Wake Forest

6'1 

200 lbs 

Draft Projection
Rounds 2-3
NFL Comparison
Justin Evans
Overview
Versatile safety option with the athletic ability to handle man coverage responsibilities in space and the instincts and ball skills to post ball production in zone coverage. Bates is more than willing as a hitter, but can get himself in trouble as an open-field tackler due to inconsistent pursuit angles and technique. Bates plays with energy and aggressiveness and is likely to fill a stat sheet with production thanks to his versatility and play traits. He should contribute early on defense and special teams and has a chance to become a good NFL starter.
Strengths
  • Impressive fluidity for a safety with smooth hips and sudden feet
  • Quick in coverage transitions
  • Can line up over top of slots
  • Has pattern recognition to shade the breaks
  • Instinctive
  • Processes quarterback at same speed quarterback is processing field
  • Instant trigger to the throw
  • No stall at the top on his plant-and-drive
  • Sprints to potential pass target after recognizing play-action
  • Excellent route balance from zone
  • High school outfielder and hooper with plus ball tracking and ball skills
  • Can take it away and take it to the house
  • Volume tackler who is drawn to the football
  • Runs the alley and finishes with force
  • Has versatility to be utilized in a variety of coverages and alignments
Weaknesses
  • Has just two years of game experience
  • Needs more meat on his bones
  • Plays bigger than his frame raising durability concerns
  • Needs to play with better discipline in deep coverage responsibilities
  • Sniffs around on misdirection and will allow routes to get beyond him
  • Doesn't have a big second gear in his closing burst
  • Angles to the ball in coverage and as a tackler need work
  • Inconsistent tackler due to leverage issues
  • Overpursues and allows runners to cut back across his face

NFL DRAFT PREVIEW: Jessie Bates III could rise to first round; other local players might land free-agent deals

Jessie Bates III will have his name called and his life changed with the NFL Draft. The only question is when.

Bates’ stock has risen steadily since he decided to leave Wake Forest University after his redshirt sophomore season.

Look at the national draft previews and you’ll see his name among the top safeties. Read individual team speculation for those needing a safety and you’ll see his name. Everything the former Snider High School standout has done since declaring for the draft has been a plus for him: strong combine, strong individual team workouts and a positive attitude that shows no signs of slowing.

If the biggest stress of Bates’ weekend is in waiting for that draft call, he’s in good shape. The draft begins with the first round at 8 tonight. The second and third rounds are Friday and the fourth through seventh rounds Saturday.

“Honestly, it hasn’t hit me as much as it has hit my family,” Bates said. “It’ll be very surreal when it all happens and it all goes down. I’ve had dreams the last two nights about being drafted. It’s hard to sleep at night sometimes. But it’s a good thing.”

There are enough mock drafts predicting he’ll rise into the first round to believe he’ll definitely be in good shape. One mock, by NFL.com’s Chad Reuter, has Bates as high as No. 28 to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Bates expects it’s more likely he will go in the second round than the first, but he also knows NFL teams hold everything close to the vest. While he has talked and met with a variety of teams, it’s common for players to be drafted by teams who haven’t had direct contact with them in advance.

“I try to tell my family they can’t believe everything they see in the media,” Bates said. “All these mock drafts are inconsistent sometimes. The NFL draft analysts may be very popular but they don’t know what’s going on in the war room and what trades could possibly happen. I haven’t had my mind set on one team. I’m just being patient.”

http://www.news-sentinel.com/sports/2018/04/26/nfl-draft-preview-jessie-bates-iii-could-rise-to-first-round-other-local-players-might-land-free-agent-deals/

The Bengals have selected Wake Forest safety Jessie Bates. They've been looking to add a playmaker at that position after searching for safeties in free agency, so it's not surprising they went with one on Day 2. The need to get more turnovers has also been discussed, and one interception last year (six in his career).

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40020240-4

NFL Draft: Cincinnati Bengals take safety Bates

By Jay Morrison - Staff Writer

newsEngin.21900191_GettyImages-610182434   BLOOMINGTON, IN - SEPTEMBER 24: Jessie Bates #3 of the Wake Forest Demon Deacons reaches for and makes the interception against the Indiana Hoosiers at Memorial Stadium on September 24, 2016 in Bloomington, Indiana. (Photo by Michael Hickey/Getty Images)

Posted: 8:37 p.m. Friday, April 27, 2018

After trading down eight spots in the second round, the Cincinnati Bengals selected Wake Forest safety Jessie Bates with the 54th overall pick.

