My draft fear.

7 hours ago, akiliMVP said:

You don't trade for a player then immediately draft depth behind him in the first round. Makes zero sense.

Huh? We draft players that sit behind established starters all the time. But not at the most important position on offense, backing up a dude of questionable durability? What makes zero sense to me is hanging the entire 2018 season on the health of Glenn's foot with no realistic back up plan. Worst case, the rookie plays RT or moves inside. Maybe we actually have some depth at the position for a change, oh no.

6 hours ago, bengaled said:

Miller is the owner of nothing more than great size and a great combine, IMO. That doesn't make him worthy of that potential status, accordingly.

I watched him play some.  He showed flashes of being good.  He's just really inconsistent.  And notice I put some emphasis on the "might".  And it's not like this is a good tackle class to begin with.  Being the best tackle in this draft isn't very high praise.

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Huh? We draft players that sit behind established starters all the time. But not at the most important position on offense, backing up a dude of questionable durability? What makes zero sense to me is hanging the entire 2018 season on the health of Glenn's foot with no realistic back up plan. Worst case, the rookie plays RT or moves inside. Maybe we actually have some depth at the position for a change, oh no.

So a backup LT is a higher priority to you than a starter at C?  I am less worried about Glenn's foot than starting TJ Johnson.  

11 hours ago, akiliMVP said:

You don't trade for a player then immediately draft depth behind him in the first round. Makes zero sense.

Outside of Glenn... Who is our RT? Bobby "Gave up on the team" Hart? Jake "Total eclipse of the heart" Fisher? Ced "Enjoy your last paycheck" Ogubuehi?

There's a staring spot available for a first rounder. Unless you REALLY have a hard on for seeing Eric Winston by week 6.

8 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Outside of Glenn... Who is our RT? Bobby "Gave up on the team" Hart? Jake "Total eclipse of the heart" Fisher? Ced "Enjoy your last paycheck" Ogubuehi?

There's a staring spot available for a first rounder. Unless you REALLY have a hard on for seeing Eric Winston by week 6.

I was talking about left tackle. I'm fine with drafting a center or right tackle.

We just traded down 9 spots in round 1 (a significant value) for a starting left tackle. If they didn't believe in him being healthy they wouldn't have traded for him. You don't automatically bank on the guy you traded for to be injured and draft his replacement in round 1. 

If they draft a guy who they think can play LT or RT in round 1 that's cool with me. Just don't stick him on the bench as the backup LT for 3 years. 

4 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I would rather take the top center than the 3rd or 4th best tackle.  And I would rather take a day 1 starter than another first rounder who does dick as a rookie because he's buried on the depth chart.

Yeah you're just moving the goalpost now.  The argument was that we don't need to draft a LT because we traded for Cordy Glenn. 

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah you're just moving the goalpost now.  The argument was that we don't need to draft a LT because we traded for Cordy Glenn. 

We don't need to draft a LT in the first round just as insurance.  That's nonsense.  Drafting a center would be a better use of resources, IMO.

7 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

We don't need to draft a LT in the first round just as insurance.  That's nonsense.  

Like drafting Whitworth when we already had Levi Jones.  Idiots! Obviously you only ever need one maybe-decent LT on your roster.  No chance of injuries, particularly in a guy who was last healthy 3 years ago. Utter nonsense.  And to think he could maybe play RT or move inside? No, this OL is far too accomplished to need additional draft picks. I don't know what I was thinking.

34 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Like drafting Whitworth when we already had Levi Jones.  Idiots! Obviously you only ever need one maybe-decent LT on your roster.  No chance of injuries, particularly in a guy who was last healthy 3 years ago. Utter nonsense.  And to think he could maybe play RT or move inside? No, this OL is far too accomplished to need additional draft picks. I don't know what I was thinking.

Whit was a second round pick and I have no objection to taking a LT at some point.  I don't think the first round makes sense because you would be drafting a backup who has no guarantee to play at all.  Other positions like center are bigger needs and whoever we take would be able to start immediately.  

Just now, Inigo Montoya said:

Whit was a second round pick and I have no objection to taking a LT at some point.  I don't think the first round makes sense because you would be drafting a backup who has no guarantee to play at all.  Other positions like center are bigger needs and whoever we take would be able to start immediately.  

If the BPA is an OT I don't see that as a problem.  Good teams aren't forced to start a rookie anywhere, as far as that goes.  Unfortunately our OL situation is a lot more desperate.

10 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

If the BPA is an OT I don't see that as a problem.  Good teams aren't forced to start a rookie anywhere, as far as that goes.  Unfortunately our OL situation is a lot more desperate.

I don't see any of the OTs being the BPA at 21.  If Brown survives to the 2nd after his disastrous combine, I would take him.   His game tape tells a different story than underwear day did. 

4 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Half the board has McGlinchey mocked to us there.  Whether he belongs there or not IDK.

I am not going to cry if we draft him.     Day 1 starter although it may be at RT depending on Glenn.

2 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I am not going to cry if we draft him.     Day 1 starter although it may be at RT depending on Glenn.

LT, RT, guard... Any move that keeps Ogbuehi on the bench, or better yet his couch at home, has to be a good thing.

Let's face it.... When was the last time the Bengals drafted the guy you think they should have, at a position of need, in the first round?

We drafted Ross when we needed O-Line.
We drafted OT's when we needed WR's.
We drafted CB's when we needed LB's.

My draft... fear isn't right, maybe prediction... Is that the Bengals are going to walk up there at #21 and take a FS from a small school slated to go in the third round.

"At #21, the Bengals select Oliver Dipthong, FS, from North Malamute State University."

41 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Let's face it.... When was the last time the Bengals drafted the guy you think they should have, at a position of need, in the first round?

We drafted Ross when we needed O-Line.
We drafted OT's when we needed WR's.
We drafted CB's when we needed LB's.

My draft... fear isn't right, maybe prediction... Is that the Bengals are going to walk up there at #21 and take a FS from a small school slated to go in the third round.

"At #21, the Bengals select Oliver Dipthong, FS, from North Malamute State University."

Relax, that's not going to happen. Ideally it will be Mcglinchey. If he's not available, then Price.

Archived