Billy Price on the field at rookie minicamp despite injury (Rookie Mini-cap News)

5 hours ago, Jason said:

The Worley article says he’s one of 4 rookies from tOSU. Who is #4 or was that a typo?

Nah they signed OSU long snapper. Forget his name.

Nick Seme. I think he was only in over the weekend for a tryout. Bengals had him at long snapper but listed as DL by the Buckeyes. Interview with him on first page of thread.

9 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Thanks for the kind words. 

You're welcome. 

Quite honestly, I really should be helping you since I'm unemployed and home bound due to my illness. If you ever need a hand let me know.

2 hours ago, whodey365 said:

Nah they signed OSU long snapper. Forget his name.

Nick Seme. I think he was only in over the weekend for a tryout. Bengals had him at long snapper but listed as DL by the Buckeyes. Interview with him on first page of thread.

Thanks.  Now that you mention it, I remember that now.

3 hours ago, Bunghole said:

Quite honestly, I really should be helping you since I'm unemployed and home bound due to my illness. If you ever need a hand let me know.

Well that sucks. What kind of illness, if you don't mind me asking? 

I'm good. Not a whole lot of news to post at the moment.

But if you get bored, feel free. 

9 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

It's a lyric by Jay-Z. He's talking about Michale Jordan when he wore the 45 number but its also a double entendre for a 45 cal pistol. The not playing games part is referring to Jordan not playing around against his competition, the aim at you part is the 45 pistol.

Okay. Thank. 

Price bench pressing playbook

Posted 35 minutes ago

hobson60x60.jpgGeoff HobsonEditorBengals.comFollow Me Blog

051118-price-billy-art.jpg

Billy Price has been sidelined, but not really.

Rookie center Billy Price, the Bengals’ No. 1 pick, isn’t scheduled to make a snap until training camp but he’s already making an impact.

After hooking on as one of the three try-out players that survived last weekend’s rookie minicamp, Oklahoma State center Brad Lundblade saluted Price for helping him out with the playbook while he made the majority of the snaps.

And Lundblade had a bunch on his plate with his second rookie minicamp in as many weeks.

He had been signed by Seattle right after the draft and then got cut last Monday after the Seahawks’ camp. He flew back home to Dallas, then flew here for the Bengals’ minicamp, where Price’s absence meant the center was going to get plenty of work. He brought just enough clothes for the weekend, so when the Bengals signed him Sunday Lundblade spent this Monday asking his parents to ship some clothes Cincinnati way.

“It was challenging,” Lundblade said of learning the scheme while practicing. “It was challenging because I was in Seattle the week before. Getting two brand new systems thrown at you in back-to-back weeks was challenging. Billy … for two weeks (had been) learning the playbook and he was able to help me out and I feel like I was able to pick up everything pretty well.

“He kind of had a jump start, so when I came in here getting all of this stuff thrown at me he was able to kind of help me out.”

Price heard the compliment and countered, “I thought he was helping me out. Really, he was helping me out. I think the big thing is you help each other by talking it through.”

Whatever, Price’s Ohio State-record-55-straight-starts reliability is as advertised. He's been sidelined since the scouting combine bench press with a torn pectoral muscle, but since he got drafted two-and-a-half weeks ago Price spent those first two days in offensive line coach Frank Pollack’s pocket. When he went back to Columbus he stayed in constant cyber contact until he returned for the minicamp and went back to the classroom.

Price knows enough that he helped a guy get a contract. Lundblade didn’t overwhelm the Bengals with his athletic ability, but he displayed plenty of brains as he navigated the weekend, the No. 1 attribute for an NFL center. No surprise there. Lundblade received nearly every major academic award while at Oklahoma State. He’s one of only two players in school history to earn CoSIDA Academic All-America first-team honors twice.

Not to mention the Bengals also liked the fact he knew what he was doing at both guards despite only playing center in Stillwater. Lundblade came out of school wise enough to know he needed to know how to also play guard if he had any shot at all to stick in the league, so he signed up to work with Duke Manyweather, a Dallas-based offensive line consultant.

051218-pollack-frank-art.jpg

Offensive line coach Frank Pollack hasn't had to yell at Billy Price about learning the playbook.

“It’s not all that different,” Lundblade said. “The angles are different. You have to understand the quarterback is not right behind you. It was a little uncomfortable at the beginning, but the more I got out there I felt good about it.”

