RD 7 - Bengals select ROD TAYLOR, G

6'3

320 lbs

The Rebels managed to keep Taylor in-state in 2014 in spite of his five-star, top 25 overall recruit status as a star lineman from Jackson. He started twice at right guard in 13 games as a true freshman, and repeated that feat in 10 games the following year while missing time with a shoulder injury. An ankle malady limited him to seven starts in nine games in 2016, where he took over for Laremy Tunsil at left tackle despite his short, stout build. Taylor was arrested for suspicion of shoplifting in April 2016, though it was reported he simply forgot about two bags of charcoal at the bottom of his shopping cart. He finally managed to stay healthy throughout the 2017 season, starting every game at right tackle.

Draft Projection
Round 7/PFA
Overview
Despite playing the last two seasons at tackle, Taylor lacks the size and length to continue on the outside. He has experience at guard which helps, but he'll need to play with quicker, more efficient hands as well as better leverage at the point of attack to play to an NFL level. If teams view Taylor as an emergency option at tackle, it should improve his chances of making a roster or a practice squad.
Strengths
  • Has starting experience at both tackle spots as well as right guard
  • Uses wide base and drives from his in-steps as run blocker
  • Possesses upper body strength to maul and move if it comes to it
  • Light on his feet
  • Has enough lateral quickness to race down the line and around the corner as pull blocker
  • Adequate movement skills climbing up to linebackers
  • Moves with tempo in pass slides while maintaining adequate balance
  • Hand strength to snatch and secure
Weaknesses
  • Not a self-motivator
  • Teammates have mentioned maturity issues in the past
  • Top-heavy build lacks desired leg thickness
  • Too much wasted motion with hands pre-punch
  • Hands land too far outside and he's usually second to the punch
  • Lack of length puts him into lunge mode in pass pro
  • Below average knee bend leads to below average leverage
  • Anchor is poor against bull-rush
  • Plays with head past his feet
  • Gets tilted off-balance within block engagement
  • Body control is an issue

13 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Thanks for answering his arm length question for me. When I played college football in the early ‘70s, I play defensive tackle. My arms are 37 inches long. I know the longer the arms are in length, the better separation between the person you are going up against. I was 6 foot 6 inches in college. Now, I’m only 6 foot 5 inches. (I don’t know where I lost my 1 inch?) There was a guard only 6 feet 1 inch in height on our team. He had arms as long as mine! They almost looked like they could touch his knees.  My biggest concern is Bill Price and his short arm length since he is a first round pick. 

Rick: I played in the earlier '70's also--at center. I don't know the conference you played in...but I don't ever recall being able to extend your arms/hands into a defender. That was a quick trip to Holdsville. You could push with your forearms, but everything else needed to be tight to the body. Like this:

?format=300w

Many centers have shorter arms, it's nothing to worry about. They are built like fire hydrants and aren't as tall (generally speaking) as their fellow olinemen, especially tackles. They have a low center of gravity that makes them ideal in the interior of the line. They can get lower on your pads than you can get on theirs. They are also prized for intelligence and leadership qualities, which Price seems to have a TON of.

He was a great pick, it's hard to see him failing at this level. Rick, quit worrying about fucking arms. He's a stud.

13 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Many centers have shorter arms, it's nothing to worry about. They are built like fire hydrants and aren't as tall (generally speaking) as their fellow olinemen, especially tackles. They have a low center of gravity that makes them ideal in the interior of the line. They can get lower on your pads than you can get on theirs. They are also prized for intelligence and leadership qualities, which Price seems to have a TON of.

He was a great pick, it's hard to see him failing at this level. Rick, quit worrying about fucking arms. He's a stud.

We should watch him block on an outside zone run first before we say that it will be difficult for him to fail. He’s going to have to get across the DT’s face. We’ll see if his arms and legs allow that to happen. 

1 hour ago, Bunghole said:

Okay, Bunghole. I’ll take your word and have a positive disposition going forward. 

58 minutes ago, Rick said:

Okay, Bunghole. I’ll take your word and have a positive disposition going forward. 

See how easy that was? Now repeat after me: "In my final will and testament, I solemnly swear to leave Bunghole all my worldly possessions, especially my collection of large human arms, all packed in vats filled with formaldehyde with an appropriate viewing and scientific measurement area, but also means of access to fondle the arms in a loving manner with the appropriate donning of Level 5 chemsuits. This is my final will, signed, Rick."

On 4/28/2018 at 7:34 PM, BlackJesus said:

Weaknesses
  • Not a self-motivator
  • Teammates have mentioned maturity issues in the past
  • Top-heavy build lacks desired leg thickness
  • Too much wasted motion with hands pre-punch
  • Hands land too far outside and he's usually second to the punch
  • Lack of length puts him into lunge mode in pass pro
  • Below average knee bend leads to below average leverage
  • Anchor is poor against bull-rush
  • Plays with head past his feet
  • Gets tilted off-balance within block engagement
  • Body control is an issue

Yep, Bengal material for sure.

And why is it every time I look at his picture I hear the phrase "Wha' chu' talkin'bout, Willis?" in my head?

Archived