Lamar Jackson visiting with Bengals

2 hours ago, oldschooler said:

I was listening to 1530AM at work today. They had former UC QB Tony Pike on talking about the Bengals and the draft.

They said the Bengals made sure to parade Jackson through the locker room in front of the media and players.

Said it was probably just to create a smoke screen to have other teams try and trade  up in front of or with them.

But they did make a few good points about drafting a QB early. Dalton has 3 years left on his deal and is his value by

then will probably be $30 million per year and will be 32 years old. They also said that Dalton has never really had any QB on that team that

drove him and made him fear for his job. And he has regressed the past few years instead of getting better.

And if they draft a QB early they can groom him behind Dalton, push Dalton and when Dalton's contract is up

either he has improved and is worthy of a contract, or you have his replacement  already on the roster with 2 years still left on his rookie contract. 

Makes sense and sounds like something the Bengals would do. Whether it be Jackson, who I like more than others here,

or some other QB in the 2nd round or so.

FWIW Dalton could be cut at the end of the year with no cap hit, AFAIK

8 hours ago, akiliMVP said:

Lamar is RG3. He'll be good a year then be injured because running QBs always get injured then never be the same.

I know.  He could still have a few spectacular years and we would have Andy on the bench for a few years.  RGIII would probably be fine if Shannahan hadn't put him in the playoff game with an already injured knee. Disgraceful.

27 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I know.  He could still have a few spectacular years and we would have Andy on the bench for a few years.  RGIII would probably be fine if Shannahan hadn't put him in the playoff game with an already injured knee. Disgraceful.

I don't want the Bengals to draft Jackson... but I agree with the bolded. I think that ruined him forever and it was disgraceful, they didn't care about the person or his health....just wanted that win baby..

59 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

He runs out of bounds and takes far less hits than RGE ever did. And is a better passer, IMO

I don't know about the better passer part.  Griffin was a 67% passer in college, quite a bit better than Jackson.  Contrary to popular belief Griffin didn't run as much in college as many believe.  He got hurt pretty bad as a sophmore early on and had to sit out the year and redshirt.  Jackson was a prolific runner compared to RGIII. 

RGIII had all the tools to be a very good NFL QB but the totally unnecessary and devastating knee injury probably ended any chance at that.   He had an incredible rookie season with a 102.4 passer rating, 213 yards passing per game (which is impressive for a rookie), and 20 TDs to 5ints (which is insanely good for a rookie).    Shanahan should have been banned from coaching for basically forcing him to play in that playoff game and for forcing him to play in a stupid offense that put him at risk.  Just as a comparison,  RGIII ran for more yards as a rookie in the NFL than he did his sophmore or junior year at Baylor. 

For comparison, RGIII ran for 699 yards his junior year at Baylor, Jackson ran for 1601 yards.   RGIII threw 4263,  Jackson for 3660. 

Drafting Jackson and letting him loose would be fun as hell to watch but how long he would last is a good question. 

6 hours ago, SF2 said:

I don't know about the better passer part.  Griffin was a 67% passer in college, quite a bit better than Jackson.  Contrary to popular belief Griffin didn't run as much in college as many believe.  He got hurt pretty bad as a sophmore early on and had to sit out the year and redshirt.  Jackson was a prolific runner compared to RGIII. 

RGIII had all the tools to be a very good NFL QB but the totally unnecessary and devastating knee injury probably ended any chance at that.   He had an incredible rookie season with a 102.4 passer rating, 213 yards passing per game (which is impressive for a rookie), and 20 TDs to 5ints (which is insanely good for a rookie).    Shanahan should have been banned from coaching for basically forcing him to play in that playoff game and for forcing him to play in a stupid offense that put him at risk.  Just as a comparison,  RGIII ran for more yards as a rookie in the NFL than he did his sophmore or junior year at Baylor. 

For comparison, RGIII ran for 699 yards his junior year at Baylor, Jackson ran for 1601 yards.   RGIII threw 4263,  Jackson for 3660. 

Drafting Jackson and letting him loose would be fun as hell to watch but how long he would last is a good question. 

RG3 played against Big 12 Defenses. Lamar Jackson has played against ACC Defenses.

I think that should be taken into consideration when talking about stats and numbers.

I think Lamar Jackson compares more to Michael Vick than RG3. 

And I think Jackson is a more NFL ready player than Vick was at this stage.

29 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

RG3 played against Big 12 Defenses. Lamar Jackson has played against ACC Defenses.

