Eric Reid files collusion grievance against the NFL

oldschooler

5 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Do you have the list of votes? I keep hearing they all voted for this, but then I also see the Co-Owner of the Jets saying he would pay the fines, and I've seen where both the Jets and 49ners abstained from voting but nobody has been able to produce anything showing the actual votes.

Well, with more reporting... Apparently there wasn't even a vote. Goodell apparently just thought everyone would be cool with him dropping a giant turd in the punchbowl.

Politics, religion, and money have been and are the ruin of the world. Especially in this country, where it’s all mixed together for the elites to keep themselves above us peons.

Fuck the owners, the politicians, and especially those who are IGNORING the VALID reason for the protest and turning it into patriotic bullshit.

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

The players have to do something to protest this ridiculous "policy", if they protest en mass then the owners will be forced to fine the entire league or get rid of this "policy"

And more and more people will stop watching.  Where the NBA players display intelligence the NFL players continue to cling to a form of protest that has had almost zero effect other than drop ratings almost 20%. 

The good thing for the NFL is CTE has disappeared from the discussion.  The players are so fucking stupid they took their eye off the real crime: The intentional and well known effects of helmet to helmet blows since they sold more tickets. The owners use them like a horse owner uses a gelding: race them until they break down then send them to the slaughter house.

17 minutes ago, SF2 said:

And more and more people will stop watching.  Where the NBA players display intelligence the NFL players continue to cling to a form of protest that has had almost zero effect other than drop ratings almost 20%. 

You keep repeating this - there's no evidence that the protests had anything to do with the ratings drop. In fact, it's happening to all of the major sports, so...

"But the NFL isn’t the only league to take ratings hits this year. NASCAR’s audience has been getting pared down over the last decade, reaching a stunningly low level in 2017. College football also slid back a bit in 2017. MLB and NBA ratings stagnated on local RSNs this season, and the results on a national level were a mixed bag (though both the World Series and Finals shined in 2017).  The NHL took a hit in half of its American markets, and also on a national level for NBC. The Premier League took a step backwards on NBC after seeing positive growth following its switch to the peacock in 2013-14."

6 hours ago, SF2 said:

The good thing for the NFL is CTE has disappeared from the discussion.  The players are so fucking stupid they took their eye off the real crime: The intentional and well known effects of helmet to helmet blows since they sold more tickets. The owners use them like a horse owner uses a gelding: race them until they break down then send them to the slaughter house.

You forgo the glue factory. There's always the glue factory. I heard David Pollack went there and never emerged. Something to do with an unimportant SEC team or something.

5 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

You keep repeating this - there's no evidence that the protests had anything to do with the ratings drop. In fact, it's happening to all of the major sports, so...

"But the NFL isn’t the only league to take ratings hits this year. NASCAR’s audience has been getting pared down over the last decade, reaching a stunningly low level in 2017. College football also slid back a bit in 2017. MLB and NBA ratings stagnated on local RSNs this season, and the results on a national level were a mixed bag (though both the World Series and Finals shined in 2017).  The NHL took a hit in half of its American markets, and also on a national level for NBC. The Premier League took a step backwards on NBC after seeing positive growth following its switch to the peacock in 2013-14."

The WTF sports are we watching? Galf? I fucking hate galf.

I have been done with the NFL for years...and for reasons other than this nonsense. It is a crap product, not worth buying. 

Interesting you note the Premier League. I must be on the plus side of viewership. An amazing game...never miss it on Saturday/Sunday mornings. And tomorrow is the UEFA Cup finals match (one of the many "Super Bowls" in soccer): Real Madrid against my adopted favs Liverpool FC. Go Reds! 

7 hours ago, SF2 said:

The NFL has peaked, they are in the contraction phase of the business cycle. To blame the player's protest as the sole and solitary reason why there was a drop in the ratings is not based in facts but just the opinion of those who disagree with the protest. I contend that these fans will still watch because they are just that fanatics of the sport and their faux outrage will be trumped(pun intended) by their desire to watch organized and controlled violence. 

The owners made this into a bigger problem than it was as the kneeling protest had basically run it's course. Now they giving life to it by  this heavy handed "policy" in which they did not consult their employees. If the owners had respect for their players and viewed them as the partners that they are this would have never occurred, instead they treat their talent like an expensive race horse(can't remember where I heard that analogy) that doesn't deserve any type of communication but should be told what to do and when to do it. 

1 hour ago, Bunghole said:

The WTF sports are we watching? Galf? I fucking hate galf.

Disc Golf mutha-fuggers! Grip it and rip it bitches! (And I'm just kidding, I'm one of the three people who watch this channel.)

https://www.jomezpro.com/

We're in peak TV. Streaming means you can say "Hmmm, I'm in the mood for a show about drug-addicts, murders, spousal abuse and racism. NFL or Binge Season 1 of the Wire on Amazon?" We just had a thread about how Millennials are killing sports...

I'd rather be outside playing disc golf on a Sunday Afternoon and usually watch the games the next day after work. As I care less and less, why not watch Season 3 of "The Expanse" on Monday night? I used to watch the NBA - I haven't seen a game in years and I don't miss it. And you know what, when I did watch a little of the Finals this year I didn't have a rooting interest. I didn't make it past the first commercial break.

In short, the entertainment value of the NFL is down, the owners are some of the most unlikable people on the planet, aqnd people have a lot more things to do and a lot more ways to be entertained.

