7 picks on Saturday in Rd's 4-7, who to target?

4 players in the books and now the Bengals still have 7 picks on Saturday (as many or most than many teams have for their entire drafts) ...

Round 4 (112)

Round 5 (151)

Round 5 (158)

Round 5 (170)

Round 7 (249)

Round 7 (252)

Round 7 (253)

Who should they target? 

I think Day 3 is the place to take some chances on height-weight-speed guys, or developmental prospects that can learn on the practice squad. 

Prospects that I like would be ... (in order of position, not value) 

QB Tanner Lee, Nebraska, 6’4, 225 lbs

WR Equanimeous St. Brown, Notre Dame, 6’5, 214 lbs

WR J’mon Moore, Missouri, 6’3, 207 lbs

WR Auden Tate, FSU, 6’5, 225 lbs

WR Allen Lazard, Iowa State, 6’4, 225 lbs

WR Jaleel Scott, NM State, 6’5, 220 lbs

TE Jordan Thomas, Miss St., 6’6, 275 lbs

G Wyatt Teller, Va Tech, 6’5, 314 lbs

G Jamil Demby, Maine, 6’5, 319 lbs

G Skyler Phillips, Idaho St., 6’3, 325 lbs

DT Tim Settle, Va Tech, 6’2, 330 lbs

DT Poona Ford, Texas, 5’11, 310 lbs

MLB Tegray Scales, Indiana, 6’0, 230 lbs

OLB Shaquem Griffin, UCF, 6’0, 220 lbs

K Daniel Carlson, Auburn, 6’5, 215 lbs

P JK Scott, Alabama, 6’5, 205 lbs

Round 4

T-Tyler Crosby-Oregon
JaMarco Jones-OSU (3)
Will Richardson-NC State
Luke Falk-Wash St (4)
Kyle Lauletta-Richmond (4)

Round 5

Mark Walton-Miami (5)
John Kelly-Tenn (5)
Josh Adams-ND (5)
Darrell Williams-LSU (5)
Equanimeous St. Brown-ND (3)
Cedrick Wilson-Boise St (5)
Antonio Callaway-Florida (5)
Chris Herndon-Miami (5)
Darius Phillips-WMU (5)
Daesean Hamilton-PSU (4)
Keke Coutee-T Tech(4)

Why even bother with a QB pick? We've already got 3 on the roster. Also, the Bengals need to be more careful with their sixth rounder this season than just about any before. If they're not careful, it might almost be like that pick is invisible.

5 hours ago, Cricket said:

...add the rugby player. 

Agree.

Was going to say the same thing.

Best kicker available coming out of college.  The last kicker we drafted

contributed and took home a Super Bowl ring.

Fat Randy is a book hard and answer to a future trivia contest question.

4 hours ago, Bunghole said:

Why even bother with a QB pick? We've already got 3 on the roster. Also, the Bengals need to be more careful with their sixth rounder this season than just about any before. If they're not careful, it might almost be like that pick is invisible.

Given the premium on the position, they should take at least one every year.  You never really know when you might strike gold

8 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Things I believe the Bengals could benefit from drafting on Day 3 ... 

- A backup QB and Training camp arm

- A mauler G

- A tall redzone WR

- A run blocking TE

- A goal line NT

- A kicker

- A punter (competition)

Even though we have 7 picks today, I'd rather not use a draft pick on a camp leg.  You can do that with a UDFA.

The rest I agree with.

A few that has caught my eye.

CB - JC Jackson Maryland

DT - Maurice Hurst Michigan

DT/DE = Deahawn Hand Alabama

LB -  Genard Avery Memphis

RB/WR/KR/PR - Nyheim Hines NC State - played WR and RB and was a top returner.

FB - Dimitri Flowers Oklahoma - I think this guy can really help the team. Great hands, great blocker, good short yardage runner.

TE - Ian Thomas Indiana - Solid all around game

Nick Nelson, CB, Wisconsin – He had 21 passes defensed last season, but he didn't register any interceptions (I'm having flashbacks to Johnathan Joseph's rookie season with the Bengals). His name has come up in conversation a lot, which leads me to believe the Bengals might be higher on him than others across the league. Nelson could be in play for the Bengals in rounds 4-5. He would give them a nickel corner who could sit and learn behind Darqueze Dennard.

Shaquem Griffin, OLB, Central Florida – Most of us know Griffin's story by now. He only has one hand, but that doesn't mean he won't have success in the NFL. He's a good athlete, who made his fair share of plays in college and will likely contribute on special teams as a rookie. I expect a team to pick him in rounds 5-6. 

