RD 1 - Bengals select BILLY PRICE, C

5 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

I doubt it, plus it appears that he was BPA on the Bengals draft board.

Yeah, he was definitely their guy and they didn't want to risk him not being there at 46 and have to worry about trading up for him in the second and give up picks.

I might be in the minority here,but I preferred Price over the other two centers.I wanted a mean,nasty,stout mf to anchor against big AFC North NT's,and he does that better than the other two centers imho.I'm not an OSU fan,so I'm not looking through scarlet and grey glasses.I haven't owned a Bengals jersey since I retired the quitter's jersey,but this one I'll buy.

38 minutes ago, Hooky said:

I've already posted this, but we got a good center, but I'm pretty sure he's there at 46 is my only gripe.

There is NO way I wanted them to take that chance. Center had to be addressed with genuine talent in my opinion. Price is uber-talented on the field - just have to hope he’s really ready for camp as the doctors are saying he will be.

Draft Phone Call: Rd 1 - Billy Price

Draft Phone Call: Rd 1 - Billy Price

Hear when the Bengals made the call to select C Billy Price (OSU) with the 21st overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.
Draf

NFL Draft First Round News Conference: Pollock and Lazor

NFL Draft First Round News Conference: Pollock and Lazor

Frank Pollock and Bill Lazor address the media following the Bengals selection of center Billy Price with the 21st overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Lewis NFL Draft First Round News Conference: 4/26

L

Lewis NFL Draft First Round News Conference: 4/26

Marvin Lewis speaks to the media following the Bengals selection of center Billy Price with the 21st overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

ewi

s NFL Dra

Fans react to Bengals selection of Billy Price

Fans react to Bengals selection of Billy Price

Fans show their excitement for the Bengals pick of center Billy Price 21st overall.

NFL Draft First Round Radio Guys Recap
ft First R

NFL Draft First Round Radio Guys Recap

Bengals.com's Dan Hoard and Dave Lapham recap the Bengals first round selection of center Billy Price.
ound News Conference: 4/267 hours ago
NFL
Draft Grade Ohio State OL Billy Price
Draft F

Draft Grade Ohio State OL Billy Price

NFL Network's Bucky Brooks gives the Cincinnati Bengals a A- grade for their pick of Ohio State center Billy Price.
irst Round News Conference: Pollock and Lazor7 hours ago
t Phone Call: Rd 1 - Billy Price7 hours ago

It will be interesting to see where Daniels goes but I don't see how anyone can complain about this pick.  His injury seems like a minor thing & dude sounds like he could be a locker room leader in a couple of years.   Much smarter pick than they've made the last couple of years regardless of how it turns out.

• Cincinnati Bengals' 2018 draft: Analysis for every selection

•  
  • terrell_katherine.png&w=160&h=160&scale=
    Katherine TerrellESPN Staff Writer

Breaking down the Cincinnati Bengals' 2018 draft class.

Round 1, No. 21 overall: Billy Price, C, Ohio State

My take: The Bengals have made a serious commitment to revamping their offensive line, and it shows. The addition of Price is the third move they've made this offseason to fix a line that struggled last year. They hired former Cowboys O-line coach Frank Pollack, traded for left tackleCordy Glenn, and now have their center of the future. This is a good step toward fixing an offense that ranked last in the league in 2017. Price said his goal is to "set the league on fire from day one," and he has an opportunity to be a starter from Week 1.

Pectoral muscle is healing: Price partially tore his pectoral muscle at the NFL scouting combine and elected to have surgery as soon as he could so that he could be on track to be 100 percent by training camp. The Bengals said Price passed all of their medical exams and they clearly feel comfortable with the injury, even if that means Price misses OTAs. Offensive coordinator Bill Lazor pointed out that padded practices aren't allowed until training camp anyway, so that won't be a problem. Price said he's two months out from being completely medically cleared.

Price's dream come true: It has been a trying few months for the Ohio native after suffering what he called a "freak accident" at the NFL combine. Price said the injury was "sickening" and was worried that all of his hard work would be for nothing. Clearly things worked out in his favor, as he'll get to stay in his home state and go to a team just a few hours down the road. He was so excited to end up in Cincinnati that he stared at his phone in disbelief when the Bengals called to select him. His agent actually had to remind him to answer the phone. "I looked at my agent and said 'Holy s--- it's Cincinnati!" Price said he was looking to bring "Ohio State football" to Cincinnati.

