The Bengals need help at guard, and Richie Incognito would give them a major boost. 

By Jason Marcum@marcum89  May 21, 2018, 4:46pm EDT

usa_today_10578553.0.jpgSteve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports

Richie Incognito’s NFL career isn’t quite finished.

The Pro Bowl offensive guard decided to retire from the NFL earlier this offseason, which led to the Buffalo Bills placing him on the reserve/retired list. However, Incognito has since expressed his desire to keep playing, and the Bills have now released him. 

With Incognito now free to sign with any team, he’ll be one of the more coveted free agents left on the market. It just so happens he plays a position that the Bengals desperately need another body at.

After being out of football in 2014 due largely to his role in the Miami Dolphins’ bullying scandal, Incognito signed with the Bills in 2015, and he’s been one of the NFL’s best guards ever since. 

Incognito was named to Pro Football Focus’ First-Quarter All-Pro Team in 2017, and he finished the season with an 80.5 grade, the 12th-best among NFL guards.

The problem with Incognito is he’ll be 35 when the 2018 season begins, so he’s far from being a long-term solution to the Bengals’ right guard woes. Then again, he’d be a dramatic upgrade over Trey Hopkins, Christian Westerman and Alex Redmond, even if it’s for only a season.

If the Bengals are serious about making a playoff run in 2018 after keeping more of their core intact, then they should look into Incognito. An offensive line of Cordy Glenn, Clint Boling, Billy Price, Incognito and Jake Fisher has some real promise. 

And lest we forget Incognito is a former Bill, who the Bengals have been swapping players and picks with throughout this offseason. It only seems right for the Bengals of all teams to sign Incognito. 

16 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Idk, at this point I think it'd be a wasted effort. He told the Bills he was retiring because of kidney and liver failure from stress. Now he wants to play again!? Wtf idk

He played in Buffalo and had to block for Tyrod Taylor.  The liver stress was due to drinking.   It would need to be an incentive laden contract but why the hell not.

40 minutes ago, SF2 said:

He played in Buffalo and had to block for Tyrod Taylor.  The liver stress was due to drinking.   It would need to be an incentive laden contract but why the hell not.

True, but they seem to be definitely trending toward high character guys only that they are bringing in new. Not sure if this guy comes close to fitting that bill.

2 hours ago, fluhartz said:

sure.. couldn't hurt

hated the dude forever...but it would bring some nastiness to the line..

Us signing Incognito would be the equivalent of the Stealers signing Burfict after the Bengals are forced to release him because of all the suspensions...We hated him as an opponent but like Vontaze, he's gonna bring that kick ass attitude and nastiness that the offense needs--especially in today's NFL...

And it's a one-year deal,  so there is no risk whatsoever....

I really hope this happens, but it's likely that its not gonna happen....

Worst.Idea.Ever.....this guy is bat shit crazy and is free agent because of his own strange(the nicest way to describe it) decision making. 

Hard pass, I would rather stick with the players that are on the roster now and see who becomes available as the year progress than give him a roster spot. Besides he doesn't know if he wants to play, I thought he had health issues.

13 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Worst.Idea.Ever.....this guy is bat shit crazy and is free agent because of his own strange(the nicest way to describe it) decision making. 

Hard pass, I would rather stick with the players that are on the roster now and see who becomes available as the year progress than give him a roster spot. Besides he doesn't know if he wants to play, I thought he had health issues.

Kind of my thoughts as well!

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Yeah, I'm putting that shit straight through the windshield. Need to pump the brakes hard on that idea big shoots.

Incognito is a pile of walking garbage. The only possible benefit is letting Joe Mixon know what it's like to be a scared little girl being hit by a guy twice his size.

If he's on the roster, I'm off the bandwagon. Even for the Brown family, that's a new low.

I agree that he is a piece of garbage..and like I said earlier, I have hated him for years..but I am just curious, why is he any worse than all the other pieces of garbage this team has employed over the years?

drunk drivers

woman hitters

drug addicts

nurse/whatever spitters

quitters

garbage coaches

and whatever else

why is a roided out nut job worse than any of those?