Tyrell Crosby, OL, Oregon – The Bengals need another offensive lineman, so why not take a guy who was supposed to be drafted by now? Crosby is far from a perfect prospect, but he would offer nice value in the fourth round. He's a big, strong offensive linemen that could develop into a starter. 

Jamarcus Jones, OL, Ohio State – Why not take another player from Ohio State? Jones started all 14 games at left tackle for the Buckeyes in 2017. He's a solid lineman, but doesn't project to be a starter in the NFL. I could see the Bengals considering Jones in the fifth round.

Korey Cunningham, OL, Cincinnati – Why not keep 'Big Country' in Cincinnati? Cunningham is a mountain of a man and might be worth a flier in round seven. The Bengals got to see him in person multiple times during this process and it wouldn't shock me if they took a flier on him with one of their final picks.

Genard Avery, LB, Memphis – Avery was a first-team All-American Athletic Conference performer in 2017. He registered 80 tackles, 22 for loss and 8.5 sacks. He doesn't project to be a star in the NFL, but I could see the Bengals taking another linebacker on day three. Avery would fit the bill. 

Josh Sweat, Edge, Florida State – Sweat is still available because of medical concerns. He will get picked at some point early on day three. He's too talented to continue to fall. I think he could be in play for the Bengals with pick 112. Last season Sweat made 12 starts, posting 56 tackles, 12.5 for loss, 5.5 sacks, with three breakups. The idea of landing Sweat after drafting Sam Hubbard may not make sense to some, but I wouldn't argue with them drafting another pass rusher with a lot of upside like Sweat. 

Antonio Callaway, WR, Florida – Callaway is the wildcard in this draft. He has a ton of athletic ability and is one of the most talented wide receivers in this draft. He has the quickness and speed that teams look for. Unfortunately, he's had his fair share of issues off-the-field. He faced a sexual assault trial the summer before his sophomore year but was cleared of those charges. He was also cited for marijuana possession in May of last year. Calloway never played in a game last season because of his involvement in a credit card fraud scheme with other teammates. He also tested positive for marijuana at the combine. EVEN with that type of history, I think a team will consider drafting him. The Bengals have three picks in the seventh round – they might as well take a talented, but troubled player, right?

Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Notre Dame – St. Brown is a tall, lanky wide receiver with speed. He's 6'5" tall and 214 pounds. He led Notre Dame in receiving in 2016 with 58 receptions for 961 yards and nine touchdowns. He has a gigantic catch radius and could be on the Bengals' radar on day three. 

Deon Cain, WR, Clemson – The Bengals love taking a flier on a player with size and speed. Cain ran a 4.43 40-yard dash. He is 6'2" tall and 202 pounds. He was a big factor in Clemson's win over Alabama in the 2016 National Championship – he had five receptions for 94 yards. 

Other prospects they may consider: Quarterbacks – Kyle Lauletta, Mike White, Logan Woodside and Quinton Flowers are players to watch. Some offensive linemen worth monitoring are Will Richardson and Toby Weathersby.

Hurst, the Michigan defensive tackle who many believe has first-round talent, is still on the board. There are many other good football players still on the board as we look ahead to Round 4. Let's take a look at who they are.