Bates was an early entrant in the draft after playing just two seasons at Wake, where he recorded 15 passes defended with six interceptions.

The 6-foot-1, 200-pounder also averaged 15.8 yards per punt return.

The Bengals sent the 46th pick and 100th pick to Kansas City for 54th and 78th picks. Cincinnati already own the 77th pick, so they’ll be making back-to-back picks to close out their night in the third round, barring another trade.

It’s the second year in a row they have traded down in the second round. Last year they dropped from 41st to 48th to obtain a fourth-round selection. The Bengals took Joe Mixon at 48 and drafted Josh Malone with the extra fourth-round pick (128th overall).

https://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sports/nfl-draft-cincinnati-bengals-take-safety-bates/8cYKvzZnPf5FdAMszfYrlM/

Fort Wayne’s Jessie Bates III drafted by Cincinnati Bengals in 2018 NFL Draft second round

SPORTS

APR 27, 2018

REGGIE HAYES

rhayes@news-sentinel.com

facebook_article_icon.pngtwitter_article_icon.png

• email_icon.png
  • print_icon.png

Jessie-Bates-for-draft-day-1100x733.jpg

Wake Forest defensive back Jessie Bates III performs in a drill at the 2018 NFL Scouting Combine on March 5 in Indianapolis. (Photo by the Associated Press)

Former Snider High School standout Jessie Bates III saw his NFL dreams become reality on the second day of the 2018 NFL Draft.

Bates, a safety from Wake Forest University, was selected by the Cincinnati Bengals with the 54th pick overall pick, coming in the second round Friday night. Bates will be a teammate of former Bishop Dwenger standout Tyler Eifert, who plays tight end for the Bengals.

Bates’ first regular-season NFL game will be against the Colts in Indianapolis on Sept. 9.

Bates decided to leave Wake Forest after his redshirt sophomore year in 2017. He said he felt he was ready to chase a pro career, something he’d been pointing toward since he was 6 years old.

Bates redshirted his first fall at Wake Forest, and then made a huge impact in 2016 and 2017. As a redshirt freshman in 2016, he tied for the Atlantic Coast Conference lead with 70 solo tackles and also had five interceptions, returning two for touchdowns. He had 79 tackles (50 solo) last season with one interception, five pass breakups and six tackles for loss.

Bates missed two games and parts of two others due to a sprained MCL. In his last Wake Forest game, he returned a punt 59 yards for a touchdown in a 55-52 win over Texas A&M on Dec. 29 in the Belk Bowl in Charlotte, N.C.

After declaring for the draft, Bates trained with AWP Sports in Fort Wayne and Applied Science & Performance Institute in Tampa, Fla.

Bates was invited to the NFL Combine in March and performed well. He finished among the Top 5 safeties in three events (the 3-cone drill, the 20-yard shuttle and the 60-yard shuttle) and was ninth among safeties in the 40-yard dash and 10th among safeties in the vertical jump.

THIS STORY WILL BE UPDATED

MORE ON JESSIE BATES III

http://www.news-sentinel.com/sports/2018/04/27/fort-waynes-jessie-bates-iii-reaches-nfl-dream-on-second-day-of-2018-draft/

Jessie Bates III
Safety
SCHOOL: WAKE FOREST | CONFERENCE: ACC
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6-1 / 200 | 40: 4.50 | DRAFT YR:2018

Rankings

GRADE grade-plus.png
PROJECTED ROUND
2nd
Bio: 
Two-year starter who was named Honorable Mention All-ACC and made 79 tackles (six for loss) with one interception and five pass breakups in 2017. Earned Third Team All-ACC honors and posted 100 tackles (3.5 for loss) with four PBUs while finishing tied for second in the conference with five interceptions as a redshirt freshman.
Pos: 
Surprise entry into the NFL draft with outstanding next-level potential. Instinctive, effectively reads and diagnoses the action and keeps the ball in front of him. Easily moves sideline to sideline, displays solid range and effectively picks up coverage assignments in center field. Tracks the pass in the air, fires to the ball out of his plant and shows an explosive closing burst. Possesses solid ball skills and has a nice move to the throw. Incredibly effective facing the action. Tough run defender who makes a lot of tackles on the ball carrier.
Neg: 
Possesses average speed. Lacks a big body of work. Has a thin frame and may struggle to hold up early on.
Analysis: 
Eyebrows were raised when Bates announced his entry into the draft, but his game film proves he’s a legitimate next-level prospect. He’s not the fastest defensive back and will need time to physically mature and learn the NFL game, but Bates has starting potential.

