RD 3 - Bengals select SAM HUBBARD, DE

77. Sam Hubbard, DE, Cincinnati Bengals

His tape is solid, but nothing jumps off the screen. Teams looking for a big time edge rusher won't get too excited by him, but he will appeal to defensive coordinators looking for guys with size and motor to plug into a blitz-heavy, twist-happy defense. Hubbard could become an early starter as a strong-side defensive end for a 4-3 defense. --Lance Zierlein

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000929490/article/mike-mayocks-pickbypick-draft-analysis-for-rounds-23-results

1 minute ago, PatternMaster said:

I like the pick, but if anyone thinks this means that MJ90 is going to be cut then they are misinformed.

Currently the Bengals have 4 DE's on the roster, including Hubbard.

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/CIN

How many hybrid LB’s do we have? How many of our DT’s can slide over?

16 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Yeah MJ is not really a playmaker and it seems that's what Austin is focused on most. I'm not convinced he is safe.

Yeah, I think the team is getting away from really slotting guys according to more traditional positions. I think it’s becoming more about players and their skillsets matching situations and scenarios.

58 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I like the pick, but if anyone thinks this means that MJ90 is going to be cut then they are misinformed.

Currently the Bengals have 4 DE's on the roster, including Hubbard.

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/CIN

I said that and it was my opinion and not misinformation. (clarification of the remark: not intended in a negative or derogatory nature to your post... not trolling).

I just think we've seen enough of Michael Johnson, know what he can and can't do, he ain't getting any younger and time to move along.

1 hour ago, schotzee said:

Yeah MJ is not really a playmaker and it seems that's what Austin is focused on most. I'm not convinced he is safe.

Mj may not be safe, but he has been moved to different spots on the defense. But with this team moving  into a multiple formatinal look on defense I'm not to sure who is going to be safe.

1 hour ago, thezerawkid said:

Yeah, I think the team is getting away from really slotting guys according to more traditional positions. I think it’s becoming more about players and their skillsets matching situations and scenarios.

I think Zimmer did a fine job of that, maybe less so his replacement.

Overall I see a trend towards ball control & play-action backed by a deep defense while they try to rebuild the OL.  

When has MB ever cut a vet that had value, whether or not us fans see it or not is irrelevant? When has ML ever started a rookie over a proven vet? The answer to both questions is rarely ever or never.

MJ is solid vs the run and can play DT in passing situations. Actually Hubbard is more like MJ90 than any other DE on the roster, he's an effort guy that is stout vs the run but average in pass rush. 

This isn't the Highlander, there can be more than one.

41 minutes ago, bigboi said:

Mj may not be safe, but he has been moved to different spots on the defense. But with this team moving  into a multiple formatinal look on defense I'm not to sure who is going to be safe.

I agree. It seems like it's gonna come down to play making ability first and foremost above versatility though just from what I gather.

10 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

When has MB ever cut a vet that had value, whether or not us fans see it or not is irrelevant? When has ML ever started a rookie over a proven vet? The answer to both questions is rarely ever or never.

MJ is solid vs the run and can play DT in passing situations. Actually Hubbard is more like MJ90 than any other DE on the roster, he's an effort guy that is stout vs the run but average in pass rush. 

This isn't the Highlander, there can be more than one.

I'm hoping we can turn the page on past transgressions and play best player available no matter salary or whatever. I think this is one of Beliciks strong suits and why he is successful. Of course he doesn't have an owner sticking his nose into it like our team does.

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

When’s the last time we traded down significantly in the first round and Pickens up a starting offensive tackle?

Things seem a bit different.

Archived