UPDATE: Dave Lapham predicts Bengals draft Frank Ragnow

10 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

I get the hate for the Ross pick after how last season went, but he was the type of player that this team needed opposite Green. In college, he was a good WR at all three levels of the defense. 

The bengals fucked themselves with their drafts in 2014 and 2015. They missed on 3 offensive linemen in the first 4 rounds. That sets any team back, not from New England. Obviously they needed an offensive lineman last year, but how much draft capital can you use on one position in such a short amount of time? The idea of Ross wasn't flawed thinking. Letting Paul Alexander pick bums was the issue. 

Obv I didn't like the Ross pick but otherwise agree.  

12 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

I get the hate for the Ross pick after how last season went, but he was the type of player that this team needed opposite Green. In college, he was a good WR at all three levels of the defense. 

The bengals fucked themselves with their drafts in 2014 and 2015. They missed on 3 offensive linemen in the first 4 rounds. That sets any team back, not from New England. Obviously they needed an offensive lineman last year, but how much draft capital can you use on one position in such a short amount of time? The idea of Ross wasn't flawed thinking. Letting Paul Alexander pick bums was the issue. 

Its not like Fisher and Ogbuehi were projected to be 6th rounders.  Plenty of other teams would have taken them if we had passed.   In 2009 St Louis used the #2 pick to choose  tackle Jason Smith. Total bust.   Forced them to use another #2 overall pick for tackle Greg Robinson who has been a disappointment.  Both of these guys were projected top 5 picks. 

Nobody would have ever proclaimed Andy Dalton would be far better than Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert or Christian Ponder.  Hell, Locker and Ponder are already out of the league. 

You just never know and our luck of hitting on a lot of players each draft was bound to run out.  I didn't like the Ross pick because in my opinion, a top 10 receiver must have the ability to go up top and make catches against good defensive backs.  That is not something 5-11 at best Ross will be able to do.  Does not mean he cant be highly effective, I just think that is a guy you pick late first or in second round. 

12 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

I get the hate for the Ross pick after how last season went, but he was the type of player that this team needed opposite Green.

He was the pick we needed due to the decisions we made. We let Jones and Sanu go and signed Brandon LaFell - All of a sudden WR is a need.

But hey, we managed to hold on to Tyler Eifert...

43 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Its not like Fisher and Ogbuehi were projected to be 6th rounders.  Plenty of other teams would have taken them if we had passed.   In 2009 St Louis used the #2 pick to choose  tackle Jason Smith. Total bust.   Forced them to use another #2 overall pick for tackle Greg Robinson who has been a disappointment.  Both of these guys were projected top 5 picks. 

Nobody would have ever proclaimed Andy Dalton would be far better than Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert or Christian Ponder.  Hell, Locker and Ponder are already out of the league. 

You just never know and our luck of hitting on a lot of players each draft was bound to run out.  I didn't like the Ross pick because in my opinion, a top 10 receiver must have the ability to go up top and make catches against good defensive backs.  That is not something 5-11 at best Ross will be able to do.  Does not mean he cant be highly effective, I just think that is a guy you pick late first or in second round. 

I actually think Ross was a very good goal line WR in college. No, he’s not going to be getting jump balls like AJ, But his first step off the LOS is ridiculous. He gets instant separation. It’s all about having a coaching staff that is creative in its scheme. Marvin is not creative and Zampese was not creative. Hopefully Lazor is better. I just think that if he somehow gets lucky and stay healthy, he can play and really help. 

3 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

I actually think Ross was a very good goal line WR in college. No, he’s not going to be getting jump balls like AJ, But his first step off the LOS is ridiculous. He gets instant separation. It’s all about having a coaching staff that is creative in its scheme. Marvin is not creative and Zampese was not creative. Hopefully Lazor is better. I just think that if he somehow gets lucky and stay healthy, he can play and really help. 

Yeah, I seem to remember hearing Ross was among the leaders in red zone TDs his last year. 

Dave Lapham was on 1530 AM again today. He said he thinks if McGlinchey is there, 

that has to be the pick, unless some one they had rated in the top 10 (like Derwin James)

falls to them. He said getting McGlinchey and one of the top 3 Centers in the 

first 2 rounds would be like Christmas in Cincinnati. 

