Paul Daugherty: Millennial dispassion spells trouble for Cincinnati Reds, Bengals

6 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I would rather watch paint dry than soccer, but I can understand why a young person would prefer a FC game.  It's relatively inexpensive, a bunch of people like him or her will be there, and they have a reasonable expectation that the team will win. 

Finally, there is one more factor that brings people to sports that are less popular than baseball, football and basketball.....the players are kind of like us!  It's easier to identify with someone who is doing what they love with little hope of getting stinking rich doing it.  They aren't multi-millionaire assholes that think they can do whatever they damn well please.  I know that's a gross generalization and there are very good people that play in the NFL, MLB and NBA.  Still, the number d-bags tends to increase the more money they make, or so it seems. 

I love to watch soccer but it has to be high end teams that attack on offense.  Barcelona, Liverpool, Man City, Real Madrid, Munich etc..  I despise teams that play for ties.  Can't watch that shit.   I cant watch MLS or the US Men's National team either.  Horrible stuff.  Nice thing is the game starts, 45 minutes of uninterrupted play,  20 min halftime, 45 minutes of play and the game is over.  2 hours from start to finish.  There are not 25 tv timeouts, team timeouts, reviews, etc..   

I can't watch baseball.  So little action for a 3 to 4 hour game in some cases. 

Good MEN'S  lacrosse is fun to watch and coach.  Girl's lacrosse is painful. 

19 hours ago, SF2 said:

Yeah but its the Rooneys.   They can do what they want.

That said I stand by my original premise about the Bengals and Reds:  Start winning meaningful post season games and the Millennials will come.  Certainly more so with the Bengals.  Never been much of a baseball fan.  

I agree, young people like winners. I guarantee you that the Warriors, Cavs, Yankees, Pats, Eagles, etc..... teams that have a culture of winning in the past or present aren't worried about a future when no one cares about them.

The local teams are a joke, a only stubbornly blind homers like the motley crew that frequents this place can consistently root for them.

The Reds are a farm team that develops talent for teams that really want to win. They pay guys like Homer Bailey but let stars leave for little to nothing because they are not committed to winning like their competition.

The Bengals are a rudderless ship that is captained by a guy stuck in the past trying to do things the way his Dad did them 30 years ago along with his first mate, Mediocre Marvin.... what is exciting and worthy of your time and money about that?

I've been to many Reds, Bengals, FCC games and the FCC game was the best by far. The Bengals in game experience sucks, from the cheesey music to the drab stadium, and 15 dollars beers....hard pass. The Reds is much better it's just the talent and coaching is sub par thanks to the ownership commitment to shipping out anyone that plays at a high level.

FCC games are entertaining, energy packed, and affordable. You can go to a game without having to make life decisions, the average person doesn't want to spend 200-300 bucks to go see a sporting event... especially when they can watch on their TV, laptop, phone, tablet, etc... for free.

8 hours ago, SF2 said:

I love to watch soccer but it has to be high end teams that attack on offense.  Barcelona, Liverpool, Man City, Real Madrid, Munich etc..  I despise teams that play for ties.  Can't watch that shit.   I cant watch MLS or the US Men's National team either.  Horrible stuff.  Nice thing is the game starts, 45 minutes of uninterrupted play,  20 min halftime, 45 minutes of play and the game is over.  2 hours from start to finish.  There are not 25 tv timeouts, team timeouts, reviews, etc..   

Yeah I can't get into a 2 hr team sport that often ends in a tie.  No wonder their fans riot.

Archived