No problem for Lundblade walking on to the NFL. That’s how he became the three-year anchor of an offense that last season led the nation in passing, finished second in total offense and first downs, third in pass efficiency and fourth in scoring. The Cowboys became the first offense in Big 12 history with a 4,000-yard passer (Mason Rudolph), a 1,000-yard rusher (Justice Hill) and two 1,000-yard receivers (James Washington and Marcell Ateman). And Lundblade went with them from walk-on late in 2014 to first team all-Big 12.

“I’d say it’s similar,” Lundblade said. “I think being a walk-on you have to start at the bottom and being an undrafted free-agent rookie you have to start at the bottom, too. It’s a situation I’m comfortable with and I’m just excited to be here. Starting from the bottom is great because you have nothing to do but work and that’s what I’m here to do.”

At the very least the Bengals have two young centers that are going to know the offense cold. After his first practice as a Bengal Monday, Lundblade, wearing Bengals’ togs until his clothes get here, grabbed lunch and a table with Price and another undrafted rookie, tackle Austin Fleer of Colorado Mesa, and they opened their iPad playbooks as well as their appetites.

“(Price) has done a great job,” Lundblade said. “It’s been good to work with him the last couple of days. I feel we’ve developed a good relationship.”

It appeared to be a snap.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Price-bench-pressing-playbook/bd4e36a4-c163-4180-be5d-06c4cef479d2

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

TY! Song is called "Encore".  I wouldn't expect Rick to get that :whistle: but c'mon folks. It got "mashed up" with Linkin Park's "Numb", I'm sure most of us have heard that one too many times. 

What did you say? I don’t know what you are talking about? (No ninja)

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

What did you say? I don’t know what you are talking about? (No ninja)

Lol.. Dude.. Go to YouTube and type in Linkin Park Numb.

If you don't recognize that song I am going to assume you're posting here from a sealed bunker. I don't listen to the radio other than Reds games or weather alerts and can't stand that nu-metal or wtfever they are & can still recognize that song in 5 notes. Seriously, nothing?

Blink if you need help!

56 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Well that sucks. What kind of illness, if you don't mind me asking? 

I'm good. Not a whole lot of news to post at the moment.

But if you get bored, feel free. 

I have liver cirrhosis with ascites. Also a large umbilical hernia and I've dipped into hyponatremia due to low blood sodium counts in my bloodwork. On top of that I have (sometimes crippling) neuropathy in my upper legs (top and sides of thighs) that causes much pain. It's nerve pain so it's like my legs are on fire and being electrocuted simultaneously. 

My long term prognosis is not good. People diagnosed with cirrhosis with ascites as a complication have a mortality rate of 50% over 1-2 years after diagnosis barring a transplant. I get abdominal fluid drained out of my abdomen almost every week. Today they performed one (called a paracentesis) and withdrew 9.2 litres of fluid, which is a lot. But a scheduling snafu caused the delays and I went three weeks this time without a paracentesis, which is too long.

So...yeah. It is what it is.

9 hours ago, Bunghole said:

I have liver cirrhosis with ascites. Also a large umbilical hernia and I've dipped into hyponatremia due to low blood sodium counts in my bloodwork. On top of that I have (sometimes crippling) neuropathy in my upper legs (top and sides of thighs) that causes much pain. It's nerve pain so it's like my legs are on fire and being electrocuted simultaneously. 

My long term prognosis is not good. People diagnosed with cirrhosis with ascites as a complication have a mortality rate of 50% over 1-2 years after diagnosis barring a transplant. I get abdominal fluid drained out of my abdomen almost every week. Today they performed one (called a paracentesis) and withdrew 9.2 litres of fluid, which is a lot. But a scheduling snafu caused the delays and I went three weeks this time without a paracentesis, which is too long.

Oh man. I really hate to hear that. I hope you can get everything worked out and

get back a good quality of life. I'm rooting for you. 

18 hours ago, Bunghole said:

I remember learning about all that stuff in school. For some reason, impoverished kids can get ascites. They’re super skinny but have big bellies. Doesn’t look pleasant. Have you taken healthy measures since your diagnosis? If so, how? I’m asking because my mother in law was diagnosed with (this isn’t exactly right but I can explain it a little) precursor leukemia. Her body’s CBC or WBC is showing that she has a high risk of developing full blown leukemia in the next 5-10 years or something like that. She is a severe alcoholic. Hardcore. Can’t make a 30 minutes drive without having a drink on her so she’s carries around a 12 in her car. I would actually say it has gotten worse since her diagnosis and her life decision making (whole other long story/stories) has been beneath poor. If you did change up your lifestyle, how? She actually told me the other day she didn’t plan to live five years. I’m thinking what the heck but maybe the addiction is too powerful and I have a problem understanding. 

