RD 1 - Bengals select BILLY PRICE, C

4 hours ago, Rick said:

The Bengals got a china doll for 2018. We need to draft a backup center or we are in serious trouble.

For anybody to make a statement like that it shows just how little you actually know about this individual much as it reflects you are talking straight out of your ass. I have never heard a more inaccurate statement made about Billy Price, who I have followed since he was a prospect being drafted out of high school by The Ohio State Buckeyes. I feel a bit dumber for having read what you just posted here!

Bengals fan Meyer gives Price a Who-Dey

Posted 2 hours ago

hobson60x60.jpgGeoff HobsonEditorBengals.comFollow Me Blog

It was old home week Friday for first-round pick Billy Price as he met quarterback Andy Dalton during his visit to Paul Brown Stadium. The pick got Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer fired up for his boyhood team on many fronts.

042718-dalton-price-art.jpg

Billy Price meets his quarterback Friday, Andy Dalton.

Urban Meyer is on the treadmill Friday running back in time for you.

Meyer, Ohio State’s high-energy head coach, is ticking off the names of the linebackers from the ‘70s from the Bengals teams he loved as a kid. Bill Bergey. Al Beauchamp. No. 51? Right. Kenny Avery wore 51.

“Name the corners,” Meyer is testing you. “Remember the safeties? And there was the piano player. Mike Reid. (Ron) Carpenter. Those guys.”

So it was not lost on Meyer that he had just bequeathed his center and one of the greatest Buckeye offensive linemen ever to his hometown team 50 years after their first center. Bob Johnson. Bob Johnson? It can be forgiven if Meyer doesn’t know that one. Given he was three years old when …

“Bob Johnson? Are you kidding me? First guy Paul Brown drafted. No. 54,” Meyer says, his certificate to Bengaldom now complete.

So there are many reasons why over at his house Thursday night there was surge when the Bengals took Billy Price in the first round at No. 21.

“Great marriage,” Meyer says. “When we saw the name and team come across, we were ecstatic.
“Every great team has a great center. You have to have a great center and I think Billy is going to be that guy.”

Meyer has known Marvin Lewis much longer than Lewis has been the Bengals head coach. His two sisters live in Cincinnati and one of his former coaches, Luke Fickell, is now the head coach of Meyer’s alma mater at the University of Cincinnati. Speaking of certified Bengaldom, Meyer’s grandfather had a certificate in his den calling him a part-owner of the Bengals that appears to have been a promotional bit back in the day. The kids went to some games at Riverfront Stadiuml, but sat with everyone else.

The @Bengals got an Iron Man. Congrats to @b_price54. Only great things coming for you in the Queen City!!

“First of all,” says Meyer when it is suggested he keeps a bit of an eye on the Bengals, “I don’t keep a little eye on them. I keep a big eye on them.”

He agrees with Lewis and his coaches that Price is a huge addition to the locker room.

“Other than the quarterback, the center is the most important guy. Maybe just as important,” Meyer says. “He touches the ball every play. He’s the leader of the most important group. The offensive line has to all be together. He’s extremely high character. He’s the best practice player you’ll have. He’s a great leader.”

Those 55 straight starts say it all without Meyer saying anything.

“That’s a record I think will never be challenged. Especially from an offensive lineman,” Meyer says of that Ohio State mark. “They’re in harm’s way every snap. He made the transition from guard to center very easily. He’s very multi-talented and flexible guy that can play a lot of positions."

Mark it down. Urban Meyer, 53, the 13-year-old that rooted for Bob Johnson’s Bengals, applauds the pick.

“We need more Buckeyes down there,” Meyer says.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-fan-Meyer-gives-Price-a-Who-Dey-/c4eb9a08-11d9-4431-98e6-16195a46a88a

4 minutes ago, bengaled said:

For anybody to make a statement like that it shows just how little you actually know about this individual much as it reflects you are talking straight out of your ass. I have never heard a more inaccurate statement made about Billy Price, who I have followed since he was a prospect being drafted out of high school by The Ohio State Buckeyes. I feel a bit dumber for having read what you just posted here!

Lol, yea Rick can give you some headshakers from time to time.

