Day 2 Draft Discussion, who should we target?

13 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

I really hope we get this guy. We have 11 picks and 1 should definitely be used on him.

I hope and pray that the Stealers don't get him, because I really want to root for him

^^^^^This^^^^^

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

He's so good he can tackle you with one hand.

:lol: 

He's a great tackler because he has to compensate for the missing hand and rely more on body tackling.

35 minutes ago, akiliMVP said:

I read every single scouting report (made by experts) that says his character and effort are a concern. I'm not making shit up. People endorse shithead players all the time.

Who is a shithead player...wtf are you talking about? Obviously because you read every single scouting report, which is a lie because you don't have access to every single scouting report, then you know more about this guy than someone has trained him since high school. 

What are the character concerns? Was he arrested like Baker Mayfield? Is he a cocky prick like Josh Rosen? What specific character concerns and lack of effort are you referring to? 

Are you referring to him voluntarily entering into rehab because he realized he need to change his life, that seems like a positive trait more so than a flaw. Or that he played his freshman and sophomore season with a torn rotator cuff injury then had off season surgery to correct it and start off the season out of shape because he wasn't able to properly prepare for the season. He came back to play in 2017 even though he could have easily sat the year out and gotten ready for the draft while putting himself at risk for injury.

If Chuck Smith, a guy who was a star in the NFL and has trained more Pro Bowl players than any "draft expert", says Key is one of the best pass rushers he has ever seen then I will go with that assessment.

If Key can be an All-American/All-SEC player on drugs with a torn rotator cuff then what do think he can with a healthy mind and body? I hope he's available at 46 and the Bengals draft him. 

4 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Who is a shithead player...wtf are you talking about? Obviously because you read every single scouting report, which is a lie because you don't have access to every single scouting report, then you know more about this guy than someone has trained him since high school. 

What are the character concerns? Was he arrested like Baker Mayfield? Is he a cocky prick like Josh Rosen? What specific character concerns and lack of effort are you referring to? 

Are you referring to him voluntarily entering into rehab because he realized he need to change his life, that seems like a positive trait more so than a flaw. Or that he played his freshman and sophomore season with a torn rotator cuff injury then had off season surgery to correct it and start off the season out of shape because he wasn't able to properly prepare for the season. He came back to play in 2017 even though he could have easily sat the year out and gotten ready for the draft while putting himself at risk for injury.

If Chuck Smith, a guy who was a star in the NFL and has trained more Pro Bowl players than any "draft expert", says Key is one of the best pass rushers he has ever seen then I will go with that assessment.

If Key can be an All-American/All-SEC player on drugs with a torn rotator cuff then what do think he can with a healthy mind and body? I hope he's available at 46 and the Bengals draft him. 

I'd be happy with Key at any point starting in the 3rd round absolutely.

1 hour ago, Numbers said:

If either one of those are the BPA then they could be picked.  It will not shock me if they pick an OT.   I will not be surprised either if they pick a position not deemed a need by this board such as a WR or QB.  I'm guessing that the Bengals stretched a bit to get a player of need in the 1st.   

Should we need to start another rookie on the line we might want to start planning for next years draft...

Please don't go assuming a certain ideal position I am suggesting in lieu of a backup QB or wide receiver, because that's not necessarily the point of what I was suggesting at all. That's kind of a fool's argument to do that...not calling you a fool, because I respect your opinions a lot, just not this one.

4 minutes ago, bengaled said:

Please don't go assuming a certain ideal position I am suggesting in lieu of a backup QB or wide receiver, because that's not necessarily the point of what I was suggesting at all. That's kind of a fool's argument to do that...not calling you a fool, because I respect your opinions a lot, just not this one.

Then what is your "ideal position"  ?  The majority appears to be clamoring for offensive line.   This was never an argument.  

1 minute ago, snarkster said:

Must like a guy (or guys) they think they can still get at 54 so they moved up 24 spots in the third

At one point there was a published list of value per draft position.  Productive players (all positions) are a much better value in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds if I remember correctly.  One of those studies for the analytical types that has shown some worth. 

1 hour ago, Numbers said:

Then what is your "ideal position"  ?  The majority appears to be clamoring for offensive line.   This was never an argument.  

Not that I had an exact one, but one at the very top of the list was a safety, namely Justin Reid, and I had stated that here on more than one occasion. It's obvious now we discounted that player for Jessie Bates, who I saw as being a notch below Reid, But I still like the choice much better than a backup QB or a WR, considering we drafted one in the first round last year.

3 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

.Are you Arden Key or related to him? Jesus Christ. 

Quotes from NFL.com scouting report:

"Evaluators are worried about his personal discipline"

"You come back to the old question of what will a player do with more time and more money as a pro? Key's background tells you it could be a big problem for him. Not only that, but he had seven sacks over the last two years where he didn't have to beat the tackle." -- NFC Director of Scouting

Top 10 physical talent doesn't fall to late round 3 without a good reason. 

Archived