RD 3 - Bengals select SAM HUBBARD, DE

1 minute ago, oldschooler said:

That is a very cool shirt! Where did you get it?

And thanks for the Hubbard pick :lol:

I think I it was on Facebook back in 2015 back when they were both still undefeated.

You're welcome. :biggrin: 

Sam Hubbard NFL Draft 2018: Scouting Report for Cincinnati Bengals' Pick

MATT MILLERAPRIL 27, 2018

Ohio State defensive end Sam Hubbard plays against Penn State during an NCAA college football game Saturday, Oct. 28, 2017, in Columbus, Ohio. (AP Photo/Jay LaPrete)
Jay LaPrete/Associated Press

POSITIVES

—Relentless pass-rusher who wins with length, technique and discipline.

—Uses his length (33 ⅛" arms) well to separate from blockers in the run game.

—Has the closing speed on the edge to get into the backfield.

—Projects as a 4-3 defensive end.

—Ohio State coaches gave awesome reviews of his character, football IQ and work ethic.

—Was a high school safety and lacrosse standout; has built his frame up (6'5", 270 lbs) and has great strength.

NEGATIVES

—Tested better athletically at the combine than he looks on film.

—Only posted 17 sacks in college.

—Doesn't win with first-step quickness and is likely limited to playing with his hand down.

—Is more agile than fast and won't beat tackles off the ball with speed.

OVERALL

Sam Hubbard is a good player who doesn't have an elite trait to hang his hat on. He's strong and smart, and his motor runs hot, which is enough to get him inside the draft's top 50 picks. Teams running a 4-3 that want a strong-side end will like him more than 3-4 defenses.

GRADE: 6.99 (Round 2)

PRO PLAYER COMPARISON: Chandler Jones, Arizona Cardinals

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2769430-sam-hubbard-nfl-draft-2018-scouting-report-for-cincinnati-bengals-pick

Hubbard is a steal in the 3rd.  This draft isn't overflowing with pass rushers and he can definitely do that.  The combo of him, Bosa, and Lewis was dominant at times for OSU last year and he can immediately be part of the rotation.  Austin has to be excited to have a package with Hubbard, Lawson, Dunlap, and Geno.

Picked by Bengals, Buckeyes' Sam Hubbard comes full circle

Sam Hubbard (6) piled up 17 sacks in three seasons at Ohio State, including seven in 2017. Aaron Doster/USA TODAY Sports

7:00 AM CT
  • terrell_katherine.png&w=160&h=160&scale=
    Katherine TerrellESPN Staff Writer

CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis shot Ohio State coach Urban Meyer a text shortly after Cincinnati took center Billy Price in the first round of the 2018 NFL draft on Thursday night.

"We've finally got a Buckeye," Lewis texted.

Now, with the addition of Sam Hubbard on Friday night with the 77th overall pick, the Bengals have two, and Meyer might be the one to thank for that.

Lewis was visiting Ohio State's campus about four years ago, when Hubbard was still a recruit from Cincinnati whom Meyer was trying to lure two hours up the road to Columbus. Hubbard happened to give Meyer a call that day, and he didn't hesitate to take advantage of Lewis' presence. He quickly put Lewis on the phone to try a different kind of sales pitch.

"[Meyer] said, 'Guess who I'm standing here talking to? You're going to come here and play for the Buckeyes and you're going to get a chance to play for your hometown Bengals,'" Lewis recalled.

Meyer got his man, and eventually, so did Lewis. When Lewis was visiting Ohio State again this spring for the Buckeyes' pro day, Meyer reminded him of that conversation all those years ago.

"I told Sam about it on the phone [on draft night]," Lewis said. "You're talking about full circle with that."

It hasn't escaped Hubbard how unique it was that everything turned out just as his coaches predicted. Hubbard, a lifelong Bengals fan, hadn't committed to Ohio State at that time, but perhaps Lewis' pitch gave him the push he needed.

ADVERTISEMENT

"That was a great recruiting tool," the defensive end recalled Friday. "He’s a smart man, he’s got connections. He put Marvin Lewis on the phone, and the guy has been the coach of Cincinnati pretty much my whole life. That’s something that Coach Lewis told me on the phone, when they called to draft me, that it came full circle ...

"It’s really special. You know, it’s hard to believe things work out like that sometimes. It's incredible.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/274765/picked-by-bengals-buckeyes-sam-hubbard-comes-full-circle

Home is sweet for Hubbard

Posted 8 hours ago

hoard-byline.jpgDan HoardBengals.comBengals Radio VoiceBlog

042718-hubbard-sam-art-1.jpg

Sam Hubbard (6), Cincinnai's own, is a Bengal.

When Sam Hubbard was a student at Cincinnati’s Moeller High School and hadn’t committed to play football at Ohio State, he called Buckeyes head coach Urban Meyer and wound up speaking to Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis as well.

