UPDATE: Dave Lapham predicts Bengals draft Frank Ragnow

35 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

I know he did it last year on the Bengals Booth Podcast: Draft Preview.

I see they haven't  posted one on Bengals.com for this year yet. I was just wondering if anyone has heard or read anything yet?

I haven't seen anything and have been looking for it, as well. It seems he has taken more of a back seat of late, especially this year. I miss his pre draft analysis. Considering he nailed Zeitler, Eifert, Dennard, then John Ross again last year; paying attention to what he's had to say makes a ton of sense, but I have always enjoyed his overall analysis, too.

5 minutes ago, bengaled said:

I haven't seen anything and have been looking for it, as well. It seems he has taken more of a back seat of late, especially this year. I miss his pre draft analysis. Considering he nailed Zeitler, Eifert, Dennard, then John Ross again last year; paying attention to what he's had to say makes a ton of sense, but I have always enjoyed his overall analysis, too.

I just googled  and it appears his analysis and prediction was posted April 26th last year.

And the draft started April 27th. So it should be posted in the next few days.

Here is a link to last years Draft Preview ...

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/audio/Bengals_Booth_Podcast_Draft_Preview/776b037a-360c-404f-a976-63ce95254cf4

From another Lap appearance he seemed to set the board of realistic options at #21 in this order:

1. Mike McGlinchey

2. Kolton Miller

3. Bill Price

4. James Daniels

Said all else being equal (a really highly-ranked defender doesn't fall), he thinks it will be OL. 

Billy Price started 55 games (a school record) at Ohio State. And was a 1st Team All American at Center (2 time All American).

2 time team captain. And the 2017 Rimington award winner. 

I watched and recorded and rewatched every Buckeyes game this past season.

Dude was a team leader and played great. But most of what I have seen about him has been pretty negative.

Other than getting hurt at the Combine (which has been described as "very minor"), can anyone tell me why he would be a bad pick?

I'll hang up and listen...

30 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Billy Price started 55 games (a school record) at Ohio State. And was a 1st Team All American at Center (2 time All American).

Dude was a team leader and played great. But most of what I have seen about him has been pretty negative.

Other than getting hurt at the Combine (which has been described as "very minor"), can anyone tell me why he would be a bad pick?

Also a Buckeye fan and agree with your assessment of Price. 

Most of the negativity with Price is only when talking about him at #21 (haven't seen many who would be against him at #46). There doesn't seem to be much of a gap at all between the top-3 centers (Price, Daniels and Ragnow) and many assume that Ragnow will be available at #46, so they want to address another position in the 1st and wait on Center until #46.

In theory, waiting until 46 for a Center sounds great because any of the 3 Centers would be really nice value at that point and it allows you to fill another huge need  at 21 (like RT with McGlinchey if he's there). It's just a major roll of the dice because if there's a run on Centers late-1st/early-2nd and the Bengals completely miss out, then we're stuck with TJ Johnson or a mid-round rookie as the Week 1 starter. 

A similar/related explanation is based on something that I've seen a couple draft experts say, which is that after the top 15 overall, there's a drop off to the next tier and there's not really any difference between the guy who is going to go 20 and the guy who is going to go 50. If you assume Price is in that big 30-man tier of similar players ranked between 20 and 50 that are all fringe 1st/2nd round values, then it makes sense it would feel a little frustrating to have to use 21 on a player similar to guys who will go 2nd round. 

25 minutes ago, happyrid said:

it would feel a little frustrating to have to use 21 on a player similar to guys who will go 2nd round. 

Meh, or you get #6 choice at a group of 30 guys at different positions. You can choose the guy with the best attitude, work ethic...

Put it this way... You walk into a bar and there's 50 women there. There are 15 super hot chicks in there, but there's also 20 super hot dudes who are rich. Now, the other 35 girls are all solid 6's, but none of them are going to be on the cover of Vogue. You get to take each out on a date and get to know them.

Now, do you really think there's no difference between the girl that gets picked #21 vs. #50? Which one are you going to want to marry? Would you just stand back and let everyone else decide who they liked best and take whomever is left over? Because you're getting the crazy cat chick with daddy issues.

So, while these guys may be similar on tape, Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning were once considered to be "similar" players. Does it make sense to say that the Colts should have traded back to #2 and picked up an extra second rounder? After all, if they're so similar, just wait and get more "value". 

The Bengals are in a great spot. There shouldn't be any standout BPA at #21, so they get one of the top picks of the second tier guys. They get to fill a position of need without having the agony of passing on a potentially game changing talent. 

35 minutes ago, happyrid said:

Also a Buckeye fan and agree with your assessment of Price. 

Most of the negativity with Price is only when talking about him at #21 (haven't seen many who would be against him at #46). There doesn't seem to be much of a gap at all between the top-3 centers (Price, Daniels and Ragnow) and many assume that Ragnow will be available at #46, so they want to address another position in the 1st and wait on Center until #46.

