My draft fear.

47 minutes ago, Jason said:

Corner at 21.

Orlando Brown at 46.

Some center we've never heard of in the 5th round.  

I just can't shake the fear they aren't going to take any of Daniels, Ragnow or Price.

A reasonable concern.  I hope the new OL coach & the hole where his OL should be would recommend otherwise, but they also seem to think they don't need to draft an OT because they've traded for one that hasn't been healthy in years.  They'll draft a WR in the first round and let him sit at the bottom of the depth chart but are content with no depth at al on the OL where you're almost guaranteed to need to start a backup at some point in the season.  They haven't drafted well recently at OL or in general. 

Can only hope all the staff turnover translates to some fresh eyes & better picks.

33 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

A reasonable concern.  I hope the new OL coach & the hole where his OL should be would recommend otherwise, but they also seem to think they don't need to draft an OT because they've traded for one that hasn't been healthy in years.  They'll draft a WR in the first round and let him sit at the bottom of the depth chart but are content with no depth at al on the OL where you're almost guaranteed to need to start a backup at some point in the season.  They haven't drafted well recently at OL or in general. 

Can only hope all the staff turnover translates to some fresh eyes & better picks.

Just a thought of mine that maybe all the decent drafts from some years back may have caused complacency and got in the way of the due diligence theory. Hopefully these recent unsuccessful drafts reopen their eyes to that as well.

My biggest draft fear is that they do like some fans want and try to over address the O-line early.

The draft is supposed to be best player available first, need a distant second.

From what I have read there are 5 Centers worthy of going in the first 3 rounds. 

If they have a Center ranked high on their board and he's available, then get him.

Don't get him just because you need to. Hell, one of our best players was drafted in the 4th round.

51 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

My biggest draft fear is that they do like some fans want and try to over address the O-line early.

In a perfect world, yes. But, when you shit the bed two years in a row in the draft, fail to make significant free agent acquisitions and let viable starters leave for other teams, this philosophy goes out the window. I agree that the Bengals need to not reach and take the best players (at positions of need). Lots of options in the first three rounds at DE, DT, OT, OG, C and LB. All of which they need. The big thing this year...NO FUCKING PROJECTS. They need NFL ready players.

I would suggest that based of the majority of their draft visits that the offensive line will in fact be addressed early and maybe often.   

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

From what I have read there are 5 Centers worthy of going in the first 3 rounds. 

If they have a Center ranked high on their board and he's available, then get him.

Don't get him just because you need to. Hell, one of our best players was drafted in the 4th round.

Agreed.  With the exception of QB and WR, I think you take the PLAYER you have highest on your board at 21, and maybe at 46 you lean a little more to need.  I'm truly interested to see if Pollack thinks he has some of our concerns already covered with the guys he has in house.  He'll have two weeks with them by the time we are on the clock.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Mike Brown took a center in the 3rd round only once in 1997.  He has never drafted one higher than that.  I would be shocked if we took one in the first 2 rounds.  

I guess Mike didnt learn much from his Dad.  The very first Bengal pick that Paul Brown made was a center from Tennessee.

Lapham was just on Lance McCalister:

He didn’t give much away in regards to specific players, but when it came to centers, if someone is looking for clues, he mentioned Billy Price first. 

Personally i I find the idea of picking him at 21 to be unconscionable. He also mentioned Kolton Miller as a possibility. Also gross. 

3 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

He didn’t give much away in regards to specific players, but when it came to centers, if someone is looking for clues, he mentioned Billy Price first. 

Personally i I find the idea of picking him at 21 to be unconscionable. He also mentioned Kolton Miller as a possibility. Also gross. 

I like Miller, as a LT. Not sure why would draft a LT in the first after picking up Glenn. At least with McGlinchey he could be a RT.

1 hour ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Bengals don't pick centers in the first 2 rounds.

7 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Bengals don't pick centers in the first 2 rounds.

They also suck at drafting/developing centers in later rounds.  The 4th and 5th rounds have seen them draft Bodine, Ghiaciuc, and Luigs who all failed to solidify the position to varying degrees.  It's not like they haven't had plenty of time to address it since Braham played his last game in 2006.  Maybe they do something out of character like they did in firing Alexander.  All I can say is that I have zero confidence that they can find a quality starter in the late rounds.

1 hour ago, akiliMVP said:

I like Miller, as a LT. Not sure why would draft a LT in the first after picking up Glenn. 

Because Glenn hasn't had a healthy season since 2015 & even if he never misses a game here, we have shit for depth at the position.  May as well ask "Why draft a TE when we have Eifert?"

12 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Because Glenn hasn't had a healthy season since 2015 & even if he never misses a game here, we have shit for depth at the position.  May as well ask "Why draft a TE when we have Eifert?"

You don't trade for a player then immediately draft depth behind him in the first round. Makes zero sense.

My biggest fear is taking vander esch or miller in round 1.  Both are way overhyped.  No idea why either of them are being considered in the 1st round.  We need to start praying mcglinchy makes it to 21 or I have a feeling this may be a terrible draft.  I was literally crushed after the 2015 draft and im on record saying it was one of the worst drafts we have ever had.  If mcglinchy is gone we should take bpa or trade back at that point.  For me its either rashaan evans or mcglinchy at 21 if not trade back pick a center and take the extra pick for a lb or safety.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Miller might be the best OT to come out of this draft in 3 years.  But he needs a TON of work and IMO is not ready to start now.  Would not touch him in 1 personally.

Miller is the owner of nothing more than great size and a great combine, IMO. That doesn't make him worthy of that potential status, accordingly.

Archived