Eric Reid files collusion grievance against the NFL

oldschooler

13 hours ago, kennethmw said:

You do realize that even with all the bitching by folks and all of the boycotting, the NFL increased their revenue last year by almost a Billion Dollars over '16. What a major impact on revenue, amirite?

:rolleyes:

Link?

9 hours ago, Hooky said:

Wasn't there originally a rule that they had to stand that was waived off after the protests started? I'm not arguing that there was. I'm not sure, but I thought there was.

As far as Mike Brown, I don't think that he's stupid enough to think that a player kneeling has anything to do with their performance on the field. I don't know why he has a policy that players should stand, but all teams have some policies that are not football related. 

You continue to discredit the boycotters as not being true fans before they started boycotting. It's called a sacrifice. They decided their values are more important than their love of football. So the people that stopped watching probably don't give a shit about the Super Bowl. It's not the most important thing in their life, unlike for some fans.

SNOPES: Are NFL Players Required to Stand on the Field During the National Anthem? *SPOILER ALERT* No

You're right, I do continue to discredit the boycotters as true fans. It's America, so sure they can boycott or do whatever.

But it's also America, those players can protest peacefully and it shouldn't "offend" anyone. Because, it's America.

Their values? Is racism a real thing that some people have to live with everyday in this country? Are unarmed blacks more than likely to be killed

by a cop than unarmed whites? The answers are yes. So where are their patriotic values when it comes to fellow Americans being

treated like second class citizens and killed for being black? You're right the NFL isn't the most important thing in life. And to some people

that will feign outrage while ignoring real life problems and issues and use it as a means to get second class citizens to step back in line,

tells me they aren't really fans to begin with if peaceful protest over real life issues is a deal breaker for them to enjoy a means of entertainment.

23 hours ago, oldschooler said:

SNOPES: Are NFL Players Required to Stand on the Field During the National Anthem? *SPOILER ALERT* No

You're right, I do continue to discredit the boycotters as true fans. It's America, so sure they can boycott or do whatever.

But it's also America, those players can protest peacefully and it shouldn't "offend" anyone. Because, it's America.

Their values? Is racism a real thing that some people have to live with everyday in this country? Are unarmed blacks more than likely to be killed

by a cop than unarmed whites? The answers are yes. So where are their patriotic values when it comes to fellow Americans being

treated like second class citizens and killed for being black? You're right the NFL isn't the most important thing in life. And to some people

that will feign outrage while ignoring real life problems and issues and use it as a means to get second class citizens to step back in line,

tells me they aren't really fans to begin with if peaceful protest over real life issues is a deal breaker for them to enjoy a means of entertainment.

The boycotters are protesting peacefully. It shouldn't offend anybody. They definitely shouldn'r be assumed to be racist. You don't know how they feel about the cop shootings. Boycotting because players are choosing during the anthem of all times to do their protest doesn't mean they're against them protesting at all. It's really not that hard to figure out. But feel free to assume that they're all racist even though some of them may be black, they all voted for Trump and they're the enemy because you disagree with them. It's amazing how you know so much about a large group of people. It's called a stereotype, which you're probably against in some cases. This is my last post in this thread since I know exactly what you're going to say and get called a racist for seeing both sides.

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

The boycotters are protesting peacefully. It shouldn't offend anybody.

It doesn't offend me at all. I seriously could not care less if someone wants to boycott anything.

I'm only pissed because our owner says "we're in win now mode" but then acts like this is a deal breaker.

And especially considering all the other off the field shit he has overlooked in the past, I just think it's very hypocritical and downright asinine.

Plus the NFL is sending mixed messages left and right. They can kneel. They kneel with them  when they're call Sons of Bitches.

But as soon as they're Free Agents they're treated worse than players accused of domestic violence, rape and murder.

Where were all the boycotts over that shit? But let black players kneel during the anthem and OMFG WTF BBQ!!!!

Anyway, you said the boycotters are protesting peacefully and it shouldn't offend anybody.

But when the players protest peacefully, why is it OK for people to be offended? 

The majority of those offended are all about "The constitution and our rights!"

But then want to shit all over people expressing their 1st amendment rights.

They definitely shouldn'r be assumed to be racist. You don't know how they feel about the cop shootings. Boycotting because players are choosing during the anthem of all times to do their protest doesn't mean they're against them protesting at all. It's really not that hard to figure out. But feel free to assume that they're all racist even though some of them may be black, they all voted for Trump and they're the enemy because you disagree with them.It's amazing how you know so much about a large group of people. It's called a stereotype, which you're probably against in some cases. This is my last post in this thread since I know exactly what you're going to say and get called a racist for seeing both sides.

Wait...wait. WAIT! Back the fuck up. You will not put words in my mouth.

I don't look at fellow Americans and especially Bengals fans as my enemy.

