Eric Reid to visit Bengals

Hooky

10 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

Why?  Do you disagree with the reason he’s kneeling?  I’m genuinely curious. Or are you joking?

You can protest in other ways without disrespecting the flag. Stand.

10 hours ago, USN Bengal said:

Ok guys... let’s NOT turn this into a political issue. If this trend continues, I will move this to the J &D forum.

I started this thread in hopes of it being a football discussion, but it was obvious that it would turn political. But I was a little surprised that the politics started on the first reply. I joked about Rick boycotting shortly after. That probably didn't help. 

15 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I'd be surprised honestly, the market for Ried has been dead. Which is surprising as he is talented.

I would be interested in where the Cincy Jungle snippet "real chance he signs" stemmed from.

Update: Just saw that it was from an Ian Rapoport tweet. Hopefully it's not the same kind of speculation Schefter had about Marvin leaving.

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

Yet Reid is complaining in the initial article of this thread that nobody will sign him. There was a similar report on Kaepernick last year that he was offered a deal by a team. If true, both reports debunk the victim card and may say something about his character and if we should sign him. Personally, I would be really excited if they sign him, politics aside.

Somebody will sign him for the right price including us.   Spotrac has a new page that calculates what Reid's market value should be.  It is a pretty cool page and is based on his age, player ranking and how other players at his position are paid. .  They have him at $8.6 mil a year for 4 years.   BTW, Reid just passed on a 1 year deal with the 49ers because he wants a much longer deal with way more guaranteed money, something the 49ers can't afford after signing Jimmy G to a billion dollars.   The idea that nobody wants him because he took a knee is nonsense.    There just are not many teams that want to spend that kind of money on a safety. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/eric-reid-12298/market-value/

BTW, I didn't care that Kaepernick took a knee originally.   When he wore the Castro shirt to an "Anti-Oppression" press conference, I realized he was just an ignorant buffoon.  Some of our closest friends in New Orleans escaped Cuba in the early 60s.  Castro was a racist and murderer who oppressed gays and Christians.

22 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Somebody will sign him for the right price including us.   Spotrac has a new page that calculates what Reid's market value should be.  It is a pretty cool page and is based on his age, player ranking and how other players at his position are paid. .  They have him at $8.6 mil a year for 4 years.

Here's where my head is getting scratched. What's he looking for from a contract? Is he looking for that kind of coin? I just can't see the Bengals parting with that kind of money for a safety of any level. Are they willing to pay even "Iloka Money" 5 years @ $30 million? I simply can't see it. Especially when their Minister Of Misinformation Geoff Hobspin has them needing to borrow money from the Lumina fund to get through the season as is. Always worth a look but, this whole thing isn't adding up. Not many players are willing to give a discount to play for the Bengals.

I know some have speculated that Michael Johnson could get cut which is a possibility of course (even if I don't think it's likely) but even then...what about future years? They are trying to re-sign Dunlap and Atkins long term and are already crying poor. How do they fit another $7-8 million guy in? Again, I am not saying it's not possible. I am just following their typical operating process.

All told, if the numbers are what is speculated and they signed him, it would be a very uncharacteristic move for this club. I'm interested to see how it pans out.

38 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Here's where my head is getting scratched. What's he looking for from a contract? Is he looking for that kind of coin? I just can't see the Bengals parting with that kind of money for a safety of any level. Are they willing to pay even "Iloka Money" 5 years @ $30 million? I simply can't see it. Especially when their Minister Of Misinformation Geoff Hobspin has them needing to borrow money from the Lumina fund to get through the season as is. Always worth a look but, this whole thing isn't adding up. Not many players are willing to give a discount to play for the Bengals.

I know some have speculated that Michael Johnson could get cut which is a possibility of course (even if I don't think it's likely) but even then...what about future years? They are trying to re-sign Dunlap and Atkins long term and are already crying poor. How do they fit another $7-8 million guy in? Again, I am not saying it's not possible. I am just following their typical operating process.

All told, if the numbers are what is speculated and they signed him, it would be a very uncharacteristic move for this club. I'm interested to see how it pans out.

Exactly and the situation is not unique to us.  Most teams cant or don't want to spend this kind of money on a safety.  They would rather spend a little more to get a better corner.

15 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

That was his value last month. He hasn't had a visit with any team since then.

Dude is only 26... Frankly, if you can get him on an Illoka deal, you worry about Carlos and Geno next year.

3 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

That was his value last month. He hasn't had a visit with any team since then.

Dude is only 26... Frankly, if you can get him on an Illoka deal, you worry about Carlos and Geno next year.