Top 25 still available 

1. Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan - It seems as though Hurst's heart condition is playing a major role in his draft slide. On film, he's a top 10 prospect in this class, a perfect fit as a penetrating defensive tackle in today's NFL.
  2. Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, OLB/DE, Oklahoma - This is a three-down, bendy, speed-rusher with long, active arms who was highliy productive in college. What's not to like? 
  3. Marcell Ateman, WR, Oklahoma State - James Washington was the big-play target for Mason Rudolph. Ateman was the go-to guy on third downs and in tight coverage in the red-zone. He's a high-point monster. 
  4. Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon - Crosby is a compact mauler who has good feet and really moves people in the run game. I'm really surprised he's still available, because he could even play guard if need be and dominate with his low center of gravity and power. 
  5. Holton Hill, CB, Texas - There are some off-field concerns with Hill, which could've precipitated him still being available in Round 4. On the field, he's a tall, long-armed press man cornerback with plus athleticism. 
  6. Josh Sweat, DE, Florida State - Some teams might have concerns about Sweat's knee, but ummm, have you seen his combine workout? Jadeveon Clowney-like. He plays like Clowney too. Lengthy, power defensive end who's a ridiculous linear athlete. 
  7. Tim Settle, DT, Virginia Tech - Settle is built like a run-lane clogging nose tackle but moves like he's a smaller, one-gap defensive tackle. He wins with burst and active hands. 
  8. Bradley Bozeman, C, Alabama - All Bozeman did in the NFL farm system also known as the SEC was block everything in front of him in the run game, and his wide, strong frame lead to him being a brick wall in pass-protection. He has "late-round steal" written all over him. 
  9. Deontay Burnett, WR, USC - A premier slot-only wideout in this class, Burnett's short with a tiny frame by NFL standards, yet is a twitchy mover in space and has outstanding ball skills and a willingness to make diving catches down the field. Fun niche prospect.
  10. Greg Stroman, CB, Virginia Tech - Stroman is the type of cornerback teams will want to stop pesky players like Burnett at the next level. He's a quick slot cornerback who was consistently productive during an illustrious career at Virginia Tech. Stroman had seven picks and 21 pass breakups in his final two seasons in Blacksburg. 
  11. Duke Ejiofor, DE, Wake Forest - A shoulder injury may be the reason Ejiofor's sliding. His film shows a defensive end/defensive tackle hybrid with long, heavy arms he deploys often on offensive linemen. He's a refined prospect with a bright future. 
  12. Jeff Holland, DE, Auburn - Holland isn't a pass-rushing technician, yet he's not dull with his hands and absolutely flies off the edge with reckless abandon on seemingly every snap. 
  13. Auden Tate, WR, Florida - A poor combine sunk Tate. He's such a fluid mover for 6-foot-5 and 225 pounds and is a dominant high-point receiver. 
  14. Kameron Kelly, S, San Diego State - Kelly will fly up and lay the lumber in run support and obviously has quality coverage skills due to his time spent at cornerback in college. 
  15. Skai Moore, LB, South Carolina - A high-cut linebacker who's quicker than fast, Moore excels in coverage, mainly in zone. He had 14 -- yes, 14 -- interceptions in his four-year career with the Gamecocks. 
  16. R.J. McIntosh, DT, Miami - One of the only prospects I saw clearly makeQuenton Nelson whiff in pass protection. McIntosh is either a power defensive end or a nickel inside rusher. I love his swim move, which is what he used to beat the top-10 pick. 
  17. Kalen Ballage, RB, Arizona State - My comparison for Ballage isDavid Johnson. Both are tall, hyper-athletic running backs who're super-comfortable catching the football. 
  18. Jamarco Jones, OT, Ohio State - Jones rarely got help via chips from tight ends at Ohio State and held his own on an island in his final season in Columbus. He has NFL size and length. With added power, he can be a mid-round pick who becomes a franchise tackle.
  19. Quin Blanding, S, Virginia - Mostly an active run-stopper who's typically first to the football, Blanding has some range as a deep safety but coverage isn't his forte. 
  20. Justin Lawler, DE, SMU - Lawler's lack of length and twitchiness will likely lead to him falling far into Day Three. He's a powerful player and understands how to use his hands to win the leverage battle against the run and when he's rushing the passer. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-draft-day-3-maurice-hurst-tops-list-of-the-best-available-prospects/

Five of my Top 50 prospects remain. For Hurst, I'm starting to wonder if he goes undrafted. Perhaps a team takes a "chance" on the potential top 10 talent. His ability to consistently create from the interior is unmatched in this class.

As you can see, the skill position talent and offensive line talent has been wiped out in this range. Plenty of defensive prospects remain.

1. DL Maurice Hurst, Michigan | 6’1, 292 | Athleticism: N/A | Age: 23

Where He Wins: Burst off the snap to shoot gaps or attack edges of interior offensive linemen. Hurst is so quick that he takes advantage of any error on the inside. Late on a reach block? Hurst is in the backfield. Hesitate to fill for a pulling lineman? Hurst will make a play. Likely fits as a 3-technique in a one gap defense, but has plenty of snaps at 1-technique in a NASCAR package. Plays low, which helps carry the momentum he created. Plays with timing and vision to separate and make plays on the ball.

Forecast: Interior disruption is king, and Hurst offers it most consistently in this class. Hurst was held out of the Combine with a heart concern, but he has since been cleared.

2. LB/EDGE Genard Avery, Memphis | 6’1, 248 | Athleticism: 87th percentile | Age: ?

Where He Wins: Exciting prospects because he combines athleticism, bend and closing quickness. With that said, he isn’t strictly a pass rusher. He often works as a true off ball linebacker and is asked to cover receivers in the slot. A front seven weapon who is equally as talented to chase and defend the run or rush the passer, especially with his natural leverage advantage and flexibility.

