UPDATE: Dave Lapham predicts Bengals draft Frank Ragnow

8 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Ragnow or Daniels.

Depends on who slides and if some player is there we can't pass on (ie Wynn)

grab him and do some real creative trading to get into the upper picks of round two.

Only if they think he can play tackle.  I think the only G they would take at 21 would be Nelson, who will be LONG gone.

I’m not Billy Price’s biggest fan, but it’s crazy to me how much better these 3 centers look than Bodine. All of them are world’s better in space. You don’t have to be Paul Brown to see it. 

As as long as they come away with one of them, the line will be better. I just think Price offers the smallest improvement over Bodine. 

The whole "better value" idea is such absolute nonsense that it drives me crazy. A bunch of people reckon that player x is the 40th best player in the draft. So what? If you need a certain position, take the best player in that position. So what if you picked him 10 or 20 picks earlier than someone else thought he should go. Coulda woulda shoulda. The draft history is filled with players who went too early and were busts, and late round studs that were steals. Why not lessen the odds and pick someone you know will help.

Unless Wynn or Mcwhatever drop, go with the centre. We haven't had a good one since Richie.

12 hours ago, Jason said:

Only if they think he can play tackle.  I think the only G they would take at 21 would be Nelson, who will be LONG gone.

If McGlinchey is there I would be utterly stunned if they passed him over for a center.   If Hernandez is available I would think he makes more sense as well if Mixon is going to be a big part of the game plan.    I just don't see enough separatiion between the 3 centers and I think one will be there at 46.  Furthermore, they are the 3 best centers but they are really just good NFL prospects, not great.  Hernandez is a powerful beastly guard who will open up holes. 

Raginow does make sense since he was hurt last year and is coming off ankle surgery which ended his senior year early. 

1 hour ago, VonBlade said:

The whole "better value" idea is such absolute nonsense that it drives me crazy. A bunch of people reckon that player x is the 40th best player in the draft. So what? If you need a certain position, take the best player in that position. So what if you picked him 10 or 20 picks earlier than someone else thought he should go. Coulda woulda shoulda. The draft history is filled with players who went too early and were busts, and late round studs that were steals. Why not lessen the odds and pick someone you know will help.

Unless Wynn or Mcwhatever drop, go with the centre. We haven't had a good one since Richie.

I don't think you ever hear talk about value after the draft is over as long as the player pans out.  If you draft a good player who develops into a starter, Pro Bowler, etc., then it is irrelevant where he was picked and whether he was a reach or steal.  It's all subjective anyway and every single draft there are players taken on day 3 that outperform first rounders.  Just focus on finding good players and addressing weaknesses.

26 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

None of the centers should be taken at 21. Any of them would be good value at 46 and we could trade up from there with some day 3 picks used. But at 21 we should take a good player who is worthy of the spot and for whom there isn't a good equivalent at 46. 

One of them may be left over at 46, and if so there is probably a good reason.  I think it's just as likely all 3 go late 1st/early 2nd. 

There is a whole lot of chatter that all 3 centers will be gone before 46. If so, everyone that is advocating with them passing on C in round 1 best be comfortable with them getting a C that can step in, in the later rounds. I don't know that I am comfortable with that risk. 

41 minutes ago, membengal said:

There is a whole lot of chatter that all 3 centers will be gone before 46. If so, everyone that is advocating with them passing on C in round 1 best be comfortable with them getting a C that can step in, in the later rounds. I don't know that I am comfortable with that risk. 

Then we take Martinas Rankin from Miss State at 46.  Can play Tackle, Guard and Center but will be a better center.   I don't think there is much drop off at all but the important thing is he can play tackle in a pinch as well as guard. 

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/4/16/17242676/bengals-meet-with-mississippi-state-lineman-martinas-rankin

14 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Can play Tackle, Guard and Center but will be a better center. 

That sounds questionable to me.  At the NFL level OTs & C's tend to have a different body type.  Kinda like the difference between a DT and DE, basically height to width ratio.

7 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

That sounds questionable to me.  At the NFL level OTs & C's tend to have a different body type.  Kinda like the difference between a DT and DE, basically height to width ratio.

He has played tackle in the SEC and was first team SEC.  He is best suited for center but can play tackle in a pinch kinda like Whit playing guard in a pinch.

1 minute ago, SF2 said:

He has played tackle in the SEC and was first team SEC.  He is best suited for center but can play tackle in a pinch kinda like Whit playing guard in a pinch.

Versatility is good, for sure.  I'm apparently a heretic for it but I don't think our OT situation is 100% solved & hunky-dory. 

Archived