If we can get him on Iloka type deal it would be a great day.  Probably quite a few teams would sign him to that.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Somebody will sign him for the right price including us.   Spotrac has a new page that calculates what Reid's market value should be.  It is a pretty cool page and is based on his age, player ranking and how other players at his position are paid. .  They have him at $8.6 mil a year for 4 years.   BTW, Reid just passed on a 1 year deal with the 49ers because he wants a much longer deal with way more guaranteed money, something the 49ers can't afford after signing Jimmy G to a billion dollars.   The idea that nobody wants him because he took a knee is nonsense.    There just are not many teams that want to spend that kind of money on a safety. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/eric-reid-12298/market-value/

BTW, I didn't care that Kaepernick took a knee originally.   When he wore the Castro shirt to an "Anti-Oppression" press conference, I realized he was just an ignorant buffoon.  Some of our closest friends in New Orleans escaped Cuba in the early 60s.  Castro was a racist and murderer who oppressed gays and Christians.

I just want to watch football. I don't care about the players personally. I don't know them. I want players that make the team better. The more low key the better. I try to avoid any side shows. I hate wading through the controversial and personal interest stories to get my real football news like Signings, draft, injuries, etc. The rest of it is of little interest to me. I wasn't politically charged by the protests. I just wanted them to go away. They were like somebody standing in front of the TV when I'm trying to watch the game. Do that somewhere else.

20 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

Perhaps. But, if they are, why isn’t he visiting them?

Have you read anything I wrote?  He most likely wants way more money than an Iloka deal and from a moneyball perspective, is worth more money.  This is supposed to be the contract he hits the lottery.  Probably won't get another shot at a big contract and a one year deal  with SF is risky.   He may end up having to go the one year deal route if he thinks he is that good.    LaMarcus Joyner signed a 1 year $11.3 mil contract at Free Safety with the Rams rather than sign a lower paying multi year but it is a risky bet.

He doesn't decide which teams to visit, the teams asks him.  If the price is way too high, few will invite him.  Same thing happened to Eifert.  He was expecting some big number interest in FA but it never happened.   He had few options other than to sign an incentive laden 1 year deal with us.   He has a 2015 type year and he will get plenty of offers next year. 

3 hours ago, Hooky said:

I would be interested in where the Cincy Jungle snippet "real chance he signs" stemmed from.

Update: Just saw that it was from an Ian Rapoport tweet. Hopefully it's not the same kind of speculation Schefter had about Marvin leaving.

I hope it happens. He's already better than both of our Saftey's so from a purely talent aspect it's a good add and with signing Preston Brown as well, the D is going to be that much more talented.

The added bonus of me seeing some teeth knashing is just icing on the cake.

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

I just want to watch football. I don't care about the players personally.

See, I'm the opposite... Football is about the players.

I get where you're coming from... But that's like saying "I just want to watch American Idol, I don't care about the singers".

Different strokes I guess.

28 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

See, I'm the opposite... Football is about the players.

I get where you're coming from... But that's like saying "I just want to watch American Idol, I don't care about the singers".

Different strokes I guess.

I meant as far as off the field. Like you might like to watch the American Idol contestants sing, but not care about what they do when they're not singing on the show.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

I hope it happens. He's already better than both of our Saftey's so from a purely talent aspect it's a good add and with signing Preston Brown as well, the D is going to be that much more talented.

The added bonus of me seeing some teeth knashing is just icing on the cake.

Rick already started preemptive gnashing.

On 4/9/2018 at 3:23 PM, Hooky said:

Rick boycotting in 3,2,1....

:24:

23 hours ago, B.A.B. said:

Why are you assuming you know what his agent is asking? He was rated higher than both our safeties last season even while they were putting him into a bit of a hybrid role. The safety market is dead. Get him on a multi-year deal

I agree! I hope we sign him!

1 hour ago, Rick said:

I am guessing Marvin will sit him down and tell him we don’t do that in Cincinnati, if he gets an offer.

I am big on forgiving.

Please stop. Let this post be your last post on this idiotic stance.

Even if none of this changes your mind, we know how you feel.

No need to make another thread go to the political forum.

Like I told you in one thread that you madeon this subject that got moved,

it's better to have an educated opinion than just an opinion.

76.9% of the population is white. And 13.3% is black.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/US/PST045217

13.3% of the population ends up being 25% of people killed by cops.

That means black Americans are 3 times as likely as white Americans to be shot and killed by police officers.

http://www.newsweek.com/police-shootings-killings-us-unarmed-black-reform-michael-brown-764787

Not enough? Watch the video...

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/veteran-kaepernick-take-a-knee-anthem/

It was never about disrespecting the flag. Never. If you ignore what it was really about, and make it into something else,

then you are part of the problem. Don't be that guy. Either way, stop posting about it, please. It's ridiculous.

Archived