Downtown Louisville Shooter (Assault rifle in the garage)...

Numbers

Seelbach Hotel garage was surrounded by SWAT earlier today (less than a couple hours ago).   SWAT rolled up in a large black van,  unloaded numerous team members, surrounded the structure with guns drawn (mostly tactical type weapons)  and searched the area.   Wasn't sure what exactly happened but it involves a gunman with an assault style rifle in the Seelbach parking garage.   Potentially a shooter situation similar to Las Vegas because it is so near many different events and large population area.   Reportedly the police have a person of interest in custody. 

Welcome to Louisville Derby festival goers, don't forget your bullet proof vest... 

On 4/27/2018 at 1:51 PM, Jamie_B said:

Sounds like it was handled.

Yes

On 4/27/2018 at 4:30 PM, T-Dub said:

Was any law broken? Was the guy even actually armed? 

Yes.   Armed robbery.   Prior felony charges.   Yes, he was armed but the police never released the type of firearm or amount. 

Sorry I'm so late on the reply.    

17 hours ago, Numbers said:

Yes

Yes.   Armed robbery.   Prior felony charges. 

In that case he was not legally allowed to own a gun of any kind, spooky "assault rifle" or otherwise.  Passing laws is easy, enforcing them is hard.

6 hours ago, T-Dub said:

In that case he was not legally allowed to own a gun of any kind, spooky "assault rifle" or otherwise.  Passing laws is easy, enforcing them is hard.

Yes.   That's exactly right.  Though, once the laws currently on the books start being enforced, I believe in revising or complete overhaul of mental health issues in relation to gun ownership.  The ability to cross-reference a mental health database does not exist AFAIK in regards to gun dealers.   As long as a person checks the no box regarding mental health issues (can't remember the exact wording) they can get a gun ? No problem with that  ?  I have real problems with that and I own more guns than most people I know.   I also live next door to Fort Knox and Knob Creek gun range.   Lots of military folks that are out of the service and a few still in (that I personally know) have mental health issues and probably shouldn't be carrying a weapon anywhere.   I believe this can only succeed IF as stated above, the laws are enforced.   

This idea would not necessarily need a law but a creation of a searchable database similar to Casper.   However, this would raise privacy issues that neither side wants to relinquish control.  

Just now, Numbers said:

Yes.   That's exactly right.  Though, once the laws currently on the books start being enforced, I believe in revising or complete overhaul of mental health issues in relation to gun ownership.  The ability to cross-reference a mental health database does not exist AFAIK in regards to gun dealers.   As long as a person checks the no box regarding mental health issues (can't remember the exact wording) they can get a gun ? No problem with that  ?  I have real problems with that and I own more guns than most people I know.   I also live next door to Fort Knox and Knob Creek gun range.   Lots of military folks that are out of the service and a few still in (that I personally know) have mental health issues and probably shouldn't be carrying a weapon anywhere.   I believe this can only succeed IF as stated above, the laws are enforced.   

This idea would not necessarily need a law but a creation of a searchable database similar to Casper.   However, this would raise privacy issues that neither side wants to relinquish control.  

Yeah & we've seen enough cases recently of someone who legally shouldn't own a gun, or even had them taken away, then some family member or who knows who gives them another one.  So many of these mass shootings could've been prevented by stronger enforcement of existing laws.  State laws vary quite a bit as well.  I do think we're going to have to accept a revised federal standard for gun laws at some point, but all the hysteria & misinformation makes it extremely difficult to build any kind of consensus to get that done.  

That aside, I've thought about trying to attend a Knob Creek MG shoot, fire an old water-cooled .30 or something.  IDK about the culture at one of those things though, I'm sure half or more are just hobbyists but I really don't want to be around a bunch of yahoos, 3%'ers, Bundyites or who knows what.  I can only imagine what comes out of the woodwork at one of those things. 

22 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah & we've seen enough cases recently of someone who legally shouldn't own a gun, or even had them taken away, then some family member or who knows who gives them another one.  So many of these mass shootings could've been prevented by stronger enforcement of existing laws.  State laws vary quite a bit as well.  I do think we're going to have to accept a revised federal standard for gun laws at some point, but all the hysteria & misinformation makes it extremely difficult to build any kind of consensus to get that done.  

That aside, I've thought about trying to attend a Knob Creek MG shoot, fire an old water-cooled .30 or something.  IDK about the culture at one of those things though, I'm sure half or more are just hobbyists but I really don't want to be around a bunch of yahoos, 3%'ers, Bundyites or who knows what.  I can only imagine what comes out of the woodwork at one of those things. 

In regards to Knob Creek it's commercialized now.   It's still kind of a people watcher crowd.   Most people there are not going to participate in line fire, any of the group activities, or sales of various items.   There is a tailgate party of sorts that surrounds the range.  Most importantly there is a police and federal presence in uniform and out of uniform.   I've seen a wide range of cultural diversity and a big change over the last decade or so.   Probably part of the reason was the television show filmed there and the other being the enormous growth of the range, shop,  and amount of people visiting and shopping there.   Lots of retired military, veterans, LE, etc... are on staff there which helps with the comfort factor.   Knob Creek is not where one of the yahoo's you mention want to advertise they're a yahoo.   Previous decades past there were incidents with criminal sales going on in the vending area but now all of the vendors are screened and are from bigger firms such as Apex and others. 

In short, let me know when you are visiting and I'll also show you "our" end of the bourbon trail too.   Nothing says Kentucky like bullets and bourbon...  (just not at the same time)  😃

Archived