11 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Oh man. I really hate to hear that. I hope you can get everything worked out and

get back a good quality of life. I'm rooting for you. 

Yeah, and I'm only 48! And I have two sons that are 16 and 12 that I likely will not see graduate from high school. But, I am trying. I've relapsed a couple times here and there but have remained totally sober for awhile now (since last winter). The smell or thought of alcohol literally makes me sick, and the last couple times I drank it, that's exactly what I immediately did...puke. My body immediately rejects it, so I decided to cooperate with my body. There are some good signs...I have now restricted my fluid intake to 1L of fluid per day per doctor's orders. That helps reduce what I can't pee out of me, which is good since they've taken me off my diuretics which were somehow causing the low sodium problem. Sigh.

Anyway, I appreciate it. I never intended my thanking you for your service in this post to become a mea culpa, I swear! It was supposed to be all about you!

:lol:

3 hours ago, Tigris said:

I remember learning about all that stuff in school. For some reason, impoverished kids can get ascites. They’re super skinny but have big bellies. Doesn’t look pleasant. Have you taken healthy measures since your diagnosis? If so, how? I’m asking because my mother in law was diagnosed with (this isn’t exactly right but I can explain it a little) precursor leukemia. Her body’s CBC or WBC is showing that she has a high risk of developing full blown leukemia in the next 5-10 years or something like that. She is a severe alcoholic. Hardcore. Can’t make a 30 minutes drive without having a drink on her so she’s carries around a 12 in her car. I would actually say it has gotten worse since her diagnosis and her life decision making (whole other long story/stories) has been beneath poor. If you did change up your lifestyle, how? She actually told me the other day she didn’t plan to live five years. I’m thinking what the heck but maybe the addiction is too powerful and I have a problem understanding. 

Wow, I am always reminded of the depths this poison will make some of us go. Your MIL's in serious trouble. She can't even go 30 minutes without a drink? Yikes. I have no room to judge but my drinking was always compressed into the "after work in the evenings/at night" hours and never at any time throughout the day so that's hard to imagine for myself.

The first obvious step is to quit drinking. Your MIL can only do this with medical supervision at some kind of hospital. She sounds likely to develop DT's and other serious physical withdrawal symptoms.

I honestly don't know what else I could possibly say that would help her at this point. She's gone beyond the ability to be a functioning alcoholic, IMO. 

WAY beyond.

1 hour ago, Bunghole said:

Yeah, and I'm only 48! And I have two sons that are 16 and 12 that I likely will not see graduate from high school. But, I am trying. I've relapsed a couple times here and there but have remained totally sober for awhile now (since last winter). The smell or thought of alcohol literally makes me sick, and the last couple times I drank it, that's exactly what I immediately did...puke. My body immediately rejects it, so I decided to cooperate with my body. There are some good signs...I have now restricted my fluid intake to 1L of fluid per day per doctor's orders. That helps reduce what I can't pee out of me, which is good since they've taken me off my diuretics which were somehow causing the low sodium problem. Sigh.

Anyway, I appreciate it. I never intended my thanking you for your service in this post to become a mea culpa, I swear! It was supposed to be all about you!

:lol:

I'm 48 too. I'll be 49 next Tuesday. Growing old is getting old.

I have 13 year old twins here and some older kids in Ohio and 2 grandkids there too.

I seriously hate to hear you're going through this. But I am thankful you shared it with me.

And I am really rooting for you and hoping for nothing but good things for you. You're a good guy and a valuable member here. 

If you need someone to talk to or just vent at sometimes, my messages are opened.

On 5/14/2018 at 8:55 PM, T-Dub said:

Lol.. Dude.. Go to YouTube and type in Linkin Park Numb.

If you don't recognize that song I am going to assume you're posting here from a sealed bunker. I don't listen to the radio other than Reds games or weather alerts and can't stand that nu-metal or wtfever they are & can still recognize that song in 5 notes. Seriously, nothing?

Blink if you need help!

I did what you said. This is the first time I heard the song. I must be in a sealed bunker, ha. Give me the music of the ‘60s.

Archived