I don't really give a shit...if he is on the team and they are better for it.. oh well..good?

6 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

I agree that he is a piece of garbage..and like I said earlier, I have hated him for years..but I am just curious, why is he any worse than all the other pieces of garbage this team has employed over the years?

drunk drivers

woman hitters

drug addicts

nurse/whatever spitters

quitters

garbage coaches

and whatever else

why is a roided out nut job worse than any of those?

I don't really give a shit...if he is on the team and they are better for it.. oh well..good?

More of a straw that breaks the Camel's back. Incognito has been the poster boy for what's wrong in the NFL for a decade.

As mentioned in a previous thread, the shit's already getting me to tune out. Maybe you can hear that disgust in my comment about Mixon, and at least he's a young guy with a chance to be better. Incognito is the FO's way of saying they TRULY don't give a shit. I didn't hang around for 40 years hoping the Bengals win something only to watch them do it on the backs of human garbage. 

We all know the Martin situation.... But read this and ask if he's really a guy you want on your team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richie_Incognito

Despite his impressive physical tools, ESPN Scouts Inc. noted "his inability to control his emotions both on and off the field is such a significant concern that he'll likely slip to the later rounds of the draft."[14] Years later, then-Kansas City Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli, who was the player personnel director of the New England Patriots in 2005, said that he did not even consider taking Incognito then, "and I don't want him now" in Kansas City. Pioli had long been known for drafting players with checkered pasts. At the same time, former Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy said that Incognito was on the Colts' "DNDC" ("do not draft because of character") list in 2005.

On October 17, Incognito was fined three times for a total of $35,000 after the game versus the Washington Redskins.[18] His violations during the game included repeatedly berating an official, a "major face mask" on a field goal attempt, and a chop block. The last penalty was not called during the game, but was detected on a video review. Incognito's behavior nearly led to a loss after he was called for a 15-yard personal foul penalty before the eventual game-winning field goal.

On December 13, during the first half of a 47–7 loss to the Tennessee Titans, Incognito drew two 15-yard penalties for headbutting Titans players. Head coach Steve Spagnuolo benched him for the second half, and the two got into a heated confrontation on the sidelines. It was the second time Incognito had been benched for losing his composure; he had been pulled from the season opener against Seattle for two personal fouls. However, the Titans incident was the last straw; the Rams waived him two days after the game.

Incognito was accused by Jaguars' defensive end 
Yannick Ngakoue of using racial slurs against him during the game.

I wonder how many of you referring to this overgrown turd's victims as "pussies" would be cool with some 6' 3, 300lb roid-raged psycho assclown blowing up your phones at 3am with text messages about raping your wife and family.  Because that is the kind of shit he was getting up to in Miami, FYI.  This wasn't snapping someone with a towel in the locker room once too often.

My conservative estimate is not a fucking one of you tough guys.  Simmer down there, Chair Force One.

In the last 3 years he hasn't missed a game, has one fine for fighting with a Miami player (the team he got booted from) and that is basically it.  3 major penalties:  1 unnecessary roughness penalty a face mask and chop block  just about sums his last 3 pro bowl seasons. 

In the last 3 years Burfict has been fined 7 times, has been suspended 3 times for 10 games and has managed 9 major penalties to include 1 disqualification and 7 unnecessary roughness penalties. 

Incognito is a choir boy compared to Burfict.

If he can help the team win, I don't care.  They are not role models. 

1 minute ago, SF2 said:

Man I know you have a inexplicable hard-on for Burfict, but see above...  Being suspended by Roger fuckin' Goodell does not make him a bad person.  Jebus wept.... 

3 minutes ago, SF2 said:

In the last 3 years he hasn't missed a game, has one fine for fighting with a Miami player (the team he got booted from) and that is basically it.  3 major penalties:  1 unnecessary roughness penalty a face mask and chop block  just about sums his last 3 pro bowl seasons. 

In the last 3 years Burfict has been fined 7 times, has been suspended 3 times for 10 games and has managed 9 major penalties to include 1 disqualification and 7 unnecessary roughness penalties. 