Meet Jessie Bates III, the versatile safety your NFL defense needs

usatsi_105042741.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

32SHARES
 TWEET
 EMAIL

By: Justin Melo | March 19, 2018 5:06 pm ET

There may be bigger names among the top safety prospects in the 2018 NFL draft, but overlook Wake Forest’s Jessie Bates III at your own risk.

Once a recruiting afterthought, Bates has developed into one of this year’s top players at a deep position in this year’s class. A highly productive defender for the Demon Deacons, Bates has the size, versatility and intelligence to make an immediate impact at the next level.

He recently spoke exclusively with Draft Wire about how he made the decision to leave school early, what traits make a successful safety, and what parts of the NFL Scouting Combine actually translate to the field.

RELATED

Exclusive interviews: Get to know some of the 2018 NFL draft's top prospects

JM: Some people were a little surprised when you declared for the 2018 NFL draft. Can you walk us through your decision process?

JBIII: It was a very difficult decision obviously. When I went home at the end of the season, I wasn’t sure if I was gonna come back or not. I met with my mentor, Michael Ledo and my family. We went through the decision-making process together. I had to make a really tough decision. I spoke to a few teammates and gave them the heads up that I was thinking about leaving, That was very hard due to the relationships I’ve built with those guys. I didn’t wanna up and leave them, but luckily they understood. I feel very confident in my decision.

JM: Focusing on what’s next, what are you working to improve?

Like this article?

Sign up for the The Draft Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning

JBIII: My main focus is on becoming more explosive. That starts with my 40 yard dash because that’ll play a big role in how people look at me throughout this process. I want to be explosive in and out of my breaks. Just being the most explosive player I can be is my main focus.

usatsi_10268454.jpg?w=1000&h=667

Greg M. Cooper-USA TODAY Sports

JM: What do you bring to the table in coverage?

JBIII: I take a lot of pride in how I prepare to play this game. I’m that guy who can spend all hours of the night in the film room. I’ll study all night until I get some route concepts. I’ll watch for how the quarterback looks through his progressions and things of that nature. My preparation and instincts are big for me. I think that gives me an edge on Saturdays, and now to come on Sundays.

JM: What about around the line of scrimmage?

JBIII: I’m able to see things as they flow. I play with great instincts around the line of scrimmage. I look at the receivers and I’m able to pick up on their splits and what not. I can tell if they’re coming to crack me so they can get a 1-on-1 matchup against the cornerback. There’s a lot of preparation that goes into it. Being able to bring everything to the table is a big thing for me.

JM: Do you think there’s a scheme you fit best at the next level?

JBIII: I wouldn’t say so. I think whatever the scheme is, I can become very flexible and adaptable to it. I’ll be able to play in any scheme. I have a high football IQ, and I take a lot of pride in that. That’s not something you can see. You have to get me in the film room in order to see that. The football IQ of it is huge.

JM: How did you develop that?

JBIII: Playing basketball and baseball, you learn from your experiences over the years. Whether that’s about playing center-field in baseball and having to track the ball, or thinking a step ahead of guys in basketball, it all translates to the football field. Playing all three sports over the years has helped me.

gettyimages-867509202.jpg?w=1000&h=667

(Photo by Mike Comer/Getty Images)

JM: People don’t realize how well it translates. Kids specialize way too early nowadays.

JBIII: Yeah, I would agree. That’s sometimes the people they listen to, unfortunately. A lot of people think they should focus on one sport. There’s both positives and negatives to it. You don’t wanna beat up your body. Some kids just get burned out from playing the same sport over and over again. I know that I don’t regret playing all three sports, even if it means I wasn’t recruited as high. I definitely don’t regret it, though.

JM: What are three traits a successful safety must possess?

