Day 2 Draft Discussion, who should we target?

24 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

You don't have to sound like a Rhodes scholar to be a good football player, I'll take Smith's evaluation over your expert opinion. 

Not an expert. Just my opinion. Character and effort concerns are not things I like in a prospect. Plenty of experts have been wrong. Their word isn't God.

2 hours ago, Bunghole said:

Do you have a link showing we planned on doing that? Not calling you out or anything, I just find that interesting. I mean, the traditional extra DB in most passing situations is a nickel CB, not a third safety. I wonder if that's for base formations on early downs to help shore up the run defense?

Many defenses are using an extra safety to cover backs and TE's, like Deon Buchanan. 

Austin has used a 4-2-5 defense for years...http://www.espn.com/blog/detroit-lions/post/_/id/27081/mailbag-what-are-the-benefits-and-downsides-of-lions-three-safety-defense

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2016/11/22/13712808/three-safety-packages-detroit-lions-defensive-formations-jaguars

2 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

How about the Griffith kid at linebacker? Seems to have in intangibles they wabt..

Lightening speed good tackler great fit on and off field..

Its a good reach of thats what it takes...

I'd love to see us get him.

I think he's going to be a good one for somebody. 

Hopefully us.

25 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Btw, what time does it start? 7 eastern? Picks are 5 mins now too, correct?

Correct.  It starts at 7 PM Eastern tonight and 12 PM / Noon tomorrow.

Teams get 7 minutes to make picks in round 2. 

Teams get 5 minutes to make picks in rounds 3 - 6.

Teams get 4 minutes to make picks in round 7.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-players/the-nfl-draft/the-rules-of-the-draft/

1 minute ago, BBR said:

Correct.  It starts at 7 PM Eastern.

Teams get 7 minutes to make picks in round 2. 

Teams get 5 minutes to make picks in rounds 3 - 6.

Teams get 4 minutes to make picks in round 7.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-players/the-nfl-draft/the-rules-of-the-draft/

Ahh thanks. 7 mins time doesn't ring a bell with me though.

Here are ten players who could be on their radar today:

Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan – The Bengals are looking for someone to compliment Geno Atkins and Hurst would be the perfect fit. He's a first round talent that could fall all the way to pick 46 because of heart irregularities doctors diagnosed him with at the combine. He would likely be the top player on their board in round two IF the Bengals feel he's good to go from a health perspective. Odds are he will get picked prior, but medical evaluations are hard to predict. 

Justin Reid, S, Stanford – This is one of multiple safeties that will be on the Bengals' radar today. Reid is the athletic playmaker they have been looking for this offseason. He had five interceptions and six pass breakups in 2017. He has a chance to be better than his brother Eric, who visited the Bengals a few weeks ago. If Reid is there at 46, I could see the Bengals running to the podium. I thought the Stealers were going to take him with the 28th pick last night. 

Jesse Bates, S, Wake Forest – Bates is extremely versatile and has great ball skills. He had six interceptions and 15 passes defensed in 2015. It'll be interesting to see if the Bengals consider him at 46. Maybe they roll the dice and hope he falls to 77. They also have the ammo to trade up at some point today if there's a player they love. The good news is they may get their pick of Bates or Reid in round two, depending on how the board falls to them. 

Ronnie Harrison, S, Alabama – Harrison is the dark horse at the safety position. The Bengals met with him and have a history of liking players from the SEC. The analysts I've talked to don't like him as much as Reid or Bates. I don't think he will be in play at 46, but I could see them taking him in round three if they haven't addressed safety.

James Daniels, C, Iowa – Could he fall to them in round two? It's not likely, but there's a chance. Daniels is the most athletic center in this draft and could potentially be the top player on the Bengals' board at 46. I think they want to address defense in round two, but they could be tempted to take Daniels if he's available. Price has the versatility to play guard down the line and Daniels has the most upside of any center in this draft.

Martinas Rankin, OT, Mississippi State – Rankin is a big bodied offensive lineman who could give the Bengals a boost. He played tackle in college and could possibly be brought it to compete at the right tackle spot. They could also try kicking him inside to guard. I'm assuming they want Price to play center, but there has been plenty of speculation about Rankin playing center in the NFL.

Orlando Brown, OT, Oklahoma – Brown is a scary prospect. There's a lot to like when you watch him, but he had an historically bad combine. If he falls to pick 77, I think the Bengals would be tempted to draft him. Is he strong enough to succeed in the NFL? Is he athletic enough? He didn't show it at the combine or his pro day. The Bengals have taken prospects like that before – Paul Dawson comes to mind. 

Arden Key, edge rusher, LSU – Key is a great prospect with character concerns. The Bengals watched him at LSU's pro day and visited with him a day later. He would give them another edge rusher, which was their biggest draft need a year ago. Assuming he's available, Key will probably in the conversation in the third round - pick 77 or pick 100. 