What's next: The Bengals have three picks in Day 2, and there's a lot of different ways they could go now that a pressing need has been addressed. The Bengals could look to draft a player at linebacker or on the defensive line. Adding another cornerback or even a wide receiver isn't out of the question. Middle linebacker Preston Brown is on a one-year contract and weakside linebacker Vontaze Burfict has repeatedly been out of the lineup because of injuries and suspension. The Bengals added running back Joe Mixon and defensive end Jordan Willis on Day 2 last year. Both rookies impressed in their first year and will be a big part of the lineup in their second seasons.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/274349/cincinnati-bengals-2018-draft-analysis-for-every-selection

Bubbly Price spices chemistry as Bengals mull second-rounder

Posted 3 hours ago

hobson60x60.jpgGeoff HobsonEditorBengals.comFollow Me Blog

Bengals_Price_Website.jpg

Billy Price can help Frank Pollack change culture up front.

The gag after the first round is what more could new Bengals offensive line coach Frank Pollack possibly want?

After all, the guy has been here for just four months and he’s already received a starting left tackle via a trade and a first-round center everyone knows is going to start Opening Day.  But the laugh may be on everybody else Friday as the Bengals eye the 14th pick in the second round with tackles like Louisville’s Geron Christian and Texas’ Connor Williams on the board.

“I got a heck of a deal. It’s kind of nice,” Pollack said as the Thursday night press conference announcing the first-round selection of Ohio State’s Billy Price broke up.

Then he joked he’d have to get back to the draft room to see if anyone else was coming his way.
What is already coming his way is Price, an enormous favorite of the coaching staff during their visits with him at the NFL scouting combine and Paul Brown Stadium.

The Bengals were sold on both centers and it was going to take Herculean slides by Notre Dame tackle Mike McGlinchey or top-rated defenders to move them off Price and Arkansas center Frank Ragnow. Clearly the pair from Alabama, linebacker Rasheen Evans and wide receiver Calvin Ridley, didn’t register because they were available.

Price and Ragnow, graded pretty much evenly, appeared to be their two highest graded players at that point and there was no flustering when Ragnow went to the Lions the pick before at No. 20. 

That’s because the coaches love Price. His outgoing personality makes him the kind of guy who can help change the culture of a position, much like cornerbacks Johnathan Joseph and Leon Hall when they arrived in back-to-back first rounds, as well as wide receiver A.J. Green and left tackle Andrew Whitworth did when they arrived in the first and second rounds, respectively. Green did it right away because he played right away. It evolved for Whitworth after right tackle Willie Anderson left and Whitworth became a starter in the ensuing shuffle.

That’s what top picks can do with personality and performance and Price is clearly going to be starting right away. 

“Every single exposure, whether on video or in person that I’ve had with Billy kept solidifying and raising the bar that this is the guy for us,” said offensive coordinator Bill Lazor. “Whether it be the first time that I watched him on film, or meeting him at the Combine, when he walks out of that room everybody looks at each other and says, ‘Wow, this is the guy you want to have on your team.’ You have a chance as a whole offensive staff to study how he played, and then having him here on a visit, just every time he kept pushing higher and higher.”

And for Pollack, a hardscrabble ex-player trying to send his own message as a new coach for a position that has had the same coach for a quarter century, Price’s hard-driving style is a nice match.
“He’s all business,” Pollack said. “He came in (to college) as a D-lineman. He’s got that kind of an attitude. There are a lot of good things about him. Those are definitely the top things that come to mind.”

Lazor is also trying to establish a different way of doing things on an offense that grew stagnant in the last couple of years and there’s nothing like a new voice on the line to do that.

The last time two centers went in the first round, 2009, Cleveland’s Alex Mack and Buffalo’s Eric Wood, became Pro Bowlers. When Pollack was the assistant line coach in Dallas, the Cowboys drafted four-time Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick in the first round.

There is something about centers.

”Veteran centers that are good players to me, it’s not only their play, but it’s a presence they have, an aura a little bit,” Lazor said. “Each guy is unique, but there’s just a sense when he walked in the room that he was in control of the room. When Coach Pollack sat him down and taught him some football and started quizzing him on it, he had a burning desire not to be wrong. I think that’s a great quality to have with your center. He got (ticked) if he wasn’t just exactly right, and you want that guy to be in charge. You want him to take pride in being right all the time, because like you said, the quarterback and the center are the play callers out there for us. I think he has those qualities.”

