Iowa Center James Daniels visiting Bengals

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Price maybe.  I really think Ragnow goes in 1.

Its a weird draft.   A lot of higher ranked QBs than most, but not many can't miss studs at other positions.   Take out the QBs (and I am not sold on any of them) and there only 8 or 10 great players.  There are no can't miss O tackles.   One great guard in Nelson.  One great DE in Chubb, Davenport is very good.   Edmunds at ILB along with Roquan Smith at OLB.   Ward at Corner.  Fitzpatrick is a great safety as well as Derwin James.   Saquon Barkley is a stud at RB but it drops off quickly.   Maybe Vita Vea at DT? 

After you get past those guys you have a huge group of very good very similar players.   There are no standout WRs or TEs.  Some nice centers but do we really need to use a high pick for one unless we think Daniels will become a beast?  Elflein was a 3rd rounder last year and on the All-Rookie team. 

My opinion is there will be large number of nice players from about 16 to 64.   I just don't see a huge different between picking at 21 or 35 in this draft at most positions. 

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

I agree with your last paragraph a lot. Part of why I think all 3 centers could go by 46. I could see Daniels already gone at 21, Ragnow by 32 and Price by 45. 

There has only been 1 time this century that 3 centers were picked in the first 2 rounds. 7 times no centers were picked in the first round to include last year.   In the Mike Brown era, we have never taken a center in a round higher than the 3rd and he took one once in the 3rd in 1997.    Let us not forget many had John Ross going late in the first round but we took him at 9.   My hope is Marvin and co have more control over this process this year.   

11 hours ago, bengaled said:

...which is exactly my reasoning why we should wait until the 2nd round, thereby gaining a much better overall player in the first and coming out of the first two rounds in a much better position. It's clear we have different mindsets on this. That's cool.

If one of them is the BPA at 21, fine, but I like you, think there will be a solid starter at C available at 46 and maybe at 77.

20 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

If one of them is the BPA at 21, fine, but I like you, think there will be a solid starter at C available at 46 and maybe at 77.

So why not take the best one instead of hoping there's one left over in Rd 3?

10 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

That's why they are bringing them all in.  Just because we think one is better, it doesn't mean they do.  And they may end up in the position where they have three or even five rated similarly.  

8 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

That's why they are bringing them all in.  Just because we think one is better, it doesn't mean they do.  And they may end up in the position where they have three or even five rated similarly.  

If they can't make a distinction between 5 different players that'd be pretty bad.   Again I'd have to wonder why you wouldn't take the best of the 5 instead of whoever is left over.  

22 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

If they can't make a distinction between 5 different players that'd be pretty bad.   Again I'd have to wonder why you wouldn't take the best of the 5 instead of whoever is left over.  

Here, I'll make it simple.  The May not like who you like!  Hell, all of this board liked ponder and whoever the Hell the Broncos drafted in 2011, and I don't think either is in the league anymore.

Just now, kennethmw said:

Here, I'll make it simple.  The May not like who you like!  Hell, all of this board liked ponder and whoever the Hell the Broncos drafted in 2011, and I don't think either is in the league anymore.

Has nothing to do with who I like, not sure what your point was there?

On 4/18/2018 at 1:18 PM, SF2 said:

He is maybe 15 lbs lighter than Price and is not coming off any injuries.  He can start day 1.  He will easily put on 20 lbs in the next 4 months. 

20lbs of good weight in 4 months is tough, I could see 10 but man that would be ALOT of eating.

6 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

There are several centers in the NFL who play around 290. Kelce for Philly comes to mind. Daniels isn't a road grader, he's an athlete. That's what makes him special.

I agree he's a special player and one who would be a decent addition. But I also think he's likely not the best fit in the system that Pollack runs, however. A decent fit, yes...the best fit, NO.

57 minutes ago, SF2 said:

10 lbs of ass fat and 10 lbs of muscle.  

I can see that, but when you said good weight I was thinking you meant 20lbs of muscle in 4 months, that isn't easy.

Edit: My fault, I misread you didn't say 20 of "good weight" you said 20 period.

Yeah he can do that.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

I can see that, but when you said good weight I was thinking you meant 20lbs of muscle in 4 months, that isn't easy.

Edit: My fault, I misread you didn't say 20 of "good weight" you said 20 period.

Yeah he can do that.

No prob.  Guy is a physical specimen but a bit light.  A little ass fat won't hurt him.  At 315 and 2 years older, he could be a bad ass center.  In the mean time, a little fat won't hurt a 20 year old.  Not sugar tights fat mind you.

I seriously doubt we draft him though.

On 4/19/2018 at 11:27 AM, T-Dub said:

I think the issue is more that Mike Brown simply will not take a center in the first or second round.  He does not respect the position.  Eric Ghiaciuc was our starting center for 4 years.   How many times did a rush right up the middle almost decapitate Carson during that time?  The solution?  Use an UDFA in Kyle Cook for the next 5 years.  After Cook we finally fixed the issue by using a 4th round pick on Bodine.   Winning. 

Hopefully, a quality center can be had in the 3rd because I don't think we will pick one in the 1st or second.   Maybe trade down to get another 2nd and 3rd round pick. 

What kind of scheme does Pollack run? From what I gather it's a wide zone? I don't know enough about OL to know what that means. Daniels is supposed to be a good zone blocker. Pollack's center in Dallas was Frederick, more of a power kind of blocker. One of the bigger centers in the NFL at 320.

Archived