Eric Reid files collusion grievance against the NFL

oldschooler

24 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Yeah, 3 pages ago. That would be great for the team if he won.

Well, considering the Bengals were the only team he met with, they made it an issue and he left

I pretty much saw this coming when this was filed.

And yes it would be great for the team, and the NFL. 

11 hours ago, Bunghole said:

Why do you think it would be good for the team if Reid won his case? 

Good question.  It won't be good for the team or NFL if Reid wins. 

The real question is do the Bengals deserve to lose this case.  For my point of view, there is nothing in the NFL or corporate America for that matter than demands you hire anyone.  I have to think the Bengals can have it in their contracts that as soon as you step on the field, you represent the team and here is what we expect of you.  It is a team sport, not an individual one.  If a coach can tell you what to do during warm ups, they can certainly tell you what to do during the Anthem I would think.  You are at work.  If you want to take or knee or sit on your on dime so be it.   If you state clearly that you will do whatever you want during the Anthem while in a Bengals uniform, Mike Brown has every right NOT TO HIRE YOU.

Yes, totally understand the Pac Man and Mixon hypocrisy angle.  That is why Mike Brown looks foolish doing the things he does. 

On 5/4/2018 at 1:21 PM, Bunghole said:

Seriously though, how can he and his lawyer(s) allege collusion amongst the entirety of the NFL when all he can say is "The 49ers didn't want me, and neither did the Bengals". That's TWO teams out of 32! How is that even remotely construed as collusion? If he were Kaepernick and had been trying to get a job for a couple years now then maybe he'd have something. But that's not the case here.

Actually, his case is even stronger if no one has had him in for a tryout.

Your point is more "How can that woman say we didn't hire her when we refused to even interview her in favor of 4 other less qualified men!"

Yes, the Bengals (laff, laff) were the only team who would even have him in for a tryout. It's like saying that Apple, Google, and Microsoft all refused to interview you but AOL was willing to have you come in...

15 hours ago, Bunghole said:

I don't think it's good or bad for the team if Reid wins. He's suing the NFL, not Mike Brown. Heck, maybe if he sued Mike Brown he'd get so much money that Mikey would be forced to sell the team to a REAL owner.

Reverse question - Who is it good for if Reid loses his case? The average fan? Or a bunch of Billionaires? I mean... Poor Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones... 

7 hours ago, SF2 said:

For my point of view, there is nothing in the NFL or corporate America for that matter than demands you hire anyone.

So, if you had a job refuse to hire you because they demand that you join the Klan, you'd be OK with that? If they were the ONLY employer for your skill set? What if they demanded that you join BLM?

And yeah, we do have discrimination laws that says there are reasons you can't refuse to hire someone.

Furthermore this is between the players union and the employer.

14 minutes ago, schotzee said:

That's a bullshit story that they didn't sign him because he wouldn't answer the question of whether he would kneel or not.  I heard they wouldn't sign him bc his arms are too damn long for team standards.:ninja:

:24:

21 hours ago, Bunghole said:

Because then the NFL would have to shit or get off the fucking pot.

Either everyone has to stand, teams keep their players in for the anthem or kneeling is no big deal.

Right now they're all of the above until players that kneel become Free Agents. Then no one wants to sign them.

They sent a mixed message when Trump called the players Sons of Bitches and even owners protested with them.

And then you have some owners than flat out won't sign players that might kneel. 

So if he wins, they'll actually do something to address it league wide.

Instead of letting owners decide if that alone is a deal breaker, like Mike Brown did.

7 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Well, clicking on that link is pretty enlightening. So obviously the team being mentioned here is the Bengals, and they have violated league policy WRT this issue. Looks pretty cut and dry to me. I said at the time that not signing a good FA in an area of need based on politics was a bad idea. The Bengals could have offered him a deal, and if he signed it, then they could have dealt with this as it cropped up, and in-house. Now we're the poster children for intolerance, which is ironic giving all the redeemin' that's going on here.