Comparison: LB Haason Reddick, Cardinals

Forecast: Does have trouble knifing through blockers in his path. Luckily I don’t have to decide where he is being used, but he can win in multiple roles.

3. T Tyrell Crosby, Oregon | 6’5, 309 | Athleticism: 23rd percentile | Age: 23

Where He Wins: Left tackle. Squares shoulders towards his opponent and delivers a strong punch. If that punch puts the opposition off balance, Crosby finishes him with a nasty demeanor. Functional strength is there, so when footwork or punch is off, he can still complete his block. His goal in the running game is to create movement.

Comparison: T Donald Penn, Raiders

Forecast: Not the testing athlete of some of his peers, but he plays within himself and can help a team early on. Coaches will love his on-field mentality.

4. EDGE Josh Sweat, FSU | 6’5, 251 | Athleticism: 95th percentile | Age: 21

Where He Wins: Insane athlete. Sweat can fire up the field in a hurry, instantly putting an offensive tackle in panic mode to get a deep drop set. If Sweat has space, he will win and disrupt the backfield. Held up in run defense well.

Comparison: EDGE Danielle Hunter, LSU

Forecast: FSU often used sweat as a tight edge instead of a true edge, where he would be afforded more space. In fact, often it seemed he was reactive rather than asked to be disruptive. Hopefully that changes. He gets a bit lost when his initial momentum is stopped, lacking a counter. I hope he lands with a coach who can coach.

5. WR Equanimeous St. Brown, Notre Dame | 6’5, 214 | 62nd percentile | Age: 21

Where He Wins: A very smooth player for his size. Will run crossing routes underneath and can win after the catch thanks for long strides. Has body control to adjust and win along the sideline. Naturally wins big because of his height and length.

Comparison: WR Devin Funchess, Panthers

Forecast: His combination of fluidity and size is difficult to find. He doesn’t consistently win big despite being big. A second day pick.

6. WR DaeSean Hamilton, Penn State - Inside and outside receiver who is “good” in many areas

7. EDGE Obo Okoronkwo, Oklahoma - Shorter edge with good bend and flexibility

8. S Marcus Allen, Penn State - Big downhill safety who wants to hit like a linebacker

9. RB John Kelly, Tennessee - Big back who wins on contact and is comfortable in the passing game

10. T Jamarco Jones, Ohio State - Best in pass protection. True tackle size

11. CB DJ Reed, Kansas State - Outstanding slot corner prospects

12. CB Avonte Maddox, Pitt - Smaller slot corner with fantastic athleticism

13. EDGE Duke Ejiofor, Wake Forest - Labrum surgery but a pass rusher with outside to inside ability

14. S Armani Watts, Texas A&M - Quick closing and aggressive safety in the back end

15. TE Ian Thomas, Indiana - Lacked production, but is one of the real athletes in this class at the position

16. DL Foley Fatukasi, UConn - Interior disruptor with very good athleticism

17. EDGE Kylie Fitts, Utah - Great bend to turn the corner on the outside, dealt with injuries

18. LB Shaquem Griffin, UCF - Likely a run and chase linebacker/safety with an endless motor

19. QB Kyle Lauletta, Richmond - Mobile passer who could operate as a No. 2

20. LB Josey Jewell, Iowa - Sound football player who identifies and attacks upfield

21. T Desmond Harrison, West Georgia - Extremely athletic left tackle with a finisher’s mentality

22. EDGE Kentavius Street, NC State - Tore his ACL in a private workout. Great athleticism

23. WR Cedrick Wilson, Boise State - Used on shallow crosses and vertical routes where he could track the football

24. CB Parry Nickerson, Tulane - Shorter corner who plays big at the catch point

25. CB Holton Hill, Texas - Talent is there, but ran into issues off the field

26. S Natrell Jamerson, Wisconsin - Very athletic safety who also played slot corner. Great length

27. S Kyzir White, WVU - Flies into the box to attack ball carriers and finishes violently

28. CB Nick Nelson, Wisconsin - Injured during draft process

29. DL Jullian Taylor, Temple - Extreme athleticism to disrupt from the interior, if he learns to play

30. CB Christian Campbell, Penn State - Long corner and one of the most athletic players at his position

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/79557/60/day-3-best-available-players

Archived