for the best.  

Let this guy lead block on a goal line run. He is a beast!

8 hours ago, Cricket said:

He ran through those junior high kids like shit through a drunken Rothlisburger, boy howdy.

How could we line him up against Jar Jar Binks-Doucher?

14 hours ago, Cricket said:

I was thinking the same thing...but I'm not sure what the rules are for tackling in rugby.  Obviously in the NFL, defenders will go for the knees and hope for the best.  

Let this guy lead block on a goal line run. He is a beast!

Yea, I don't know the rules either. From the look , I would think not supposed to go low. Definitely a beast though, yea.

Archived