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement.... yeah compared to the biggest fuck up in the league he's a choir boy...lol

Vontaze Burfict should not be the baseline for acceptable behavior. 

However, Richie has been committed to a psych ward, Burfict hasn't as far as I know.

https://www.ajc.com/news/national/richie-incognito-checked-into-psychiatric-hospital/PpmKt4qnyS9TiiWGY2v2FK/

TMZ reported Incognito is at a psychiatric care unit in Arizona. They report he didn't voluntarily admit himself, rather the Scottsdale Police Department completed a petition to have him admitted.

Just now, T-Dub said:

Man I know you have a inexplicable hard-on for Burfict, but see above...  Being suspended by Roger fuckin' Goodell does not make him a bad person.  Jebus wept.... 

I am talking about on the field and how it affects the team.  Burfict time and time again fucks this team over.   He will watch the first four games once again because he can't get his shit straight.   Incognito has been clean for 3 years.  

3 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

More of a straw that breaks the Camel's back. Incognito has been the poster boy for what's wrong in the NFL for a decade.

As mentioned in a previous thread, the shit's already getting me to tune out. Maybe you can hear that disgust in my comment about Mixon, and at least he's a young guy with a chance to be better. Incognito is the FO's way of saying they TRULY don't give a shit. I didn't hang around for 40 years hoping the Bengals win something only to watch them do it on the backs of human garbage. 

We all know the Martin situation.... But read this and ask if he's really a guy you want on your team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richie_Incognito

Despite his impressive physical tools, ESPN Scouts Inc. noted "his inability to control his emotions both on and off the field is such a significant concern that he'll likely slip to the later rounds of the draft."[14] Years later, then-Kansas City Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli, who was the player personnel director of the New England Patriots in 2005, said that he did not even consider taking Incognito then, "and I don't want him now" in Kansas City. Pioli had long been known for drafting players with checkered pasts. At the same time, former Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy said that Incognito was on the Colts' "DNDC" ("do not draft because of character") list in 2005.

On October 17, Incognito was fined three times for a total of $35,000 after the game versus the Washington Redskins.[18] His violations during the game included repeatedly berating an official, a "major face mask" on a field goal attempt, and a chop block. The last penalty was not called during the game, but was detected on a video review. Incognito's behavior nearly led to a loss after he was called for a 15-yard personal foul penalty before the eventual game-winning field goal.

On December 13, during the first half of a 47–7 loss to the Tennessee Titans, Incognito drew two 15-yard penalties for headbutting Titans players. Head coach Steve Spagnuolo benched him for the second half, and the two got into a heated confrontation on the sidelines. It was the second time Incognito had been benched for losing his composure; he had been pulled from the season opener against Seattle for two personal fouls. However, the Titans incident was the last straw; the Rams waived him two days after the game.

Incognito was accused by Jaguars' defensive end 
Yannick Ngakoue of using racial slurs against him during the game.

+1

you could have stopped at the bolded and I don't blame you one bit....honestly

I already knew he was garbage, I just wondered why he was worse than the other garbage the team had employed.

The homophobic and racial shit is so ridiculous, but so is a ton of shit people do in this league...and if guys can still play, they aren't going away.

I am surprised Greg Hardy hasn't resurfaced

1 minute ago, PatternMaster said:

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement.... yeah compared to the biggest fuck up in the league he's a choir boy...lol

49 game in a row.  1 unnecessary roughness penalty.  3 pro bowls.

Just now, SF2 said:

I am talking about on the field and how it affects the team.  Burfict time and time again fucks this team over.   He will watch the first four games once again because he can't get his shit straight.   Incognito has been clean for 3 years.  

Yeahyeah Burfict is suspended again.   Gosh don't you hate the way he "fucks the team over" by playing football the way Pittsburgh does?  The nerve of that guy, honestly.

That BS aside, things off the field also affect the team.  Very much so, as noted.

2 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

Incognito was accused by Jaguars' defensive end Yannick Ngakoue of using racial slurs against him during the game.

And his black team mate who played next to him in that game said it was bullshit.

And the other shit happened in 2008 for Christ's sake.

Archived