"The NFLPA has filed a non-injury grievance and a system arbitrator case on behalf of free agent safety Eric Reid.  Prior to the start of the current NFL off-season, our Union directed the agents of free agent players who had participated in peaceful on-field demonstrations to collect, memorialize and report any relevant information about potential violations of the Collective Bargaining Agreement by teams. These cases were filed based upon the following:

- There is no League rule that prohibits players from demonstrating during the national anthem.

- The NFL has made it clear both publicly and to the NFLPA that they would respect the rights of players to demonstrate. 

- The Collective Bargaining Agreement definitively states that League (NFL) rules supersede anyconflicting club rules.

- According to our information, a club appears to have based its decision not to sign a playerbased on the player’s statement that he would challenge the implementation of a club’s policy prohibiting demonstration, which is contrary to the League policy.

- At least one club owner has asked preemployment interview questions about a player's intent to demonstrate. We believe these questions are improper, given League policy.

Our Union continues to monitor these developments."

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/05/07/nflpa-files-grievance-over-eric-reid-who-visited-bengals/586809002/

1 hour ago, oldschooler said:

Because then the NFL would have to shit or get off the fucking pot.

Either everyone has to stand, teams keep their players in for the anthem or kneeling is no big deal.

Right now their all of the above until players that kneel become Free Agents. Then no one wants to sign them.

They sent a mixed message when Trump called the players Sons of Bitches and even owners protested with them.

And then you have some owners than flat out won't sign players that might kneel. 

So if he wins, they'll actually do something to address it league wide.

Instead of letting owners decide if that alone is a deal breaker, like Mike Brown did.

You're forgetting about the key factor. The fans. It's not because every owner is racist, it's because of the impact that it's having on their bottom line. The fan base is the element that the league and owners have no control over. Since the protests were having a major impact on the revenue, the league and owners had to do something. Regardless of how many tweeters, bloggers, posters question the boycotters' decision and bash them, they're not going to change the fans' minds. And neither are the owners. 

57 minutes ago, Hooky said:

You're forgetting about the key factor. The fans. It's not because every owner is racist, it's because of the impact that it's having on their bottom line. The fan base is the element that the league and owners have no control over. Since the protests were having a major impact on the revenue, the league and owners had to do something. Regardless of how many tweeters, bloggers, posters question the boycotters' decision and bash them, they're not going to change the fans' minds. And neither are the owners. 

You do realize that even with all the bitching by folks and all of the boycotting, the NFL increased their revenue last year by almost a Billion Dollars over '16. What a major impact on revenue, amirite?

:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

There was no major impact on revenue. Hell. there wasn't even a minor impact.

The NFL made $12 billion in 2016. $14 billion in 2017.

And they're on track to make $25 billion by 2027. 

Even though ratings were down a little, the NFL is still pretty much the highest rated on TV.

The NFL has done nothing but collude and give some players great grievance cases.

How about the actually address the issue? Either make everyone stand, make no one stand or make kneeling a non-issue.

If you quit watching football because of what some guys do silently for 2 and a half minutes before the game,
you're not much a fan anyway in my opinion. And you're also missing the point. 

35 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

There was no major impact on revenue. Hell. there wasn't even a minor impact.

The NFL made $12 billion in 2016. $14 billion in 2017.

And they're on track to make $25 billion by 2027. 

Even though ratings were down a little, the NFL is still pretty much the highest rated on TV.

The NFL has done nothing but collude and give some players great grievance cases.

How about the actually address the issue? Either make everyone stand, make no one stand or make kneeling a non-issue.

If you quit watching football because of what some guys do silently for 2 and a half minutes before the game,
you're not much a fan anyway in my opinion. And you're also missing the point. 

Sure, when you say it like it's just a random 2 and a half minutes to spin your argument. People are offended whether you think they should be or not. You don't understand it, but you don't have to. You're not an owner.

