Slants and screens: Original Gio welcomes Walton; Boling centers the pick

Slants and screens: Original Gio welcomes Walton; Boling centers the pick

Posted 3 hours ago

hobson60x60.jpgGeoff HobsonEditorBengals.comFollow Me Blog

122417-benard-giovani-art.jpg

The Gio Original.

Eric Ball, the Bengals director of player relations, went to two of his go-to-guys Saturday night when he hosted a welcome dinner for three draft picks at The Precinct.

They don’t come any classier than running back Giovani Bernard and right end Michael Johnsonand so there’s no better way to give Jessie Bates III, Sam Hubbard, and Malik Jefferson a first impression of the locker room.
“It’s always cool to meet those guys before (football starts),” Bernard said Monday as the Bengals began their third week of voluntary workouts. “It’s a small world.”

It turned out that Hubbard and Bernard had plenty to talk about because of a few mutual friends.  Two of Hubbard’s Ohio State teammates, Joey and Nick Bosa, went to Bernard’ s high school, St. Thomas Aquinas, in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.  …

_The 5-9, 205-pound Bernard smiled when asked about the drafting of the “Gio Clone,” Miami running back Mark Walton, a 5-9, 200-pound mighty mite type of back that, like Bernard, is a beast in the pass game and a nightmare in the open field.  That didn’t stop Bernard from tweeting him a welcome.

(Just so you know, Bernard has three years left on his deal, is one of their more solid guys in the locker room and on the field and is going nowhere.)

“I don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing,” Bernard said of the clone thing. “At the end of the day it’s getting guys and filling the room with depth.

“There’s two sides to this. You want to welcome everybody and the other side is it’s a business. I try to be a professional in both areas and that’s what I’m about. I’ve always been that kind of guy. Obviously I want to welcome him here with open arms, but when he gets here it’s time to roll. We’re all fighting for something and competition usually brings out the best in everybody and I hope that’s what we do.” …

Bernard doesn’t even play offensive line and he can see the difference brought to the table by new offensive line coach Frank Pollack after Paul Alexander served for 24 years.

“Seeing Frank in the meeting room, you knew once he stepped up there it was a change,” Bernard said. Completely opposite ends of the spectrum with Paul. “That’s not a good thing or a bad thing, it’s just a different feel. You can understand that they want to change the mentality of the offensive line as well as the running backs.

“He’s just the opposite of Paul,” Bernard said. “A little bit more vocal. I’m not saying that Paul was never vocal. (Pollack) is just a more in-your-face kind of guy. Whether that’s a good thing or bad thing, it doesn’t really matter. It’s just a different type of feel.” …

Left guard Clint Boling wasn’t surprised with the first-round selection of Ohio State centerBilly Price, tracking to be the Opening Day starter.

“It was somebody that we needed and at the same time he’s a good player,” Boling said. “Obviously there’s a hole there and we’ve got some spots and some competition up front on the offensive line and that obviously helps fill that.”

14 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Damn, stop dancing around the Alexander thing.  He's gone for a reason and it's obviously a good thing.  They know it, we know it; quit trying to polish the turd and flush.  

What good would it do for Gio or any player to bash a former coach publicly? 

5 hours ago, Hooky said:

What good would it do for Gio or any player to bash a former coach publicly? 

There's a lot of room between bashing him publicly and this ongoing effort to reassure everyone of how equally good he is any time Pollack is mentioned.  Seems obvious to me they've been directed to "Redeem" Alexander when discussing the OL.  He's been gone for months, we've a new OL coach with a fresh group of players.  Alexander landed on his feet with "America's Team" so no injury there.  

How hard would it be to simply not talk about him? He personally built, coached, & fielded the worst OL in the league last year. Why are they trying to convince everyone they let him walk after 25 years for no reason? Take responsibility for doing something that should've been done a lot sooner and move on.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

There's a lot of room between bashing him publicly and this ongoing effort to reassure everyone of how equally good he is any time Pollack is mentioned.  Seems obvious to me they've been directed to "Redeem" Alexander when discussing the OL.  He's been gone for months, we've a new OL coach with a fresh group of players.  Alexander landed on his feet with "America's Team" so no injury there.  

How hard would it be to simply not talk about him? He personally built, coached, & fielded the worst OL in the league last year. Why are they trying to convince everyone they let him walk after 25 years for no reason? Take responsibility for doing something that should've been done a lot sooner and move on.

Or maybe, after working in the building with a coach, you maybe develop some respect for him, and actually just see it as style differences.  We have all worked with different kinds of bosses.  My guess is that he didn't get to work there for 25 years, and get immediately hired by another team because he sucks as bad as you want to act.  

On 4/30/2018 at 7:19 PM, T-Dub said:

Damn, stop dancing around the Alexander thing.  He's gone for a reason and it's obviously a good thing.  They know it, we know it; quit trying to polish the turd and flush.  

I am just glad Bodine and PA are no longer a part of the team.  Gio should have just said Pollack is bringing a new attitude and approach to the job and left it at that.  I believe him when he says you can see the difference between the two but there's no need to compliment both guys.  Fuck lardass Alexander.  Good riddance.

3 hours ago, kennethmw said:

Or maybe, after working in the building with a coach, you maybe develop some respect for him, and actually just see it as style differences.  We have all worked with different kinds of bosses.  My guess is that he didn't get to work there for 25 years, and get immediately hired by another team because he sucks as bad as you want to act.  

Fine, great.  If that's the case there's even less reason to keep fluffing him all offseason.  Let his amazing track record speak for itself. 

Archived