JBIII: I would rank communication skills at the top. Those are so important. Leadership is a big one, because I feel like that goes hand-in-hand with the communication. You have to be able to build relationships with your corners and the whole defense, really. You need to trust each other on the field. You play so much faster when you trust the guys around you. Thirdly, I would say versatility. You have to be flexible. If you can both cover and come up in the run game, that’s big. It’s about being able to learn the whole defense. Those are the three keys, in my opinion.

JM: We’ve talked about you as a safety in length, but you’re also a pretty good return man. Was that scary at first?

JBIII: It was a little scary at first (laughs). It’s definitely not as intense in high school. A lot of guys in college or even the NFL, that’s their job. They keep their job by playing special teams. You better believe they’re looking to go record a big hit because that’s their role on a team. It can sometimes be scary when you’re looking up at the ball. You just have to trust your teammates to block for you. If I can make the first guy miss, that’s where it starts.

JM: Which combine drill or drills actually translates to how you play the game as a defensive back?

JBIII: I feel like the 40-yard dash tells you how fast someone is, but I think I play very fast in between the lines. Just because I don’t run a 4.3, that doesn’t mean I can’t play like a 4.3. Preparation is huge to playing fast. That gets lost on the public sometimes. It’s all about knowing your assignment. I would say the five-ten-five drill is something that’s very important. It’s about being able to stop and start while being able to control your body. That actually translates to the field. Other than that, I don’t see a lot that translates to the field, to be honest.

usatsi_10318245.jpg?w=1000&h=667

Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports

JM: That’s why a lot of people call the combine, “The Underwear Olympics.”

JBIII: Yeah (laughs). If you can jump a 43-inch vertical as a safety, great, but I don’t think that plays a huge role in the game. People have opinions, and that’s just mine.

JM: How do you cover a 6-foot-6 receiver differently than you would a guy who’s 5-foot-10?

JBIII: If a guy is 6-6, he’s probably not as quick as the 5-10 guy. I would be more patient with a 6-6 receiver. I wouldn’t allow him to get his hands on me because more than likely, he’s very strong, as to where a 5-10 guy is just looking to make one cut and go. That’s the way I look at it. There can be a 6-6 receiver that can run like a 5-10 receiver, so it all varies on the type of player. You’ll see that stuff on film.

JM: What’s one thing you want the world to know about Jessie Bates III, the person?

JBIII: I’ve embraced this sort of underdog mentality. That’s been the case my whole life. I didn’t get a lot of offers coming out of high school. My motto is to believe. That can take you a long way in life, as I become a father someday, and a family man. If you just believe in yourself, you could make a lot of things happen for yourself. That’s a big part of my life.

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2018/03/19/meet-jessie-bates-iii-the-versatile-safety-your-nfl-defense-needs/

Jessie Bates NFL Draft 2018: Scouting Report for Cincinnati Bengals' Pick

MATT MILLERAPRIL 27, 2018

Wake Forest defensive back Jessie Bates III (3) rushes with the ball ahead of Boston College tight end Korab Idrizi, left, after intercepting a pass during the second half of an NCAA college football game, Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017, in Boston. (AP Photo/Mary Schwalm)
Mary Schwalm/Associated Press

POSITIVES

—Bates is a quick, fluid, agile athlete who shows up in coverage looking like a cornerback.

—He's a hitter and doesn't mind throwing his frame around to make hits. He packs a punch.

—He's versatile enough to play any safety spot and can even lock up in man coverage if needed against slot receivers and tight ends.

—Teams running a zone defense should put a premium on Bates thanks to his range and instincts.

—Does a great job finding and getting to the football.

NEGATIVES

—Bates was just a two-year starter at Wake Forest and left school following his redshirt sophomore season.

—He has a lean frame with short arms (31 ⅝") and might need to add bulk.

—Reckless style of play is a concern with his frame and past injuries.

—Can get sucked into the box on play-action and misdirection.

—Saw his interceptions drop from five in 2016 to just one in 2017.

Ad 1 of 1
00:06

00:0000:25

OVERALL

Jessie Bates is one of the better true coverage safeties in the 2018 draft class. He identifies routes well and is athletic enough to get into position to make a play on the ball or limit targets. A team needing an over-the-top safety early in Round 2 should be all over Bates.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2769585-jessie-bates-nfl-draft-2018-scouting-report-for-cincinnati-bengals-pick

Archived