I can disagree with you on some very sensitive subjects and still love you like

a brother. I have family and friends that I disagree with on subjects,

they are not my enemies. The only person that has the exact same views 

on everything as me is me. I am not too fucking unbearably arrogant to

think just because someone doesn't see it my way that they're stupid,

racist or my enemy. So please get that shit clear now. Thanks.

I don't think all are racist. Where in the fuck have I called all racist?

I even said not all people that support Trump are racist. But god dammit it sure in the

fuck is not a deal breaker. I had a very racist father. I KNOW what it looks like.

I know the whole reason Trump is even President is because of a white lash

from a black guy becoming President. Motherfuckers lost their goddamned minds.

Trump tried to degrade and diminish Obama with the whole birther movement.

That is where his run for the Presidency started. 

The players are protesting racism in a country that was built on racism.

So of course there is going to be people that make it about them protesting.

No matter how they protest, they will be doing it wrong in a lot of eyes.

If you can not see that you're willfully ignorant and blind. 

Now does that mean ALL are doing that? Hell no. I genuinely believe some

are offended because of the flag and anthem. But again, I think those people

should take a moment to put their feelings aside and try to understand why.

You might be able to boycott away players kneeling. But the disease of 

racism will still be eating away at our country. All I have been saying is 

I wish people would address the REAL issues behind these protest.

But the NFL has made this shit storm. And they have done nothing

to try and fix it.They have only made it worse. So yes, I hope Reid

wins his case and shit is fixed one way or another on kneeling.

And I hope we Americans can come together and work on this

racism bullshit we have going on here in our country that isn't 

getting any better.

I hope I have made my stance and self clear. 

Peace and Who-Dey

Angst over Colin Kaepernick, player protests will be washed away as Supreme Court ruling on sports gambling takes root

Yahoo Sports Dan Wetzel,Yahoo Sports 4 hours ago 

The NFL’s Colin Kaepernick problem? It’s over, at least in terms of the business of football.

Kaepernick, and player protests, remains a hot-button issue for the league to sort out. Whatever slump the NFL suffered from backlash over Kaepernick in 2016 sitting and then later taking a knee during the national anthem to protest inequality will likely be a blip compared to the coming wave of legalized sports wagering revenue and interest. And, really, when is the NFL ever about anything but revenue?

The gold rush is on for the NFL after Monday’s 6-3 ruling by the United States Supreme Court to strike down the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA), which for 25 years has essentially limited sports betting to Nevada.

Industry experts are unanimous in their predictions. Higher revenue. Higher television ratings. Higher engagement with fans. Higher advertising and sponsorship deals.

Higher everything.

Colin Kaepernick remains a lightning rod for the NFL. (Getty Images)

Colin Kaepernick remains a lightning rod for the NFL. (Getty Images)

For the NFL, which experienced a multi-decade boom until a softening of popularity in recent years, the good times are back.

Some of that “slump” was overstated. The NFL overwhelmingly remained the most popular sports or entertainment property in the United States. Media executives said lower television ratings were often misrepresented, used out of context or ignored technology advances.

NBC president Mark Lazarus said that when streaming and mobile viewership were factored into the linear Nielsen ratings, viewership in 2017 was actually up.

“I think more people are consuming football content,” Lazarus said. 

Still, it was enough to rattle owners who didn’t want to see any dips, let alone contentious relations with fans who found the player protests as disconcerting.

Worse, the league had allowed itself to become fodder for President Donald Trump to fire up his political base. Last September, even as player protests had dwindled to just over a dozen individual cases a week, he enflamed the issues again by calling any player who protested a “son of a bitch.”

The league has struggled to juggle the issues ever since. It has complained privately about Trump.  It has met with players and pledged money to aid their social issue movements. It also left Kaepernick unemployed and are now dealing with litigation from the former San Francisco quarterback and current free agent Eric Reid.

The issue was considered central to the upcoming owners meeting.

Now? The league has money to make and so much of it that whatever remains of the protests against the league is likely to fade or be completely meaningless. Sorting out this gambling thing is about all these billionaires are going to care about.

“I think everyone who owns a top four professional sports team just saw the value of their team double,” Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban told CNBC Monday morning.

That’s especially true for the NFL, which is America’s No. 1 sports wagering category, according to the American Gaming Association. The NFL will fight for a cut of all wagering done on its games. The NBA has already proposed a 1 percent share. That is to be negotiated but represents a potential tidal wave of money.

The Supreme Court ruled that states can decide the legality of sports gambling. (AP) The Supreme Court ruled that states can decide the legality of sports gambling. (AP)

A 2015 study by the AGA said NFL gamblers represented just 25 percent of all NFL fans, yet 47 percent of all the minutes of NFL football broadcast. They also watched 19 additional games. The AGA predicts once legal, sports bettors will increase to 50 percent of the viewing audience.

Clearly ratings aren’t going to be a concern. It’s one reason Fox Sports agreed in January to a five-year, $3 billion deal to broadcast a mere 11 Thursday Night games per season despite ratings on that night being down of late. That was a 33.3 percent increase in rights fees ($60 million per game from $45 million).

