Andy Dalton: I think we’re close to returning to the postseason

Andy Dalton: I think we’re close to returning to the postseason

Posted by Charean Williams on April 2, 2018, 9:00 PM EDT
gettyimages-898087088-e1522717195505.jpg
Getty Images

The Bengals ranked 32nd in total offense and 26th in scoring last season, but they showed promise in the final two games: Cincinnati beat Detroit 26-17 and Baltimore 31-27, knocking the Lions and Ravens out of postseason contention.

Andy Dalton is encouraged because coordinator Bill Lazor gets an entire offseason to implement his offense. Lazor replaced Ken Zampese after the Bengals were shut out in their first two games.

“I don’t know a ton [about any changes to the offense], but I’ve really enjoyed Bill Lazor being there,” Dalton said last week. “I know he’s got a plan for us and a plan of how he wants to do things. So for him obviously taking over in the third week last year, he didn’t have a chance to really put his stamp on everything. He was kind of evolving what we were doing. Now it’ll be a chance for him to have a full offseason, full OTAs, training camp to put his stuff in and to do it how he wants to do it. I’m looking forward to that.”

The Bengals went to the playoffs Dalton’s first five seasons, though they lost in the wild-card round all five seasons. They slipped to 6-9-1 in 2016 and 7-9 last season.

But Dalton believes the Bengals are close to getting back to where they were.

“I do,” Dalton said. “If you look at last year, there’s four or five games that came down to the last couple of minutes of the game and under a touchdown difference. I think if a couple of those games had flipped we could have made the playoffs last year, but obviously we didn’t finish some of these games. I think we’re close. I think we’ve got the right guys. We’ll add some more once the draft happens. At this point, I’m just looking forward to getting back and working with everybody and being around everybody.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/02/andy-dalton-i-think-were-close-to-returning-to-the-postseason/?sf186079847=1

If you look at last year, there’s four or five games that came down to the last couple of minutes of the game and under a touchdown difference. I think if a couple of those games had flipped we could have made the playoffs last year, but obviously we didn’t finish some of these games

He's not wrong.  The Titans game immediately comes to mind.  And as bad as 2016 was, it could have been much different if they'd had a kicker who could kick.  There's such a thin line between a losing season and a playoff season in the NFL.  Some teams find a way to stay on the right side of that thin line better than others, whether it's heart or discipline or just wanting it more or whatever.

6 hours ago, Bleeds Orange said:

He's not wrong.  The Titans game immediately comes to mind.  And as bad as 2016 was, it could have been much different if they'd had a kicker who could kick.  There's such a thin line between a losing season and a playoff season in the NFL.  Some teams find a way to stay on the right side of that thin line better than others, whether it's heart or discipline or just wanting it more or whatever.

The second stealers game too.

The inspiring words of a leader. I think we're close. Yes, there were close games they lost. The Packers game...oh the Packers game. There were also close games they won so coulda, woulda, shoulda. Worst game in 2017 to me. The 33-7 whipping at the hands of the 5-11 Bears.

Archived