Katherine TerrellESPN Staff Writer 

The Bengals are introducing C Billy Price to the media. He joked to himself "man that looks good," when he got to see his new jersey. Price was excited enough yesterday to drive the five hours to Cincinnati when Frank Pollack joked they wanted to get started right away, but he got here around noon today. Lewis said he sees him as an eventual pillar of the football team and was drawn to his leadership ability in college.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/cin/cincinnati-bengals

21. CINCINNATI BENGALS—C BILLY PRICE

It’s not a sexy pick, especially with Lamar Jackson, a potential replacement for Andy Dalton, on the board. But it’s a grossly necessary pick. The Bengals have had major problems against interior designer pass rush tactics the past two years, and their O-line got no movement in the ground game last season. With every interior O-lineman in the last year or two of his contract, this lineup could be altered at any spot. And it must—Andy Dalton needs a clean pocket. When he doesn’t have one, his flawed footwork leads to the mechanical breakdowns that cause most of his befuddling incompletions and turnovers.

GRADE: A-

LANCE MCALISTER

Bengals: My reaction to the Price pick? Relax.

posted by Lance McAlister -

6 hours ago

5ae34ebc4bb04bc7145d6bc6?ops=max%28750%2

Bengals: My reaction to the Price pick

Over the years, I’ve tried to accept that I know what I know and I know what I don’t know. 

I don’t know offensive line play. Never have. Never will. So I defer to those that do.

1. Frank Pollack, new Bengals OL coach. Best trait? He's not Paul Alexander.

He will be teaching new schemes and new techniques. So he knows what he's looking for and who fits. Do you think draft experts figure that in?  Fact is…99.14% percent of us would have no idea what Pollack would be showing us if he wrote schemes on a chalkboard and started demonstrating techniques in our kitchen.

2. Dave Lapham: One of my golden rules is to always defer to Lap. He told me Wednesday that  it was a split decision in his mind between Frank Ragonw and Billy Price. It was that close.

Here's what matters. Price fills the biggest need on the team. It is as simple as that.  

I get it, centers are not sexy. The trenches are not sexy.  Line play is dirty, sweaty, muddy. It's a bunch of big, strong, beefy guys colliding play after play.

After years of watching Russell Bodine allow pressure up the middle and get pushed around like he was on roller skates…..you are darn right the Price is right.

The Bengals get a plug and play guy. Price is smart. Strong. A Leader. A four-year starter. A two time captain. Bengals coaches used words like 'anchor' and 'pillar' to describe him during Thursday night's news conference. 

Lap told me that Price is Whit like.....as in Andrew Whitworth.

The Bengals didn’t panic or outthink themselves. 

They didn't get distracted by a shiny object like Lamar Jackson.

Sure, some knees buckles as fans at Dickmann’s watched the Lions grab Ragnow. But Price is not a consolation prize. He's a two-time All-American. He won the Rimington Trophy nation’s outstanding center. He tied the OSU record with 55 starts in career…..including 50 in a row

Yea, he suffered a partial tear of his pectoral muscle. It's not exactly a torn ACL or broken leg that will alter the trajectory of his career. I think he'll survive. He will be ready by training camp.

The crowd of critics chanting 'Price would have been there at 46," would be the same crowd chanting "they blew it, season over!", if he wasn't. 

I've got news for you. Those fans have no way of knowing he would have lated until the 46th pick. And they never will. It's just a narrative created to back their criticism. If you are one of those critics you are trying too hard.

And that same crowd, carrying their pitch forks in the name of Iowa center James Daniels, seems to be overlooking the fact that two organizations have already drafted centers not named James Daniels.

The Bengals flipped the 12th pick in the draft for starting left tackle Cordy Glenn and starting center Billy Price. Did I miss something?

In the end.......the Bengals got….what….they…..needed…..most.  

The offensive line is better today than it was Wednesday. Imagine that. 

The Bengals still have 10 draft picks to work with .

Works for me.

We are talking Billy Price HERE

https://700wlw.iheart.com/featured/lance-mcalister/content/2018-04-27-bengals-my-reaction-to-the-price-pick/

After seeing Meyer's high praise and hearing how happy Price is to be a Bengal, I have warmed to the pick.

I think the Bengals had him and Ragnow very closely rated probably with Ragnow a little higher because of the pec injury, but not too much space between them. 

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

Ok, what does SKOL mean?

Meaning. Skol (written "skål" in Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish and "skál" in Faroese and Icelandic or "skaal" in transliteration of any of those languages) is the Danish-Norwegian-Swedish word for "cheers", or "good health", a salute or a toast, as to an admired person or group.

:drinks:

1 minute ago, oldschooler said:

Meaning. Skol (written "skål" in Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish and "skál" in Faroese and Icelandic or "skaal" in transliteration of any of those languages) is the Danish-Norwegian-Swedish word for "cheers", or "good health", a salute or a toast, as to an admired person or group.

:drinks:

Thanks.

Archived