And that was when the Supreme Court was just “expected” to rule against a PASPA lawsuit brought by former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.

Further, in-game mobile wagering will keep audiences engaged even during blowouts and add steroids to that equation because gamblers increasingly will be focused on more than just the spread or the over/under.

There is additional revenue coming in advertising and marketing deals from sports wagering companies that are trying to claim market share – by comparison, in England, some 50 different wagering companies have deals with professional soccer clubs.

Proprietary NFL data and advanced analytics now have increased value. NFL media properties that discuss the NFL should see a boost – gamblers are heavy consumers of all related media.

There isn’t a category of the NFL’s business this won’t touch – even as the league opposed sports wagering all these years and was a defendant in the Christie lawsuit.

No matter. Maybe they lucked into it. Maybe they knew all along. Whatever it is, the bump that’s coming will overwhelm whatever dip there is.

There is no question that some people tuned out the NFL after the player protests. And there are others that tuned out because Kaepernick lost his job. While many have undoubtedly come back, there are some who never will. For a stretch there, they were a thorn in the mighty NFL’s side.

In many ways, they still are. The issue is real and raw, and remains important, just not to the bottom line.

That’s the only score, however, the NFL really cares about. In the business of league business, everything changed Monday.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/angst-colin-kaepernick-player-protests-will-washed-away-supreme-court-ruling-sports-gambling-takes-root-205116911.html

13 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Industry experts are unanimous in their predictions. Higher revenue. Higher television ratings. Higher engagement with fans. Higher advertising and sponsorship deals.

Well, thank god they're still taking the "moral" stance on weed and protesting while they lick their chops over that sweet gambling money.

2 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Well, thank god they're still taking the "moral" stance on weed and protesting while they lick their chops over that sweet gambling money.

Yeah but spending $25 on weed is far more heinous then spending your entire weekend betting on college and pro football games all the while telling your wife everything is fine.  / sarc off

I know 3 guys whose marriages ended do to gambling, particularly on football.  Never met anyone whose wife dumped him because he smoked a little weed. 

7 hours ago, SF2 said:

Yeah but spending $25 on weed is far more heinous then spending your entire weekend betting on college and pro football games all the while telling your wife everything is fine.  / sarc off

I know 3 guys whose marriages ended do to gambling, particularly on football.  Never met anyone whose wife dumped him because he smoked a little weed. 

What is he smoked a LOT of weed?

9 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Most guys I know that smoke a LOT of weed don't do squat.  That often ends up being a money issue.

Yeah, I can see that being an issue.  If you are stoned from the time you get up until you go to bed,  that might be a problem.    Still, it takes time to get to that point and hopefully some friends will step in.  Its hard to hide that.

The issue with gambling is when someone starts to lose, they tend to take bigger bets in an attempt to win it back.  The dollars get big FAST and few people know until it is way too late.  Watching the police tape off the neighbor's house was shocking.  Wife called the police and they went inside to gather evidence off the computer and other things.  Husband had emptied her IRA trying to win it back.   She had no idea until the first pay or you will be evicted notice arrived via registered mail.   Since he was using a bookie out of state, it got ugly fast. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Yeah, I can see that being an issue.  If you are stoned from the time you get up until you go to bed,  that might be a problem.    Still, it takes time to get to that point and hopefully some friends will step in.  Its hard to hide that.

The issue with gambling is when someone starts to lose, they tend to take bigger bets in an attempt to win it back.  The dollars get big FAST and few people know until it is way too late.  Watching the police tape off the neighbor's house was shocking.  Wife called the police and they went inside to gather evidence off the computer and other things.  Husband had emptied her IRA trying to win it back.   She had no idea until the first pay or you will be evicted notice arrived via registered mail.   Since he was using a bookie out of state, it got ugly fast. 

Jebus.  Only close friend I've had with a gambling problem, it was a symptom of an addictive personality/escapism.  He moved on to hard drugs.  Dude is much better now but it fucked his life up bad for quite a while.  

19 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Jebus.  Only close friend I've had with a gambling problem, it was a symptom of an addictive personality/escapism.  He moved on to hard drugs.  Dude is much better now but it fucked his life up bad for quite a while.  

Not going to say one is better than the other, both are horrible.  I had one friend with the drug issue.  Married with kids.  Well known local guy from a fairly wealthy family.  Wife was a total sweetheart.  Started smoking crack (quite a few years ago).  We tried to help him but he could not stay off the stuff.  Wife finally left him with the kids.  She asked one of my friends to go get some of her stuff a few weeks later.   He found him at home at 3 pm, in the dark, asleep in the bed with 3 other people (2 skanky sluts and probably the dealer) and the house a mess. 

Took him  years to get straight.  Remarried, same thing.  A few good years, couple of kids, sweetheart wife, started smoking meth.   Almost the same result.   Clean right now.  Saw him a few weeks ago.  

Archived