Sam Hubbard, DE, Ohio State – Could the Bengals take back-to-back players from Ohio State? Hubbard will be in the mix at pick 46. He isn't a great athlete, but he's solid and could contribute right away. The Bengals could use another edge rusher and drafting a player like Hubbard would continue their "win-now" offseason. 

Malik Jefferson, LB, Texas – The Bengals need to get more athletic at linebacker and Jefferson is exactly that. He ran a 4.52 40-yard dash and is a mid-round player worth keeping an eye on. Linebackers coach Jim Haslett took a long look at Jefferson at Texas' pro day. He should be in the conversation in round three.

1 minute ago, oldschooler said:

Here are ten players who could be on their radar today:

Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan – The Bengals are looking for someone to compliment Geno Atkins and Hurst would be the perfect fit. He's a first round talent that could fall all the way to pick 46 because of heart irregularities doctors diagnosed him with at the combine. He would likely be the top player on their board in round two IF the Bengals feel he's good to go from a health perspective. Odds are he will get picked prior, but medical evaluations are hard to predict. 

Justin Reid, S, Stanford – This is one of multiple safeties that will be on the Bengals' radar today. Reid is the athletic playmaker they have been looking for this offseason. He had five interceptions and six pass breakups in 2017. He has a chance to be better than his brother Eric, who visited the Bengals a few weeks ago. If Reid is there at 46, I could see the Bengals running to the podium. I thought the Stealers were going to take him with the 28th pick last night. 

Jesse Bates, S, Wake Forest – Bates is extremely versatile and has great ball skills. He had six interceptions and 15 passes defensed in 2015. It'll be interesting to see if the Bengals consider him at 46. Maybe they roll the dice and hope he falls to 77. They also have the ammo to trade up at some point today if there's a player they love. The good news is they may get their pick of Bates or Reid in round two, depending on how the board falls to them. 

Ronnie Harrison, S, Alabama – Harrison is the dark horse at the safety position. The Bengals met with him and have a history of liking players from the SEC. The analysts I've talked to don't like him as much as Reid or Bates. I don't think he will be in play at 46, but I could see them taking him in round three if they haven't addressed safety.

James Daniels, C, Iowa – Could he fall to them in round two? It's not likely, but there's a chance. Daniels is the most athletic center in this draft and could potentially be the top player on the Bengals' board at 46. I think they want to address defense in round two, but they could be tempted to take Daniels if he's available. Price has the versatility to play guard down the line and Daniels has the most upside of any center in this draft.

Martinas Rankin, OT, Mississippi State – Rankin is a big bodied offensive lineman who could give the Bengals a boost. He played tackle in college and could possibly be brought it to compete at the right tackle spot. They could also try kicking him inside to guard. I'm assuming they want Price to play center, but there has been plenty of speculation about Rankin playing center in the NFL.

Orlando Brown, OT, Oklahoma – Brown is a scary prospect. There's a lot to like when you watch him, but he had an historically bad combine. If he falls to pick 77, I think the Bengals would be tempted to draft him. Is he strong enough to succeed in the NFL? Is he athletic enough? He didn't show it at the combine or his pro day. The Bengals have taken prospects like that before – Paul Dawson comes to mind. 

Arden Key, edge rusher, LSU – Key is a great prospect with character concerns. The Bengals watched him at LSU's pro day and visited with him a day later. He would give them another edge rusher, which was their biggest draft need a year ago. Assuming he's available, Key will probably in the conversation in the third round - pick 77 or pick 100. 

Sam Hubbard, DE, Ohio State – Could the Bengals take back-to-back players from Ohio State? Hubbard will be in the mix at pick 46. He isn't a great athlete, but he's solid and could contribute right away. The Bengals could use another edge rusher and drafting a player like Hubbard would continue their "win-now" offseason. 

Malik Jefferson, LB, Texas – The Bengals need to get more athletic at linebacker and Jefferson is exactly that. He ran a 4.52 40-yard dash and is a mid-round player worth keeping an eye on. Linebackers coach Jim Haslett took a long look at Jefferson at Texas' pro day. He should be in the conversation in round three.

Great job on the draft info so far. Thanks, old.

3 hours ago, Numbers said:

Hernandez will be gone but if not then take him.  Otherwise, Mason Rudolph QB or Courtland Sutton WR.

Way, wayyyyyyyy too early to address backup QB, with the immediate needs this team has. I really like Sutton, but he would be a bit of a luxury pick here, by comparison, as well. 

DT-Maurice Hurst-Michigan
T-Conner Williams-Texas
DE-Harold Landry-BC
CB-Josh Jackson-Iowa
C-James Daniels-Iowa
QB-Mason Rudolph-Oke St
TE-Dallas Goedert-SD State
DT-Harrison Phillips-Stanford
T-Brian O'Neill-Pitt
T-Tyler Crosby-Oregon
G-Will Hernandez-UTEP
DE-Sam Hubbard-OSU
S-Ronnie Harrison-Alabama
S-Justin Reid-Stanford

Mike Mayock unveils his top 100 prospect rankings for the 2018 NFL Draft.

1. Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
2. Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame
3. Bradley Chubb, DE, N.C. State
4. Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
5. Minkah Fitzpatrick, S, Alabama
6. Derwin James, S, Florida State
7. Sam Darnold, QB, USC
8. Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame
9. Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
10. Vita Vea, DT, Washington

11. Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech
12. Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville
13. Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama
14. Marcus Davenport, DE, UTSA
15. Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
16. Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama
17. James Daniels, C, Iowa
18. Harold Landry, DE, Boston College
19. Frank Ragnow, C, Arkansas
20. Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise State

21. Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
22. Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma
23. Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville
24. Isaiah Wynn, OL, Georgia
25. D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland
26. Taven Bryan, DT, Florida
27. Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
28. Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
29. Will Hernandez, OG, UTEP
30. Mike Hughes, CB, UCF

31. Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA
32. Sony Michel, RB, Georgia
33. Isaiah Oliver, CB, Colorado
34. Ronnie Harrison, S, Alabama
35. Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina
36. Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia
37. Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State
38. Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego State
39. Austin Corbett, OL, Nevada
40. Connor Williams, OL, Texas

41. Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU
42. Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan
43. Nathan Shepherd, DT, Fort Hays State
44. Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa
45. Billy Price, C, Ohio State
46. Harrison Phillips, DT, Stanford
47. Derrick Nnadi, DT, Florida State
48. Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M
49. James Washington, WR, Oklahoma State
50. Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis

51. Lorenzo Carter, Edge, Georgia
52. Uchenna Nwosu, Edge, USC
53. Jessie Bates III, S, Wake Forest
54. D.J. Chark, WR, LSU
55. B.J. Hill, DT, N.C. State
56. Rasheem Green, DE, USC
57. Sam Hubbard, DE, Ohio State
58. Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State
59. Braden Smith, OG, Auburn
60. Ronald Jones II, RB, USC

61. Justin Reid, S, Stanford
62. Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State
63. Donte Jackson, CB, LSU
64. Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Edge, Oklahoma
65. Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon
66. Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond
67. Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma
68. Chris Herndon, TE, Miami
69. Breeland Speaks, DE, Ole Miss
70. Dante Pettis, WR, Washington

71. Holton Hill, CB, Texas
72. Josey Jewell, LB, Iowa
73. Terrell Edmunds, S, Virginia Tech
74. Brian O'Neill, OT, Pittsburgh
75. Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado State
76. Tyquan Lewis, DE, Ohio State
77. Malik Jefferson, LB, Texas
78. Kerryon Johnson, RB, Auburn
79. Oren Burks, LB, Vanderbilt
80. Allen Lazard, WR, Iowa State

81. Geron Christian, OT, Louisville
82. Tre'Quan Smith, WR, UCF
83. Jerome Baker, LB, Ohio State
84. Mason Cole, C, Michigan
85. Martinas Rankin, OL, Mississippi State
86. Mark Walton, RB, Miami
87. Darius Leonard, LB, South Carolina State
88. Royce Freeman, RB, Oregon
89. DaeSean Hamilton, WR, Penn State
90. Duke Dawson, CB, Florida

91. Josh Sweat, DE, Florida State
92. Quenton Meeks, DB, Stanford
93. Rashaan Gaulden, DB, Tennessee
94. Daurice Fountain, WR, Northern Iowa
95. Cole Madison, OL, Washington State
96. Tyler Conklin, TE, Central Michigan
97. Grant Haley, CB, Penn State
98. Deadrin Senat, DT, South Florida
99. Russell Gage, WR, LSU
100. Orlando Brown, OT, Oklahoma

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000928186/article/mike-mayocks-2018-nfl-draft-top-100-prospect-rankings

3 hours ago, akiliMVP said:

Not an expert. Just my opinion. Character and effort concerns are not things I like in a prospect. Plenty of experts have been wrong. Their word isn't God.

I just think you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to this guy's character and effort. I would take the word of someone who actually knows the player, has worked with him, and has a professional reputation at risk by endorsing Key, than some random internet scout that has never spoke to the guy, watched him play, or could pick him out him out in a crowd. 

19 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I just think you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to this guy's character and effort. I would take the word of someone who actually knows the player, has worked with him, and has a professional reputation at risk by endorsing Key, than some random internet scout that has never spoke to the guy, watched him play, or could pick him out him out in a crowd. 

I read every single scouting report (made by experts) that says his character and effort are a concern. I'm not making shit up. People endorse shithead players all the time.

48 minutes ago, bengaled said:

Way, wayyyyyyyy too early to address backup QB, with the immediate needs this team has. I really like Sutton, but he would be a bit of a luxury pick here, by comparison, as well. 

If either one of those are the BPA then they could be picked.  It will not shock me if they pick an OT.   I will not be surprised either if they pick a position not deemed a need by this board such as a WR or QB.  I'm guessing that the Bengals stretched a bit to get a player of need in the 1st.   

Should we need to start another rookie on the line we might want to start planning for next years draft...

Archived