“He happened to call Urban on the phone when I was on the field visiting with him,” recalled Lewis after Hubbard became a Bengal five years later. “And Urban said, ‘Guess who I’m standing here talking to? You’re going to come and play for the Buckeyes and then you’re going to have a chance to play for your hometown Bengals.’”

“That was a great recruiting tool,” said Hubbard. “I thought that Coach Meyer had great connections. He put Marvin Lewis on the phone – the guy who has been the coach at Cincinnati pretty much my whole life.”
Meyer’s prediction came true on Friday night when the Bengals selected the Ohio State defensive end in the third round with the 77th overall pick. 

“It’s incredible,” said Hubbard. “I really didn’t see this coming and the way that it worked out where I get to stay home is something that I’ve never even dreamed of. To represent the city of Cincinnati like I’ve tried to do my whole life – this gives me another opportunity and I’m going to give it everything that I’ve got.”

Sam was an all-state safety and lacrosse standout at Moeller who arrived in Columbus as a linebacker and tight end before gaining size and strength and moving to the defensive line. He thrived up front in three seasons with the Buckeyes as Hubbard had 17 sacks and 29.5 tackles-for-loss before bypassing his final season of eligibility to turn pro. 

“Sam jumps off the film with his passion and how hard he plays,” said defensive line coach Jacob Burney. “Every play from start to finish. That makes a difference to me and it makes a difference to him. The first thing he said to me on the telephone was, 'Coach, I'm going to give you everything that I've got.' That's all he knows.”

“It’s a relentless style of play,” said Hubbard. “It’s angry. It’s 100 miles an hour on every snap.”
“I had an opportunity to work with Grant Wistrom and Grant was the same way,” said defensive coordinator Teryl Austin. “Just hard-charging, going to give you everything he’s got on every play and he was a really good football player for us in Seattle. I said to Sam, ‘You kind of remind me of him.’ And he was like, ‘Who’s that?’ But the bottom line is that he’s got a great motor and is a really good technician as a football player. I don’t know if you’ll find a guy that plays harder than him.”

The Bengals will look for Hubbard to move into the defensive line rotation as a rookie and take some of the 401 snaps that Chris Smith played last season before leaving in free agency. 
“Sam gives us an opportunity to put some more people up front on the defensive line and continue with that rotation and fill a spot there,” Lewis said. 

“I think that they saw a really good base end that can do a lot of different things,” said Hubbard. “A guy that can sub-in on those rush situations and get inside and outside in their four-man fronts and do different things. And also get into the rotation this year just to help the guys and compete for playing time.

“The defense that they run in Cincinnati is very similar if not almost exactly the same as what we did at Ohio State. I brought that up on my visit to Cincinnati so I feel like I’m already a step ahead in learning the playbook. Now it’s time to get to work and show them what I can do.”

Hubbard grew up a Bengals fan and looks forward to lining up with established stars likeGeno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap.

“Those are some Pro Bowl players and they’re incredible,” he said. “They’ve been in the league a long time and what I’m going to do is keep my mouth shut and go hard and work my butt off just to show them that 
I’m here to play and to contribute. Whatever they have to say, I’m going to listen to and try to do whatever I can to help the team and contribute to that defensive line group.”

The 22-year-old helped lead Moeller to consecutive Division I state titles as a junior and senior and was a red-shirt during Ohio State’s 2014 national championship season.

There’s an obvious goal remaining.

“The last thing I need is a Super Bowl and I'm committed to doing everything I can to make sure that happens here in Cincinnati,” he said.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Home-is-sweet-for-Hubbard/b56417e1-9291-48d1-8d47-6033a69b01b7

77. Cincinnati Bengals: Sam Hubbard, Defensive End, Ohio State

45 OF 68

hi-res-401c75565aab01e2b2eb7bbd62f34789_
Joe Robbins/Getty Images

Strengths: Inside moves, intangibles.

Weaknesses: Speed.

Sam Hubbard was a lacrosse player in high school. Folks, not every lacrosse player ends up on the Patriots. It’s a really popular sport nowadays. Visit your local high school and find out what the kids are up to! (You may be shocked to discover that even the cool kids play video games and like superheroes too, Coach Mora). Anyway, Hubbard has a quick inside move as an edge-rusher that can make him a fine contributor to blitz and stunt packages. He ran a shockingly slow 4.95-second 40 at his pro day, though his other workout results were pretty strong.

Hubbard is tricky to evaluate because of the contradictory workout results and the overall quality of the Buckeyes defense, but he’s an Academic All-Big 10 performer who does enough dirty work to be part of a D-line rotation.

Grade: B

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2772951-nfl-draft-2018-day-2-grades-for-every-pick

Archived