In theory, waiting until 46 for a Center sounds great because any of the 3 Centers would be really nice value at that point and it allows you to fill another huge need  at 21 (like RT with McGlinchey if he's there). It's just a major roll of the dice because if there's a run on Centers late-1st/early-2nd and the Bengals completely miss out, then we're stuck with TJ Johnson or a mid-round rookie as the Week 1 starter. 

A similar/related explanation is based on something that I've seen a couple draft experts say, which is that after the top 15 overall, there's a drop off to the next tier and there's not really any difference between the guy who is going to go 20 and the guy who is going to go 50. If you assume Price is in that big 30-man tier of similar players ranked between 20 and 50 that are all fringe 1st/2nd round values, then it makes sense it would feel a little frustrating to have to use 21 on a player similar to guys who will go 2nd round. 

You nailed it.  We wait to the 2nd round and we get wiped out at center.  It seems destined to happen.  BPA is bullshit when you whiff on the pick like they did with Ross the China doll.  Sometimes hitting a double is good enough especially when you have not been hitting consistently.  I would take any of the to 3 centers and not look back. Plenty of picks left to add help at LB, OT, etc.

9 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

BPA is bullshit when you whiff on the pick like they did with Ross the China doll.

And when you hit on guys in the fourth like Geno. If we could do that year over again, would anyone want to "wait and see" if Geno made it to the third round? Would you be happy with any of the guys in his same "tier" as determined by Kiper? Would you be happy to take Al Woods or Corey Peters? Would you argue that Jermaine Gresham was the BPA? Would Jimmy Graham still make it to round 3?

You're arguing over which lottery ticket is the best before the balls have even dropped.

BPA makes the fan feel smart (maybe), but frankly, the way it's been used on this board over the last month is just plain wrong. There's a FA/Signing players component that has to be done before you have the luxury of drafting BPA. When you leave FA with TJ Johnson as your potential starting center, you no longer have that luxury. (Especially when you have no backup QB and we NEED Andy to stay healthy) Did any of our "backup" Centers do anything to make you think we DON'T need to address the position? We have HOLES to fill, not positions to upgrade.

Waiting to take one of the top three is a sure sign you don't trust yourself to pick the right one of the three. If you have faith in your scouting, you go take the guy you want. And as the saying goes, if you need 1 Center, draft 2. I want the best guy in the first AND a backup in the late rounds.

A few things to the last few posts.

Price is a very good player, but he isn't quite as good as Ragnow or as athletic as Daniels.  I have him behind those 2.  Yes, he's strong, smart, and a great leader, but he also has very short arms.  That said, if we go another direction at 21 and he's there at 46, I'm happy.

I don't think Ragnow makes it to 46.  He is really climbing draft boards from everything I am hearing.

Way to early to call the Ross pick a whiff.  It may yet turn out that way, but WJ3 did even less his rookie year and we all love him now.

58 minutes ago, Jason said:

Way to early to call the Ross pick a whiff. 

At 9th overall?  Nothing I've seen has come close to even showing a potential to justify that.  They spent a top-10 draft pick on Bennie Brazell 2. 

9 hours ago, oldschooler said:

:lol: @ last sentence!

7 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

And when you hit on guys in the fourth like Geno. If we could do that year over again, would anyone want to "wait and see" if Geno made it to the third round? Would you be happy with any of the guys in his same "tier" as determined by Kiper? Would you be happy to take Al Woods or Corey Peters? Would you argue that Jermaine Gresham was the BPA? Would Jimmy Graham still make it to round 3?

You're arguing over which lottery ticket is the best before the balls have even dropped.

BPA makes the fan feel smart (maybe), but frankly, the way it's been used on this board over the last month is just plain wrong. There's a FA/Signing players component that has to be done before you have the luxury of drafting BPA. When you leave FA with TJ Johnson as your potential starting center, you no longer have that luxury. (Especially when you have no backup QB and we NEED Andy to stay healthy) Did any of our "backup" Centers do anything to make you think we DON'T need to address the position? We have HOLES to fill, not positions to upgrade.

Waiting to take one of the top three is a sure sign you don't trust yourself to pick the right one of the three. If you have faith in your scouting, you go take the guy you want. And as the saying goes, if you need 1 Center, draft 2. I want the best guy in the first AND a backup in the late rounds.

This is probably why the Browns will take a QB @ pick 1 and 4.:1hump::lol:

46 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

At 9th overall?  Nothing I've seen has come close to even showing a potential to justify that.  They spent a top-10 draft pick on Bennie Brazell 2. 

John Ross was a projected 1st round pick who was compared to DeSean Jackson, not Bennie Brazell.

So yeah, it is way too early to call Ross a whiff. 

Archived