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

The NFL has peaked, they are in the contraction phase of the business cycle. To blame the player's protest as the sole and solitary reason why there was a drop in the ratings is not based in facts but just the opinion of those who disagree with the protest. I contend that these fans will still watch because they are just that fanatics of the sport and their faux outrage will be trumped(pun intended) by their desire to watch organized and controlled violence. 

The owners made this into a bigger problem than it was as the kneeling protest had basically run it's course. Now they giving life to it by  this heavy handed "policy" in which they did not consult their employees. If the owners had respect for their players and viewed them as the partners that they are this would have never occurred, instead they treat their talent like an expensive race horse(can't remember where I heard that analogy) that doesn't deserve any type of communication but should be told what to do and when to do it. 

I never said it was the sole and solitary reason, dont pull a Fred.  There is not doubt it had an impact though.   

The major networks had a $600 million shortfall in ad revenue this year due to decreased viewership. The lower ratings forced them to give away millions in free advertising due to lower ratings.  if your 3 major customers are lighting up your phone telling you to stop the protests, it might be a good idea to do it.   

Football is a business.  The players receive 46% of all the revenue.  Unfortunately, few of them understand anything about business and only care about their own personal brand.  The majority of players have been coddled and fawned over ever since they began to dominate in high school.  Hell, one guy at my Catholic High School got caught smoking dope in the bathroom in the late 80s.  Nothing happened to him. NOTHING.  We had tournament games to win.  Went on to Ohio State and then the pros.  Schools like Moeller, ST X, Cleveland St Ignatius etc  actively recruit and finance them to attend.  Colleges give them free education and boosters line their pockets with cash everytime they "visit" for a sit down meal at the house.   The majority have no business sense what so ever since everything has been handed to them for years to include grades.   

Delanie Walker of the Titans is the poster child of this mindset.  "And the fans that don't want to come to the game? I mean. OK. Bye," he told the Tennessean. "If you feel that's something - we're disrespecting you, don't come to the game."  Can you imagine any employee of another business treating customers like that in the press?   Walker has no idea who pays his salary,..ITS THE FANS.  Fans go to games or watch on TV.  The networks get huge add revenue and a huge chunk goes to the league. 46% of that revenue along with other sources pays your salary dumb ass.

If I started to take political stances at work that cost our company even 5% of our customer base, I would be fired immediately.  A solder refuses to salute the flag at reveille and he will end eventually end up behind bars.  A cop starts wearing a MAGA hat,.. fired.  The First Amendment does NOT PROTECT you from workplace consequences, PERIOD.  It protects you from GOVERNMENT consequences.   Since the players are not intelligent enough to see this, the adults in the room had to lay down the law.   

If a player has an issue, find another line of work or play in Canada.  We don't live in North Korea.  If an owner doesn't want to put up with your shit, too bad.  Do you think Terrell Owens, Randy Moss and Dez Bryant were released because they couldn't play anymore?  No, their former teams got tired of their shit.  Happens all the time in businesses across the globe.   One of our top advisors in a place I worked with got fired because he kept sending inappropriate jokes to people in our MONITORED email.  Just because you have talent doesn't mean you can't be fined or fired. 

22 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I'm just gonna put this here...

image.jpeg.ecb95d60405424226ce1b02b4cbfd092.jpeg

That is what happens in a dictatorship   Not sure why you think the two are similar in any way, the US government is NOT involved in the decision, that is on the owner's representative Roger Goodell.   

IF a player doesn't want to stand for the anthem, they can stay in the locker room.   What they can't do is use the anthem to protest WHILE ON THE CLOCK.  I am not allowed to protest against anything while on the clock either.  

4 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I'm also not required to stand for the anthem, or not be seen, either, but I digress...

You are digressing, your comment is meaningless.  The Anthem is part of the game.   If a PAID employee of an NFL team does not want to stand for it, stay in the locker room....PERIOD.  

If you had said get rid of the anthem, I would buy that argument.  Most (not all) of these guys don't really care about the flag or country.  Millennials that only care about themselves for the most part.   

5 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Right stay in the locker room, and not be seen. I get it.

Yeah, I mean there is no such thing as social media, traditional media or any other way to get your view point across. Did ESPN shut their doors?  LeBron certainly has it figured out and he didn't even fake attend college like these guys. 

Can't you just admit what the real problem for you is here?  Come on, you can do it.  

19 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

No, sure anything as long as it make people uncomfortable. Those are they types of protests we want, ones we dont have to be uncomfortable by.

Who is WE?  Come on,  you can do it.  Who is WE and who do YOU want to make uncomfortable?   

12 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Well, that depends, what is the protest concerning?

Sorry, I don't watch football for the protests.  I get enough of it every where else I look.   This country has come a long way in 40 years but if you are expecting perfection, you will be bitterly disappointed until the day you die. 

Just now, SF2 said:

Sorry, I don't watch football for the protests.  I get enough of it every where else I look.   This country has come a long way in 40 years but if you are expecting perfection, you will be bitterly disappointed until the day you die. 

Not what I asked, but ok.

16 hours ago, USN Bengal said:

Politics, religion, and money have been and are the ruin of the world. Especially in this country, where it’s all mixed together for the elites to keep themselves above us peons.

Fuck the owners, the politicians, and especially those who are IGNORING the VALID reason for the protest and turning it into patriotic bullshit.

YES

Archived