RD 3 - Bengals select MALIK JEFFERSON, LB

21 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

Yeah, that guy don't no shit about coaching LB's!  starting rookies when there is a veteran available.

:rolleyes:

Fixt.

But you are right, we have had so many great LBs since Marvin has been here.  We've had Burict and......

um......

well......

No, just the one.

34 minutes ago, Jason said:

Fixt.

But you are right, we have had so many great LBs since Marvin has been here.  We've had Burict and......

um......

well......

No, just the one.

Brian Simmons (already here but studly)

Odell Thurmann - Headcase but great when he got his head on.

Ahmed Brooks showed flashes here and was studly for the 9ers.

Vontaze. Headcase but HOF worthy when he plays with his brain engaged.

Four. Two certs, one maybe, one borderline.

Maybe we need to all in on LBs one year.

9 hours ago, VonBlade said:

Brian Simmons (already here but studly)

Odell Thurmann - Headcase but great when he got his head on.

Ahmed Brooks showed flashes here and was studly for the 9ers.

Vontaze. Headcase but HOF worthy when he plays with his brain engaged.

Four. Two certs, one maybe, one borderline.

Maybe we need to all in on LBs one year.

Simmons wasn't notably better after Marvin arrived than he was before.  Brooks was just a guy here, but a Pro Bowl player in SF.  Odell was pretty good.  For 1 year.  He made plays.  But he also gave up some plays because he was undisciplined.  But I'll give you Odell.  I actually thought about him after I hit "submit".  So that's 2 IMO.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Simmons wasn't notably better after Marvin arrived than he was before.  Brooks was just a guy here, but a Pro Bowl player in SF.  Odell was pretty good.  For 1 year.  He made plays.  But he also gave up some plays because he was undisciplined.  But I'll give you Odell.  I actually thought about him after I hit "submit".  So that's 2 IMO.

Odell was just naturally talented, he was a beast on the field and complete nut job before he was drafted. 

For Marvin to be some LB guru he has done a shit job of drafting and developing LBs. Outside of Burfict, who is one questionable call from a referee away from being banned for life, I can't think of any other LBs that have had success here.

The Bengals have wasted many prime draft picks on LBs that either barely played because they weren't ready, just sucked, or they liked to beat women. Either way it's an indictment on Marvin for sure.

During Marvin's 16 year tenure as HC the Bengals have drafted a LB in the first 5 rounds of the draft 13 times not a single one has been to a Pro Bowl, been named All Pro, etc.. they have all been slightly above average at best and complete bust at worst. 

On 06/05/2018 at 12:26 PM, Jason said:

My memory is pretty bad, so I did some scrolling through our seasonal rosters in case I'd missed somebody.

I hadn't.

We've haven't so much had a murderers row at LB but a whole heap of choirgirls.

5. MALIK JEFFERSON, Texas (6-2, 237, 4.55, Round 2): Five-star recruit, third-year junior and three-year starter at various positions. “Can play inside or outside and can rush the passer,” one scout said. “Excellent athletic ability and quickness. Good tackler. Around the ball. Fills and fits well. Does not let the blocker get much contact on him.” Not durable, missing games each of his three seasons.

“He is everything you want athletically,” said a second scout. “But I thought the instincts were off and the production was off. He didn’t get to the plays he should. He’s what I call a clear-view linebacker. If there’s nobody blocking him, if the defensive line keeps everybody off and if it’s right there between the tackles he can hammer you. But go try and find the ball, I thought he was really lacking.

He looks just like you draw guys up. ‘Oh, my God, you want a linebacker, that’s the guy you want.’” Finished with 233 tackles (25 ½ for loss) and 12 sacks. “Stiff,” said a third scout. “Big and can run and can hit. He’s a little lacking in instincts, and he’s stiff.”

He could see alot of action...

Outside of Vonteze whos has that much more ability?

I like Vigil as the Sam...made mistakes as rookie look for improvement.

We now have a good MLB in Preston Brown....

Jordan Evans could be the WILL..

Jefferson could get alot  of snaps here if Evans falters....

is Lawson a DE ?

Nickerson and Rey arent cover backers to me...

Chris Worley on special teams..

Archived