UPDATE: Dave Lapham predicts Bengals draft Frank Ragnow

6 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Versatility is good, for sure.  I'm apparently a heretic for it but I don't think our OT situation is 100% solved & hunky-dory. 

Keep in mind he was the starting center in the spring for Miss State and was a beast.  They moved him back to tackle because he is great there as well.   This is what is key: Two-time member of the SEC Academic Honor Roll and a Dean’s List recipient who maintained a 3.3 GPA and was a semifinalist for college football’s top academic award as a senior … Selected as a team captain by his teammates prior to his final season.    

1 hour ago, membengal said:

There is a whole lot of chatter that all 3 centers will be gone before 46. If so, everyone that is advocating with them passing on C in round 1 best be comfortable with them getting a C that can step in, in the later rounds. I don't know that I am comfortable with that risk. 

If we pass on a center in 1 I’m trying hard to trade up in 2. I agree, I think all 3 are gone by 46. 

I'm no expert on the draft and I'm quite sure no one else is on here either. With that said, I have only seen Mayock's rankings from so called draft experts. Yes, I know he misses sometimes too, but he has 2 of the centers ranked higher than where we pick. I don't understand the problem with taking one bc they certainly would qualify as "best player available" and at a position of urgent need according to most everyone here. I'm sorry, I just have to shake my head at suggestions to wait until a later round. You can't just hang hopes on possible tradeups.

2 minutes ago, schotzee said:

I'm no expert on the draft and I'm quite sure no one else is on here either. With that said, I have only seen Mayock's rankings from so called draft experts. Yes, I know he misses sometimes too, but he has 2 of the centers ranked higher than where we pick. I don't understand the problem with taking one bc they certainly would qualify as "best player available" and at a position of urgent need according to most everyone here. I'm sorry, I just have to shake my head at suggestions to wait until a later round.

I can see the merit in waiting if there's a clear BPA that isn't a center there at 21. 

But you better be prepared to trade up for a starting center because they won't be there by 46.

2 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

I can see the merit in waiting if there's a clear BPA that isn't a center there at 21. 

But you better be prepared to trade up for a starting center because they won't be there by 46.

If a truly elite prospect is there and hasn't fallen bc of some unknown injury concern , I totally agree.

3 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Even if Cordy Glenn is 100%, I agree. I'm not sold on Fisher at RT.

Yeah, and the thing is every player is 100% until they aren't.   We can hope he stays healthy for the first time in years and still have a back-up plan in place.  Again I wonder why we need 6 WR's on the roster but are ok with 2.5 OT's & happy thoughts.  Of course this is a team willing to pay Eifert however many millions for nostalgia's sake or give fuck-up players chance after chance to fuck up further, so it's not like pragmatism or making the hard choice is exactly their MO.

1 hour ago, schotzee said:

If a truly elite prospect is there and hasn't fallen bc of some unknown injury concern , I totally agree.

There have only been 3 centers chosen higher than 21 this century.  Only 9 since 1968 (our first year and we took one at #2).  There have only been 2 HOF centers in the last 50 years. 

There hasn't been 3 centers chosen with the first 46 picks in the same draft since 1989.  

It isn't a high value pick and the top 3 centers are nice players but none of them are Mack or Pouncey quality.   

5 hours ago, SF2 said:

There have only been 3 centers chosen higher than 21 this century.  Only 9 since 1968 (our first year and we took one at #2).  There have only been 2 HOF centers in the last 50 years. 

There hasn't been 3 centers chosen with the first 46 picks in the same draft since 1989.  

It isn't a high value pick and the top 3 centers are nice players but none of them are Mack or Pouncey quality.   

Balogna. Don't bitch about another Bodine then.

13 hours ago, schotzee said:

Balogna. Don't bitch about another Bodine then.

Bologna?  Nah, those are simple facts. Bodine was a 4th round player.  I want a center in the second. Huge difference in most cases.

10 hours ago, SF2 said:

Bologna?  Nah, those are simple facts. Boone was a 4th round player.  I want a center in the second. Huge difference in most cases.

Not really disputing your facts so much. It's more about people just assuming you can trade up so easily, if necessary. I've never played Madden or anything, so many of these football fantasies don't exist in my being.

Archived