6 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

So, if you had a job refuse to hire you because they demand that you join the Klan, you'd be OK with that? If they were the ONLY employer for your skill set? What if they demanded that you join BLM?

And yeah, we do have discrimination laws that says there are reasons you can't refuse to hire someone.

Furthermore this is between the players union and the employer.

Dumbest fucking analogy ever.  Join the Klan, burn some Crosses, maybe murder some uppity blacks vs Stand for 1 minute and honor those who fought this nation before a football game.

It must suck to hate white people so much.

8 hours ago, SF2 said:

Dumbest fucking analogy ever.  Join the Klan, burn some Crosses, maybe murder some uppity blacks vs Stand for 1 minute and honor those who fought this nation before a football game.

Fuck you, white Devil!

8 hours ago, SF2 said:

Nobody hates white people, we hate the stupid shit you spout.  Standing for an anthem doesn't honor those who fought for this nation(which is what I think you meant in that garbled mess you wrote).  Show your Honor by forcing your politicians to feed and house the ones that are homeless, to Treat the ones that have PTSD, to get the VA working right and not privatize it, and to Quit letting them go to fucking war in the First DAMN PLACE to Help pad the pockets of the Military Complex.  And by the way, Tell Cops to stop acting like EVERY FRIGGIN BLACK MAN IS FRIGGIN FREDDY KRUEGER and they can say they were afraid for their life when they stop them and execute them for ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT REASONS.

10 hours ago, Hooky said:

Sure, when you say it like it's just a random 2 and a half minutes to spin your argument. People are offended whether you think they should be or not. You don't understand it, but you don't have to. You're not an owner.

Did you just assume I'm not an owner?!!! I'm offended!!!111

Of course I realize some people are offended. But you're right, I don't think they should be.

And you're wrong. I do understand it. You act like I live in a fucking bubble. I don't.

My point is this, I agree with the players right to protest and their cause.

But if the NFL made a rule saying All players must stand during the anthem,

I will not be offended. What pisses me off right now is you have the league trying to play

both sides of the fence and some owners like our beloved Mike Brown acting like if a player kneels

that is going to keep us from winning football games. Newsflash: Every Bengals player and coach

could kneel during the anthem, but if they win a Super Bowl, do you really think anyone that is

a true fan is going to give a fuck that they knelt? Yeah, me neither. Like Paul Brown said, Winning makes believers of us all.

36 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Did you just assume I'm not an owner?!!! I'm offended!!!111

Of course I realize some people are offended. But you're right, I don't think they should be.

And you're wrong. I do understand it. You act like I live in a fucking bubble. I don't.

My point is this, I agree with the players right to protest and their cause.

But if the NFL made a rule saying All players must stand during the anthem,

I will not be offended. What pisses me off right now is you have the league trying to play

both sides of the fence and some owners like our beloved Mike Brown acting like if a player kneels

that is going to keep us from winning football games. Newsflash: Every Bengals player and coach

could kneel during the anthem, but if they win a Super Bowl, do you really think anyone that is

a true fan is going to give a fuck that they knelt? Yeah, me neither. Like Paul Brown said, Winning makes believers of us all.

Wasn't there originally a rule that they had to stand that was waived off after the protests started? I'm not arguing that there was. I'm not sure, but I thought there was.

As far as Mike Brown, I don't think that he's stupid enough to think that a player kneeling has anything to do with their performance on the field. I don't know why he has a policy that players should stand, but all teams have some policies that are not football related. 

You continue to discredit the boycotters as not being true fans before they started boycotting. It's called a sacrifice. They decided their values are more important than their love of football. So the people that stopped watching probably don't give a shit about the Super Bowl. It's not the most important thing in their life, unlike for some fans.

10 hours ago, SF2 said:

Nah, while being a tad extreme, the analogy is apt, and appropriately in line with what’s being discussed.

Archived