Adonis Alexander in supplemental draft?

************ From a Dallas Cowboys article thus all the Cowboinkers references but the guy does sound interesting if the price is right especially for a team that collects extra supplemental draft choices.

With no risk comes no reward.

The Dallas Cowboys will need to do their due diligence, but if reports come back with limited concerns, Dallas should roll the dice and make a substantial bid for the services of former Virginia Tech cornerback Adonis Alexander. Reports are that he will make himself available in this year’s supplmental draft.

cuWNCwmf_normal.jpg

Former Virginia Tech CB Adonis Alexander is expected to enter the NFL supplemental draft, sources say. Lot of off-field issues for teams to sort through, but he’s 6-3, talented, raw but high upside … should get picked.

A report hints the reason Alexander is no longer with the Hokies football team is because of academics. He has multiple suspensions in his background as well.

With all that said, the 6-foot-3, 207-pound Alexander is exactly the type of on-field player who Dallas needs manning one of their outside cornerback slots.  *** Maybe a safety in Cincinnati?? hsh***

Alexander Background

gettyimages-842377302.jpg?w=1000&h=667

(Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images)

From NFL Draft Bible:

Alexander hit the ground running as a true freshman with eights starts, four interceptions and 55 tackles. He has rare size for a defensive back, he also has a 41-inch vertical leap and locates and tracks the ball very well. The North Carolina native has tremendous length, great reactionary speed and the range to cover a lot of ground. Alexander shadows his man and is capable of reading through to the quarterback but he is a tad bit high cut and rigid in his transition. 

His long speed is a bit of a concern for him to be an NFL corner, but without any recent timings one cannot be sure. 

Adding Alexander would be a risk worth taking, knowing the type of player Richard prefers for the Cover 3 and man-to-man duties he favors so much.

Alexander was a second-team freshman All-American in 2015 when he hauled in four interceptions. He caught a marijuana charge that offseason and received a one-game suspension from the team.

In 32 career games he has seven interceptions and 17 pass deflections. A few services who have put out 2019 draft information had him around the third-to-fourth round cusp.

With Dallas in line to get a fourth-round compensatory pick for Anthony Hitchens, they might consider bidding their fourth for the opportunity to bring Alexander in a year early.

Supplemental Draft rules

The supplemental draft works in a semi-lottery based on team record from the previous season. Teams with less than seven wins have weighted chances to determine their order in the process. Next, the rest of the teams who missed the playoffs are put in a weighted lottery to fill the subsequent order. Finally, the playoff teams are weighted and put in a lottery to be picked and round out all 32 franchises.

Teams submit the supplemental-eligible players, along with the round of pick they are willing to give up. Whatever the highest ranking bid wins. If multiple teams bid the same round for the same player, then the semi-lottery placements come into effect.

With Dallas finishing 9-7 and missing the playoffs, the worst they could finish would be worst among non-playoff teams, or 20th in the supplemental order. With 11 teams finishing with five wins or less, the highest they could be in the order is 12th.

1 hour ago, Cricket said:

What were/are his off-field issues?

Missed 3 games due to suspensions. Article I read, said at least 1 was due to marijuana. He became academically ineligible. I guess that means he's not too smart.

41 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Missed 3 games due to suspensions. Article I read, said at least 1 was due to marijuana. He became academically ineligible. I guess that means he's not too smart.

Sounds like he needs some redeeming and he could rent Dre's house.

I actually like the sound of the guy from this and we probably will have the comp picks.

After a little seasoning line him up at safety with Master Bates.

18 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Sounds like he needs some redeeming and he could rent Dre's house.

I actually like the sound of the guy from this and we probably will have the comp picks.

Lol, as a 5th round or later I guess might be worth it. What do I know though?!:lol:

2 hours ago, schotzee said:

I don't know anything about him, but I get the feeling, if he has any boneheadedness in him, the team won't touch him. They seem to be all in on nothing but high character guys now.

I noticed that too. It seems like all of our draftees this year were high character guys. In fact it seemed like we placed a premium on that.

What a turn around - bizarro land.

But I like it! I think you build great teams around guys like Billy Price.

Why would he want to come here Instead the Cowboys? Also, the Cowboys would offer him more money than us. And if he is that good, I am sure other teams would get him before us.

11 hours ago, schotzee said:

I don't know anything about him, but I get the feeling, if he has any boneheadedness in him, the team won't touch him. They seem to be all in on nothing but high character guys now.

