Hobson: Competition opens on O-line

39 minutes ago, Jason said:

From what I saw of Fisher in college (which isn’t a ton, but I saw a few of his games) I think the change to Pollack will have a positive impact on his quality of play. 

I've been wondering about this. I feel like Fisher and Ogbuehi really can't perform any worse than they have so far, right? Is there any sliver of hope that one or both of them could actually improve? Is all hope lost on Cedric, or could a couple of years of NFL experience, new coach and new approach / attitude actually turn him into a capable lineman? (Same question for both Fisher and Ced.) Or ... are each of them destined for a role no better than average reserve at best?  I know none of us is looking through a crystal ball, but the optimist in me doesn't want to give up hope entirely on either one of these guys turning into something of value.

16 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Yes, he is.  The Bills let him go for a reason.  $11.5 mil for a dude that hasn't played a full season in years is hardly an endorsement.  All that means is we paid full price for a scratch & dent item.

I think everyone on the board knows about your feelings on Cordy Glenn as you have have been beating the drum for the last couple of months.  In your mind, he's basically already on IR.  From what I've read about his injury and surgery, the issue was bone spurs and the Bills misdiagnosed it originally.  Bone spurs aren't typically career ending injuries so I'm not buying the extreme pessimism.

23 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

So he played 13 games as a rookie, then 2013-2015 he played all 16 games 3 years in a row. Missed 5 games in 2016 and 10 in 2017, all of his games he's played in he's been the starter. Are the last two seasons some cause for concern? Sure. But like I said in an earlier thread, we're inheriting a pretty big contract with him, you don't think 'ol Musty didn't have his due diligence done when over over eleven million dollars are due to Glenn just this year alone? Remember, Mike Brown's money.

I'm sure he was healthy until game 11 or game 6 the last two years as well.  Repeated injuries are cause for concern, IDK how you can argue that.

Thing is, whether or not he has lingering foot problems isn't even the real issue.  I'm glad we brought him in. It wasn't a great draft for OT's and it's not my money they're betting on him. He could be 100% healthy, never been injured in his career, and trash his ankle stepping off a curb tomorrow.  Beyond that he plays one of the most physically demanding positions in ANY sport.  Are you really that happy about being one banana peel away from Ogbuehi at LT?  After what we saw last year?  It's insane to me that we'd still be counting on him as a back-up to anyone, let alone a guy who's undeniably had a hard time staying on the field lately.

Cedric Ogbuehi will cost us $1.6 mil this year.  Fisher $820k.  That is NOTHING.  

We will be bringing in more players to camp. Our new offensive line coach will get the final say.  If he deems them useless then expect an attempt to find other players.  If they or one is at least a capable backup then they stay one more year at a very cheap price.  

Plenty of time to dump either one.  What is unlikely is finding a veteran /starting quality tackle at a reasonable price before the season starts. That goes for the entire league.

10 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Cedric Ogbuehi will cost us $1.6 mil this year. That is NOTHING.  

Get what you pay for there.

11 minutes ago, SF2 said:

We will be bringing in more players to camp. Our new offensive line coach will get the final say.  If he deems them useless then expect an attempt to find other players.  If they or one is at least a capable backup then they stay one more year at a very cheap price.  

Plenty of time to dump either one.  What is unlikely is finding a veteran /starting quality tackle at a reasonable price before the season starts. That goes for the entire league.

That's true, which is why I was hoping we'd draft one with at least backup potential.  With any luck the depth chart will shake out before the real games start.

37 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Get what you pay for there.

That's true, which is why I was hoping we'd draft one with at least backup potential.  With any luck the depth chart will shake out before the real games start.

That's how rookie contracts work, designed to protect teams from busts and pay proven veterans more. Picking up his year 5 option would cost $9.6 million. He already got paid $8.7 mil in guaranteed money.

Yeah, I wish we had chosen1 tackle at some point early.  That is why I wanted Martinas Rankin. Played tackle and some center in college.

45 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

I also think people overstate how hurt he's really been. Here's NFL.com:                                                                                                                                                          G                                                                             

2017 Buffalo Bills 6 5

2016 Buffalo Bills 11 11

2015 Buffalo Bills 16 16

2014 Buffalo Bills 16 16

2013 Buffalo Bills 16 16

2012 Buffalo Bills 13 13

TOTAL 78 77

To me it's the fact this injury has taken almost 3 years to heal, if Glenn has had different injuries then it wouldn't be a big deal. 

As of today he's not healthy enough to play a game, I don't know about you but if it took someone almost 3 years and multiple surgeries to get healthy then I would not be too confident in their ability to become healthy. 

2 minutes ago, SF2 said:

That's how rookie contracts work, designed to protect teams from busts and pay proven veterans more. Picking up his year 5 option would cost $9.6 million.

Yeah, I wish we had gotten 1 tackle at some point early.  That is why I wanted Martinas Rankin. Played tackle and some center in college.