I think that should be taken into consideration when talking about stats and numbers.

I think Lamar Jackson compares more to Michael Vick than RG3. 

And I think Jackson is a more NFL ready player than Vick was at this stage.

Legitimate points for sure.   Vick wasn't nearly as good a passer and as fast as he was, Jackson is quicker.  

I do think Jackson will be a good QB if he goes to the right team but that applies to every QB that enters the league.   

3 minutes ago, Bengals1181 said:

I pop in from time to time. Good to see you old.

I did one again this year though it's admittedly not as thorough as years' past.

Good to see you're still around! Stop in and visit more often.

Hope you are doing well. 

20 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Good to see you're still around! Stop in and visit more often.

Hope you are doing well. 

Me too

27 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Great to see you over here, too.

Miss your input and insight on this board.

Don't be a stranger.

Me too

I picked the Louisville QB in the contest here. I believe he would be the best pick for the Bengals in this year’s draft. I hope it happens. If we pick Bill Price from OSU, instead of him, I will scream!

11 hours ago, Rick said:

I picked the Louisville QB in the contest here. I believe he would be the best pick for the Bengals in this year’s draft. I hope it happens. If we pick Bill Price from OSU, instead of him, I will scream!

You need to put his name in your guess.  By 7pm EDT tonight please.

11 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I could live with it, honestly.  

If they pick a QB in the first round with Dalton having multiple years on his contract, then that would cause a QB competition in the next year or two and we'd be the browns. Unless we revive the gadget QB from a few years ago, but that's a high pick for that.

10 minutes ago, Hooky said:

If they pick a QB in the first round with Dalton having multiple years on his contract, then that would cause a QB competition in the next year or two and we'd be the browns. Unless we revive the gadget QB from a few years ago, but that's a high pick for that.

Yeah IDK.  If he's clearly the BPA and they can't trade down?  I'd rather they draft OL but all I have to go on is hype, the Bengals coaches & scouts aren't posting their mocks so...  Maybe "The Lousville QB" came in and bench pressed Carson's dirty laundry & Lazor drops a hybrid wildcat-raccoon offense. Who can say.

On 4/21/2018 at 12:20 PM, Bengals1181 said:

I pop in from time to time. Good to see you old.

I did one again this year though it's admittedly not as thorough as years' past.

I also am really glad to see you're still around. I haven't been over to the Pros in a long time.

27 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Honestly I don't know if we'd be the Browns, LOL. We have too many good/decent players for that to happen, IMO. Plus, unlike them, we have rock-solid stability at the head coaching position, and as you can see, that's paid dividends in spades (especially when the spades are used for keeping on shoveling).

:lol:

Anyway, pushing Dalton can't be a bad thing and it's true, other than maybe McCarron, nobody has really contested/competed or even been considered by the fans (or the coaches) to cheer for him to come in and replace Dalton no matter how bad of a game he's having. I can't think of the last time the Bengals used anything but like a 5th or later on a QB since Carson and Dalton. I don't think they have. 

But draft picks are valuable and every team has needs somewhere, and we know what ours are and the coaches do too so drafting Jackson seems highly unlikely, but with Mike Brown, I guess you really never know. Maybe he decides we need a LB we can convert to TE, or whatever that eye-rolling suggestion was that he had from Hard Knocks. Plus with the Bengals draft history in rounds 3-6, we have a pretty good track record of finding good players at other positions that have worked out pretty well and it'd be a shame to even use one of those on a QB that will never play unless there's an injury (which, given the current state of the oline unless addressed, becomes more likely) and also since Driskel seems to have availed himself pretty well in the preseason. But Jackson is intriguing, that's for sure.

1 hour ago, schotzee said:

I know it's not a tell all, but the guy got a "13" on his wonderlic. That's quite a big red flag if you want this guy for qb.

And here are the present Super Bowl winning quarterbacks currently active in the NFL and their Wonderlic scores:

Eli Manning 39

Aaron Rodgers 35

Tom Brady 33

Nick Foles 29

Drew Brees 28

Russell Wilson 28

Joe Flacco 27

Ben Roethlisberger 25

4 minutes ago, SF2 said:

And here are the present Super Bowl winning quarterbacks currently active in the NFL and their Wonderlic scores:

Eli Manning 39

Aaron Rodgers 35

Tom Brady 33

Nick Foles 29

Drew Brees 28

Russell Wilson 28

Joe Flacco 27

Ben Roethlisberger 25

Yikes, even the rapist almost doubled his.

Archived