He also said he thinks they will draft 2 O-linemen, 2 D-linemen, 2 LBs and 2 DBs.   

Said it wouldn't surprise him at all if they drafted 0 WRs, RBs or QBs.

Lapham also said that there is no clear cut favorite at Center.

He said Daniels has the athleticism and highest ceiling. 

But Ragnow is huge and powerful. Said Price has excelled at 2 different positions and is a leader. 

Says the favorite is depending on who you're talking to and what they are looking for. 

6 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Lapham also said that there is no clear cut favorite at Center.

He said Daniels has the athleticism and highest ceiling. 

But Ragnow is huge and powerful. Said Price has excelled at 2 different positions and is a leader. 

Says the favorite is depending on who you're talking to and what they are looking for. 

Any of the 3 would be awesome AFAIC.  I still like Ragnow of the bunch, dude seems like a bit of a mauler & would give back some of the mean we lost with Whit.   

Just now, T-Dub said:

Any of the 3 would be awesome AFAIC.  I still like Ragnow of the bunch, dude seems like a bit of a mauler & would give back some of the mean we lost with Whit.   

Billy Price has quite the mean streak.

But yeah, I think Ragnow is #1. Daniels and Price are b or c depending on what you want more.

41 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Billy Price has quite the mean streak.

But yeah, I think Ragnow is #1. Daniels and Price are b or c depending on what you want more.

Think we're gonna be left with 2/3 to choose from if we're lucky.  We do have the picks to possibly move up, though.

And then draft a WR.

Prince's red flag is short arms (32").....he had balance issues..

Not sold on him ...2nd rounder to me...

Daniels is a technician...2nd rd...

Ragnow is the total package for a center...2nd rounder but i think he 'll be gone by the bengals pick...

Do you reach for Ragnow or Daniels in round 1??

I believe they'll cross fingers and hope to get one In second round whic h would be Price....

7 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Prince's red flag is short arms (32").....he had balance issues..

Not sold on him ...2nd rounder to me...

Daniels is a technician...2nd rd...

Ragnow is the total package for a center...2nd rounder but i think he 'll be gone by the bengals pick...

Do you reach for Ragnow or Daniels in round 1??

I believe they'll cross fingers and hope to get one In second round whic h would be Price....

Pretty much this.☝🏽

Best case and logical scenario is someone slides who a team behind the Bengals wants and we trade down and take Ragnow.

in the first.  Screw this "reach" stuff.  IMHO he's legit.

OR ... also love the Wynn/Ragnow 1-2 punch.

Pick Wynn if we can (would be OK with Hernandez, too) and trade up in Round 2 for Ragnow.

Most likely scenario is the Bengals will fuck it up especially if a pretty boy wide receiver falls.

Mike Brown never saw a wide receiver he didn't love.

Or take Akili Smith out of Louisville.  Next year is our first round quarterback year.

23 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Rich Braham had 31" arms. 

Yeah, I don't see why arm length is a big issue at center.  Guys are not typically running around the center like they try to do against an offensive tackle.  Unless it has to do with snapping the ball but I dont even think that is much of an issue unless you have T-Rex arms. 

Any of the 3 would be a huge improvement and I don't think we need to reach in the first for one.  Only once this century has 3 centers been chosen in the first 2 rounds.  7 times one was NOT taken in the first.  One of them will be available and I just don't see huge differences in the three other than I think Daniels has more BUT UNPROVEN upside. 

3 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Lapham also said Austin Corbett from Nevada or Mason Cole from Michigan are good options too.

He said just because Center is the biggest need, doesn't mean you have to reach because there

will be good options there later.

He also said if you need a damn center you draft a damn center.  And that it would be rolling the dice to wait to the 2nd round on the top centers.  So he pretty much talked out of both sides of his mouth about what they should do.

Personally, I think they pass on center in the 1st and miss out on the top guys.  I predict we will be here next year talking about taking a center because the position is still an issue.

2 hours ago, akiliMVP said:

I'm leaning Daniels. He can pull like no center we've ever had. Ragnow is a great technician but he doesn't have elite power like Price or athleticism like Daniels. Either is a solid pick and huge upgrade over Bodine.

You are a huge upgrade over Bodine!  I won't cry if we get either of the 3 because I know it will make our o line so much better barring any injury. 

Archived