ESPN NFL power rankings: Bengals alarmingly low after the draft

ESPN NFL power rankings: Bengals alarmingly low after the draft

The Bengals didn’t start the offseason in the most inspiring of ways as the team brought backMarvin Lewis after his contract was set to expire after yet another disappointing season. The team did make some coaching moves this offseason by giving Bill Lazor the freedom to install his own offense instead of adapting Jay Gruden’s. The Bengals also brought in defensive coordinator Teryl Austin from the Lions after Paul Guenther left, and replaced offensive line coach Paul Alexander with Frank Pollack who held the same job with the Cowboys.

The Bengals also brought in linebacker Preston Brown via free agency as well as trading with the Bills for Cordy Glenn to sure up the left tackle position. The team went on to draft an upgrade at center with Billy Price as well as a few other players who could contribute during their rookie season.

All of this, and ESPN still thinks the Bengals are one of the worst teams going into next season. And further more, ESPN thinks the Bengals are in a worse spot after the draft than they were after free agency. In ESPN’s post-draft power ranking, the Bengals come in at #29.

29. Cincinnati Bengals

2017 record: 7-9

Post-free-agency ranking: 22

Each of the past three first-round picks by the Bengals played fewer than 100 snaps in his rookie season, and only one of the drafted players logged at least 50 percent of the team’s offensive or defensive snaps his rookie season. This year could be different, though, as first-round pick Billy Price is likely to be the starting center.

To put this in perspective, the only teams ranked lower than the Bengals are the Dolphins, Brownsand Colts. I’m not sure in what world those are the only teams worse than the Bengals.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/5/9/17336166/espn-nfl-power-rankings-rank-bengals-alarmingly-low-offseason-laughs

Of course, power rankings don't mean shit. It's only value is that it shows how much they hate the Bengals. This is probably where they were ranked or lower, the year that the Quitter quit. And they made the playoffs, so that's encouraging.

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

Of course, power rankings don't mean shit. It's only value is that it shows how much they hate the Bengals. This is probably where they were ranked or lower, the year that the Quitter quit. And they made the playoffs, so that's encouraging.

Or, how lazy they are at actually researching and comparing and contrasting the teams objectively. 

Historically, I like this team better when expectations are lower.

1 hour ago, thezerawkid said:

Mike Brown, is that you?

:ninja:

Actually, I agree...the team does seem to play better when less is expected of them.

4 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

Or, how lazy they are at actually researching and comparing and contrasting the teams objectively. 

You mean the same guys who make up our draft needs list by looking at who we lost in FA?

Unless you're talking about Kat Terrell, any "National" columnist only cares about the big market teams and HAS to put them higher. If Jerry Jones fielded a team of 12 year olds, they'd still be in the top half of the power rankings or there's a lot of nasty emails. You can rank the Bengals 29 all day and get two guys going "Not fair!"

5 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

You mean the same guys who make up our draft needs list by looking at who we lost in FA?

Unless you're talking about Kat Terrell, any "National" columnist only cares about the big market teams and HAS to put them higher. If Jerry Jones fielded a team of 12 year olds, they'd still be in the top half of the power rankings or there's a lot of nasty emails. You can rank the Bengals 29 all day and get two guys going "Not fair!"

Is some objective and researched composition too much to ask?

Never mind, I know the answer before even positing.

16 hours ago, CarsonCity said:

Huh? I don't sea anything wrong their. 

It should have read "...to shore up..." not 'sure'. 

I would also like to think that the improper use of 'their' in your post is a joke, but the lack of a :ninja: makes me wonder... 

32 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I bet you are fun at parties

Well, I am a professional grammar nazi these days (at least until July). I also teach Cambridge English exam preparation courses.

ETA: The original wasn't a grammatical error, it was a word choice/lexical error. :whistle:

11 hours ago, Elflocko said:

It should have read "...to shore up..." not 'sure'. 

I would also like to think that the improper use of 'their' in your post is a joke, but the lack of a :ninja: makes me wonder... 

:laugh::laugh::laugh: 

Dude, I know. Go back and reread my post and you might SEA another mistake. :cool:

(Btw, I don't like using the ninja emoji because it lacks subtlety)

12 hours ago, CarsonCity said:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: 

Dude, I know. Go back and reread my post and you might SEA another mistake. :cool:

(Btw, I don't like using the ninja emoji because it lacks subtlety)

D'OH! :lol:

Well played, sir. Well played... 

Archived