Man I hope you're right about that. Dipshittery has cost us big over the years. If you are right, I'd credit Marvin with putting his foot down.

1 hour ago, Rick said:

Why would he want to come here Instead the Cowboys? Also, the Cowboys would offer him more money than us. And if he is that good, I am sure other teams would get him before us.

It doesn’t matter where he wants to play.  

17 hours ago, schotzee said:

The ghost of Chris Henry is shrieking at you from the grave. Something about Adam Jones spitting in your face and Vontaze promising to twist your ankle the next time he sees you. I'm channeling them, sometimes the language isn't 100% clear. But the message about your ankle being twisted into a pretzel is definitely coming through strong.

17 hours ago, schotzee said:

Marijuana? HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who the fuck cares about that shit anymore other than the NFL? And they will cave soon enough and stop the ridiculous testing for a drug that's far safer than alcohol. Dumbasses.

16 hours ago, Jason said:

If he were a tackle I'd be all in.  

Wait. Now, if he weighed Tree Fiddy, AND could do backflips out of a pool, then you owe BJ and I a pork butt fueled circle jerk. With swords (and not our fleshly ones...big double-handed ones. Oh, and shields. And if we're going to do shields, then we might as well do armor.)

16 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Ah, but the servant waits, while the master baits!

On 6/2/2018 at 10:53 AM, schotzee said:

That's the Devil's Weed.  No thanks, it'll make him schizo and what not. 

hqdefault.jpg

ReeferMadness800.png

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

That the Devil's Weed.  No thanks, it'll make him schizo and what not. 

hqdefault.jpg

ReeferMadness800.png

I'm not saying it's bad or should be illegal but he should at least be smarter about when using it, knowing it's frowned upon in college and professional sports.

20 hours ago, T-Dub said:

A friend of my friend injected 3 whole marijuanas and almost died. Now he thinks he's an orange & won't go outside out of fear someone will juice him.

1 like = 1 prayer.

When they go from snorting the marijuanas to injecting it, you know its bad.  Plus, based on the poster above, the smoke gets in youth's eyes.

13 hours ago, T-Dub said:

A friend of my friend injected 3 whole marijuanas and almost died. Now he thinks he's an orange & won't go outside out of fear someone will juice him.

1 like = 1 prayer.

I said a prayer in the Name of Jesus your friend would be delivered from the drug. So many lives and families have been destroyed by addictive and mind altering drugs.

2 hours ago, Rick said:

I said a prayer in the Name of Jesus your friend would be delivered from the drug. So many lives and families have been destroyed by addictive and mind altering drugs.

Turtles All The Way Down - Sturgill Simpson

There's a gateway in our mind that leads somewhere out there beyond this plane
Where reptile aliens made of light cut you open and pull out all your pain
Tell me how you make illegal something that we all make in our brain
Some say you might go crazy but then again it might make you go sane

Every time I take a look inside inside that old and fabled book
I'm blinded and reminded of the pain caused by some old man in the sky
Marijuana, LSD, Psilocybin, and DMT
They all changed the way I see
But love's the only thing that ever saved my life

IF...   Jim Anderson was still here then maybe a consideration would be given.  On second thought, Stanley Wilson...   

In other words, this guy may have potential but is likely someone who will be suspended when you need them the most. 

35 minutes ago, Numbers said:

IF...   Jim Anderson was still here then maybe a consideration would be given.  On second thought, Stanley Wilson...   

In other words, this guy may have potential but is likely someone who will be suspended when you need them the most. 

That's the impression I get as well.

16 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

Can I get a clarification on "Weird" in regards to that poster?  Still trying to decide whether I'm in or not.    :rolleyes:

That is a poster from the 30s.  It was during this time that a bunch of do gooders made up a lot of lies about marijuana using fear and deception like this poster.  The paper companies were part of the deception as well.  The result was the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 basically making it impossible to legally sell or transport the stuff due to the massive tax.  Basically raised the tax on 1 ounce of marihuana to an adjusted $2,200 for anyone who was not a registered buyer and seller of the "powerful narcotic."  Becoming a registered buyer and seller had its own outrageous tax and federal paperwork.

A lot of this does stem from the fact that Opium and Hash Dens were flourishing on the East Cost of the US in the late 1890s early 1900s.  It wasn't until 1905 that the feds started clamping down on the Opium problem which was real.  We have always loved our drugs. 

Archived