Some national pundits weren’t nearly excited as their coaches about the Price pick even though a team that has needed some ballast in the middle seemed to get the right guy at the right time. But ESPN thinks Iowa center James Daniels, still on the board, is better and CBS Sports.com also seemed to think Price went higher than its grades warranted even though the site inexplicably gave the Bengals a C-plus even though it said the pick made sense.

But NFL Network’s Mike Mayock called Price “a great pick,” because of the need and his ability to play all three inside spots.

The Bengals hope they can match need and talent like that again in the second round. Tackle? Safety? Linebacker? According to ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr., of the 25 best remaining players there are a couple of safeties in Alabama’s Ronnie Harrison and Wake Forest’s Jessie Bates III, outside linebackers in Georgia’s Lorenzo Carter (a school almost as popular as The Ohio State in Bengaldom) and UCLA’s Uchenna Nwosu.

It's funny how they keep mentioning that Price can play "all three spots". Well big whoop, if he starts from day 1 at C and is good at it, he isn't going to play anywhere else, no matter who gets hurt next to him, unless of course Price develops the ability to play two positions simultaneously, which would be pretty sweet.

bengals_logo.jpg

Cincinnati Bengals 
Draft picks: Ohio State C/OG Billy Price (No. 21 overall). 
Day 1 grade: B 
The skinny: Picking up Cordy Glenn from the Bills for a move down of 10 spots in the first round will help their offensive line, so that needs to be considered here. Selecting Price, a center/guard, continues the Bengals' effort to get stronger up front, though I think there could have been more of a difference-maker selected here. The Bengals could have waited and landed a very good interior offensive lineman in the second or third round.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000929243/article/2018-nfl-draft-day-1-quicksnap-grades-for-all-32-teams

From Mike Mayock, who says Ragnow is going to play Guard for the Lions...

21. Billy Price, C, Cincinnati Bengals

Price can play all three interior offensive line positions positions. It's a great pick because they traded for Cordy Glenn, the left side is solid. After that they're hurting up front. That gives them a starting center with the capability of playing either guard.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000928836/article/mike-mayocks-pickbypick-draft-analysis-for-round-1-results

3 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

That would be my biggest concern, not being able to do the lifting necessary to be an effective NFL offensive lineman for an extended period of time.  Most of these guys live in the weight room so he may not be 100% anytime soon. 

Just now, SF2 said:

That would be my biggest concern, not being able to do the lifting necessary to be an effective NFL offensive lineman for an extended period of time.  Most of these guys live in the weight room so he may not be 100% anytime soon. 

He said he's supposed to be 100% in June

2 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

He said he's supposed to be 100% in June

I am assuming that means he is 100% cleared to do football shit.   Seems like a guy that will go balls out once given the green light.   Not an expert on pec tears but it seems like a shitty injury for a center or olineman to have. 

"Like most people who want to do great, he was worried about every possible question that could be on an upcoming midterm," Barton said. "He was running through it again. But that, in a nutshell, is what it takes to be Billy Price, to be elite in school and to be elite on the field. Every waking minute you have to be efficient."

It could be argued that few players in Ohio State history have been as efficient. When Price is introduced on Saturday along with the 18 other seniors about to experience their last game at Ohio Stadium, he will trot out with the traditional rose in hand to give to his mother, a degree in business administration from the Fisher College of Business already in his back pocket. Then he will move on start his 52nd straight game, extending his Ohio State record."

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20171117/ohio-state-gameday--hard-working-billy-price-earns-business-degree-while-never-missing-game

Hypothetical: Did we still draft Price if Ragnow was not picked by Detroit? I think we are very fortunate for the sake of the site not blowing up if that would've happened. Was Price their guy from the beginning?

4 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Hypothetical: Did we still draft Price if Ragnow was not picked by Detroit? I think we are very fortunate for the sake of the site not blowing up if that would've happened. Was Price their guy from the beginning?

I said in another thread, judging from Lazor's quotes, it sure seemed like he was.

1 hour ago, Bunghole said:

It's funny how they keep mentioning that Price can play "all three spots". Well big whoop, if he starts from day 1 at C and is good at it, he isn't going to play anywhere else, no matter who gets hurt next to him, unless of course Price develops the ability to play two positions simultaneously, which would be pretty sweet.

Daniels is still on the board.     

:ninja: 

?

Archived