I think they see that Rod Taylor guy as a potential backup at multiple spots, but he was a 7th round pick of questionable maturity & the scouts say poor fundamentals to go with it.  Likely a PS guy this year at best, if he gets it together.

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

I think they see that Rod Taylor guy as a potential backup at multiple spots, but he was a 7th round pick of questionable maturity & the scouts say poor fundamentals to go with it.  Likely a PS guy this year at best, if he gets it together.

He's got really long arms so......

1 hour ago, Michigan Muskie said:

I've been wondering about this. I feel like Fisher and Ogbuehi really can't perform any worse than they have so far, right? Is there any sliver of hope that one or both of them could actually improve? Is all hope lost on Cedric, or could a couple of years of NFL experience, new coach and new approach / attitude actually turn him into a capable lineman? (Same question for both Fisher and Ced.) Or ... are each of them destined for a role no better than average reserve at best?  I know none of us is looking through a crystal ball, but the optimist in me doesn't want to give up hope entirely on either one of these guys turning into something of value.

Sure, especially now that our oline coach isn't a piano playing doughboy who's idea of "technique drills" is juggling jelly doughnouts while running the tires, or who thought Roland, Guy-check and Bodine were great players just stuffed with that ever-elusive offensive lineman fairy dust known as "technique".

5 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Sure, especially now that our oline coach isn't a piano playing doughboy who's idea of "technique drills" is juggling jelly doughnouts while running the tires, or who thought Roland, Guy-check and Bodine were great players just stuffed with that ever-elusive offensive lineman fairy dust known as "technique".

I'm sure their technique was excellent.  What they lacked was ability.

Shit... with the way some of you are acting, we may as well just forfeit our games right now because of the O-line.

I understand the in-bred because we've been fucked to often line of thinking, but you guys are jumping the shark when we're still 1,000 miles away from the ocean.

18 minutes ago, USN Bengal said:

Shit... with the way some of you are acting, we may as well just forfeit our games right now because of the O-line.

I understand the in-bred because we've been fucked to often line of thinking, but you guys are jumping the shark when we're still 1,000 miles away from the ocean.

So who can we get with the first pick in the 2019 draft?

:ninja:

1 hour ago, USN Bengal said:

If you want to act like the last two seasons haven't been completely torpedoed because of gawd awful o-line play than be my guest, but that is not the truth.

Adding a guy who admitted to quitting on his old team, a guy who has been dealing with an ankle/foot injury for 3 years, and a rookie doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies. I will definitely say that Price over Bodine is a plus and if Glenn can actually play he will be an upgrade over whomever the Bengals have put at LT. However, have the Bengals done enough to turn this unit around is a huge question and not adding more talent at the tackle position is a head scratching move. 

6 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

If you want to act like the last two seasons haven't been completely torpedoed because of gawd awful o-line play than be my guest, but that is not the truth.

Adding a guy who admitted to quitting on his old team, a guy who has been dealing with an ankle/foot injury for 3 years, and a rookie doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies. I will definitely say that Price over Bodine is a plus and if Glenn can actually play he will be an upgrade over whomever the Bengals have put at LT. However, have the Bengals done enough to turn this unit around is a huge question and not adding more talent at the tackle position is a head scratching move. 

Who is acting like the last two seasons haven't been completely torpedoed by our shit O-Line?

Not any one I've seen posting here, so why does it have to be all or nothing?

Some very good valid points have been made in regards to our O-Line, the new coach possibly getting something from Fisher/Ogbuehi/Hart, and to put the final point on this for me...

Pollack is a proven successful O-Line coach, they just went through the draft and I damn sure think that if he wanted an O-Lineman he would've fought for it and got them.

Yes, we ALL want to see the joke that we've had as an O-line fixed... and since our coach is no longer named Alexander, let's trust the NFL mind that is Pollack to make silk out of the pigs ears.

23 minutes ago, USN Bengal said:

Who is acting like the last two seasons haven't been completely torpedoed by our shit O-Line?

Who is acting like "we may as well just forfeit our games right now because of the O-line" ?

A: Nobody.

Hyperbole begets more hyperbole :shrug:

:rabbitwithapancakeonitshead: 

6 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Who is acting like "we may as well just forfeit our games right now because of the O-line" ?

A: Nobody.

Hyperbole begets more hyperbole :shrug:

:rabbitwithapancakeonitshead: 

The negative Nancy's who have been posting, you know, the no NFL experience experts who say that everything is shit, it was always shit, they haven't seen anything to be positive, they think we should've drafted the mascot from Fuck U. because he once played tackle football at his parochial school because they know better than our scouts, coaches...

Just those guys...

:363:

33 minutes ago, USN Bengal said:

The negative Nancy's who have been posting, you know, the no NFL experience experts who say that everything is shit, it was always shit, they haven't seen anything to be positive, they think we should've drafted the mascot from Fuck U. because he once played tackle football at his parochial school because they know better than our scouts, coaches...

Just those guys...

:363:

So in other words, nobody.

Archived