Bengals won’t pick up Cedric Ogbuehi’s 5th year option

Bengals won’t pick up Cedric Ogbuehi’s option

Posted by Josh Alper on May 2, 2018, 1:35 PM EDT
gettyimages-636822072-e1525282510735.jpg
Getty Images

Teams need to make decisions on whether to exercise fifth-year options on 2015 first-round draft picks before Thursday and Bengals tackle Cedric Ogbuehiwon’t be getting his picked up.

Mike Garafolo of NFL Network reports that the Bengals have opted not to go that route. The option, which is guaranteed for injury only, would set Ogbuehi up to make $9.625 million for the 2019 season.

Ogbuehi was the 21st overall pick in the 2015 draft and rode the bench as a rookie before taking over at right tackle in 2016. He started 12 games and ended the year on injured reserve with a shoulder injury. He moved to the left side last year after Andrew Whitworth left as a free agent, but his play on both sides did little to suggest he’s a long-term answer.

If that should change this season, Ogbuehi will hit the open market next March with a shot to land a longer and/or more lucrative contract but will need to winning a starting job before that’s something to think about.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/02/bengals-wont-pick-up-cedric-ogbuehis-option/

there's bound to be some halfway decent vets available once teams start cutting down, so hopefully he doesn't even make the team....jettison his ass, tell him to go seek life's work on someone else's dime..........like Dallas. 

1 minute ago, spicoli said:

there's bound to be some decent vets available once teams start cutting down, so hopefully he doesn't even make the team....jettison his ass, tell him to go seek life's work on someone else's dime..........like Dallas'. 

Glenn's not better though, he just has a different style is all.  They're aren't firing him, they are only "making a change."   This way Mikey gets to keep all of his Good Boy Points.

14 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Glenn's not better though, he just has a different style is all.  They're aren't firing him, they are only "making a change."   This way Mikey gets to keep all of his Good Boy Points.

If Glenn is healthy, Glenn is far and away better.

But then that's the question isn't it?

6 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

If Glenn is healthy, Glenn is far and away better.

But then that's the question isn't it?

No no, he's just different. Glenn is more of a blocker, and does more offensive lineman-type things. It's two different styles, but they aren't saying one is better or worse than the other.  Ogbuehi is well-respected around the league.

:ninja:

Just now, T-Dub said:

No no, he's just different. Glenn is more of a blocker, and does more offensive lineman-type things. It's two different styles, but they aren't saying one is better or worse than the other.  Ogbuehi is well-respected around the league.

:lol:

You joke but I was once in a meeting where the boss said "different levels of success"

14 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

:lol:

You joke but I was once in a meeting where the boss said "different levels of success"

I guess I can kind of understand that?  Like I could win $5 on a scratch off, or I could win $50.  Or I could not buy scratch-offs at all. 

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

I guess I can kind of understand that?  Like I could win $5 on a scratch off, or I could win $50.  Or I could not buy scratch-offs at all. 

You can't win if you don't play.

• 1 month later...

Picking this thread to bump. It sounds like maybe, just maybe, Ogbuehi is finally getting some coaching. And initial signs are he is responding positively to it?

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/6/7/17434272/cedric-ogbuehi-making-big-strides-with-frank-pollacks-help-bengals-offensive-line

But according to a source, Ogbuehi has been starting to look like a developed player, “all because of offensive line coach Frank Pollack.”

Ogbuehi has been practicing at both left and right tackle and while he’s not slated to be a starter at any spot on the Bengals’ offensive line right now, he could work himself into that discussion if he continues playing like he has been in pad-less practices. 

“I’ve never seen him doing some of the things he’s doing. He looks powerful and under control,” the source said.

Ogbuehi is now in a contract year after the Bengals failed to pick up his fifth year option, so while it’s easy to assume he’s now being motivated by money, it also could be the new Bengals’ new offensive line coach at work.

“He’s getting coached.”

That would be absolutely boss if Pollack can help salvage Ogbuehi into something useful. I had completely written him off, as, I am sure, most everyone has. If Pollack can make him into something, then that is yet one more brick in the eternal FUCK YOU Paul Alexander wall...

30 minutes ago, membengal said:

That would be absolutely boss if Pollack can help salvage Ogbuehi into something useful. I had completely written him off, as, I am sure, most everyone has. If Pollack can make him into something, then that is yet one more brick in the eternal FUCK YOU Paul Alexander wall...

That would be fantastic if he could obviously. The only downside would probably be that he would out price himself, and Cincy wouldn't be able to resign him.

Archived