RD 7 - Bengals select LOGAN WOODSIDE, QB

6'1

213 lbs

Woodside has not had an easy go of things at Toledo. The Frankfort, Kentucky native, a first-team all-state pick before coming to the Rockets, played in four games with one start in 2013 (21-for-41, 240 yards, touchdown). The following year, Woodside took over the starting role early on due to a season-ending injury to Alabama transfer Phillip Ely (62.5 completion percentage, 2,263 yards, 19 touchdowns, eight interceptions). He helped the Rockets beat Arkansas State in the GoDaddy.com Bowl at the end of the year, going 21-for-27 for 176 yards. He lost the starting job to Ely before the 2015 season, however, and redshirted to maintain his eligibility. Coaches had to start him the next year, though, and he excelled in executing the team's quick-throw offense. Woodside garnered first-team All-MAC honors as a junior, completing 69 percent of his passes for 4,129 yards, and leading the nation with 45 touchdown passes (against just nine interceptions). Woodside's numbers took a step back in his final season as he threw for just 3,882 yards and 28 touchdowns with eight interceptions.

Draft Projection
Rounds 6-7
Overview
Woodside is an undersized quarterback with a very average arm who overcomes his deficiencies with good football intelligence and above average accuracy. His lack of size will be an immediate turn-off for most teams, but his competitive nature and ability to throw it where he wants to could give him an outside shot of finding work for a West Coast offense that values his accuracy and decision-making.
Strengths
  • Gritty and determined
  • Has been an underdog quarterback from high school to college
  • Naturally accurate on all three levels
  • Posted adjusted completion percentage (eliminates throws behind the line of scrimmage) of 65 percent with 73 touchdowns over last two seasons
  • Throws with necessary ball placement to pick at man coverage
  • Able to throw targets open
  • Good recognition of coverages and decision making is solid
  • Ball comes out on time and with some anticipation
  • Game against Miami wasn't too big for him
  • Gives his receivers a chance to make a play
  • Has adequate pocket awareness and mobility
Weaknesses
  • Falls well below NFL guidelines for size
  • Weighed just 206 pounds at NFLPA game
  • Big touchdown total from 2016 appears to be an outlier
  • Benefitted from offense designed to make deep safety a non-factor
  • Feasted on one-on-one downfield matchups
  • Long-strider in his delivery
  • Release features a small windup
  • Floats throws to field side
  • May not have the arm strength to make all the NFL throws
  • Struggled in postseason throwing three interceptions in his bowl game and just average week of NFLPA practices

FCHS standout, Toledo record-setter Woodside drafted by Cincinnati in NFL Draft

16.jpg

By State Journal Staff Report

Email the author

Published 3:36 pm Sunday, April 29, 2018

By Brian Rickerd

State Journal contributor

Logan Woodside admits it was far from easy to wait until the seventh round — the 249th pick overall — to see his name called by the Cincinnati Bengals in Saturday’s NFL Draft.

“Just throughout the day, seeing other quarterbacks (drafted) that I knew I was better than, it really upset me,” Woodside said Sunday after a good life got even better. “But I couldn’t control that, you know? When Cincinnati called, I was so excited to hear that my name was going to be called. Better late than never.”

Woodside said he watched the draft with family and friends in Lawrenceburg.

“It was an emotional day yesterday,” said Woodside, who set passing records at Franklin County High and the University of Toledo that may stand for generations.

“They were excited … everybody was excited, especially to hear it was Cincinnati,” Woodside said.

Woodside was referring to the proximity of Cincinnati to central Kentucky, of course, but many so-called experts without a personal interest in Woodside will tell you he couldn’t have landed in a better spot.

Woodside may not beat out longtime starter Andy Dalton in the near future, but he could be in the hunt for the backup quarterback spot right out of the gate, competing against Matt Barkley and Jeff Driskel.

The backup post opened up when AJ McCarron left Cincinnati after last season and signed with Buffalo.

“Barkley was signed in free agency, and Driskel has experience on the roster, but the Bengals don’t seem to be satisfied with either of those two as long-term backups,” writes Bengals’ reporter John Sheeran, of SBNation.

Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis told reporters after the draft that the Bengals considered trading up to make sure they got Woodside.

“I feel good about the guys we picked there at the end, because there was talk of moving up to make sure we got the quarterback,” Lewis said of Woodside. “(Bengals President) Mike Brown has that crystal ball, so we stayed right there and still picked him. It worked out well.”

Woodside put himself in the spot with a stellar college career at Toledo. He left the Rockets as the school’s all-time leading passer, throwing for 10,514 yards and 93 touchdowns, with a TD-to-interception ratio right around 4 to 1.

Woodside clearly created a buzz on the set of ESPN during an otherwise droll seventh round.

“I compare him to Case Keenum,” said ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper, referring to a guy who took the Minnesota Vikings within an eyelash of the Super Bowl this winter and will likely start in Denver this coming season.

“He (Woodside) is a timing, touch passer who can move around and has just has a lot of grit in his game,” Kiper added. “He understands the game, and he gets the most out of what he has. And, obviously, putting up numbers in that conference (Mid-American), with an offense that can score. And, he had an injury to one of this top receivers” this past season.

Kiper also cited Woodside’s accuracy. Woodside completed nearly 70 percent of his passes for the Rockets.

“You’re talking about a kid who throws the ball accurately, and who can expand the field enough,” Kiper said. “And he has just enough arm strength.”

“He’s a gym rat,” added Kiper’s ESPN draft sidekick Todd McShay. “His best take, I thought, was against Miami earlier this season. He played really well against a Miami Hurricane defense that gave a lot of teams trouble.”

All involved say Woodside benefitted from a Toledo offense that was high-octane, shotgun-oriented.

“It’s up tempo, it’s shotgun, but he goes through the full field progression,” McShay noted.

“Well, look,” ESPN Draft coverage host Trey Wingo said, “10,514 passing yards; the Rockets’ all-time leading passer, 93 touchdowns, a 4-1 touchdown to interception ratio … it may be the offense, but he ran that offense very, very, very well.”

“I really like this guy,” McShay said. “I think he’s got a chance to stick in the league. He doesn’t have the prototypical size — he’s only 6-foot-1, 213 pounds — but I wouldn’t bet against this guy hanging around for a few years.”

Woodside should also benefit from a Cincinnati offense that isn’t drastically different from what he saw in college. Working with a guy — Dalton — who has similar skills shouldn’t hurt, either.

“If by some chance Woodside becomes Dalton’s backup, the Bengals like how his play style mirrors Dalton and how that would keep the playbook and scheme the same if a Dalton injury should occur,” writes Sheeran. “The practice squad is definitely in play for Woodside, as he figures to have an uphill battle against veterans Barkley and Driskel, but he could still make some noise this August.”

Up first for Woodside is the Bengals’ mini-camp, starting on May 11.

“I’m in a good spot,” he said. “I’m ready to go and get after it.”

https://www.state-journal.com/2018/04/29/fchs-standout-toledo-record-setter-woodside-drafted-by-cincinnati-in-nfl-draft/

Archived