Let’s escape the reality of the 2018 Bengals and…

...dream of a team with Carson Palmer and Corey Dillon. Would we have won one or two playoff games if they chose to stay with the Bengals? When I read the Browns have a better chance of going to the Super Bowl than us, I get down and depressed about the upcoming 2018 season. I think of a team with Carson and Corey giving 100%. Would we have won the Pittsburgh playoff game? It’s fun to think about. That’s really all we have. 

C18B67DE-4299-4A37-9B92-9ED65EE2C2CD.jpeg

If you want to know how this 2018 team is going to compare to the 2005 squad, well...

-The offense is going to be just as hot, with a lesser QB but better (and more mentally reliable) skill players than Chad and TJ. Provided the culture change of the offensive line is as dramatic as it's being portrayed, Mixon should easily surpass 1300 yards this season, and Gio should ring the TD bell a combined 10 times. Green gets 110 catches for 1200 and ten TD's. Ross gets 50 catches for 6 TD's. Eifert stays healthy and gets us another 8 TD's on 900 yards receiving. 

-The biggest comparison is going to be on the defense. Austin is trying to make our defense more opportunistic in generating turnovers. We've been especially bad at that, but the 2005 defense with guys like O'Neal and company, while no great shakes at stopping the run or pass, tended to get turnovers at crucial times in games. I think if this push to be a little more gambling on defense with the idea of takeaways is successful, the rest of the team will follow. Nothing like a short field for your offense.

6 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Uh.. The reality of the 2018 Bengals is that they are 0-0 & tied for the #1 seed with TeamsLikethePatriots. I mean, it's June. WTF are you getting down about? Cleveland's odds in Vegas? Get a grip man.

Yea really! I'm not sure why the big reason for anyone to be so down. I'm sure the 2 years we did end up going our odds were probably not too great either, but guess what, they went!

3 hours ago, westside bengal said:

I have no idea about 2018....too much time between now and the season.

But I will always believe that the 2005 Bengals were the best team in the NFL by playoff time.

The defense couldn’t stop anyone if they couldn’t turn you over. I think A couple of the 2005 playoff teams would have beaten us. They would have beaten urineburgh though. 

13 hours ago, schotzee said:

Yea really! I'm not sure why the big reason for anyone to be so down. I'm sure the 2 years we did end up going our odds were probably not too great either, but guess what, they went!

Getting down over something that might happen months from now & completely out of your control is bad enough, but for something as relatively trivial as NFL football? I mean there's no "reality" to escape.  NFL football is a diversion from reality at best.

5 hours ago, fluhartz said:

that's fine if you want a lesser RB.

man let's not forget that Rudy is also one of the all-time great Bengals RB's....he never complained, never said a word...he just put his head down, went to work and wanted to be here......I'll take that all day. 

Dillon might have been a little bit better player but he was a total douche....so fuck him. 

57 minutes ago, spicoli said:

man let's not forget that Rudy is also one of the all-time great Bengals RB's....he never complained, never said a word...he just put his head down, went to work and wanted to be here......I'll take that all day. 

Dillon might have been a little bit better player but he was a total douche....so fuck him. 

Dillon played on DOGSHIT teams.  The team was 32-80 while he was here.  He played with 8 different starting QBs in 7 years here. 

The defense finished 22 or worse 5 of those 7 years 3 of those years they were ranked 28th.   

The defense finished one time in the top half of the league while he was here (9th). 

Corey became a total douche in 2002, his sixth here when the team went 2-14 by starting 3 shit QBs.  Those QBs handed him the ball 314 times for 1311 yards while the defense finished DEAD last in points allowed. 

Only a crap organization would run their best player into the ground after starting the season 0-7. 

I also happen to think that Cedric Benson was almost as good as Dillon, especially his resurgent few seasons he had here. His playoff performance against the Jets (and then his mysterious disappearing act in the 2nd half) was pretty fucking awesome, even if the OC gave up on him because 3-7 point deficits in the 3rd quarter and beyond in games require the offense to pass the ball on every down.

41 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

even if the OC gave up on him because 3-7 point deficits in the 3rd quarter and beyond in games require the offense to pass the ball on every down.

I think every OC we've had from Brat to present did this. Not sure how much was pass-happy philosophy vs an OL they couldn't trust to convert a 3rd & 2. 

15 hours ago, spicoli said:

so you'll take an ok player (as long as he shuts his trap) over the best player (at that position) ever on this team because that player got sick of this organizations bullshit?  ok

MB loves fans like you.. mediocrity is fine... you are probably happy with ole marv too, he never ruffles any feathers

22 minutes ago, saphead said:

Even if we would've somehow not gotten punked by Cocksburgh with a healthy Palmer in that wildcard game, I believe we would have had to go to Denver the next week.  And we don't win in Denver. Ever. 

I think it's hard to say. Their confidence level probably would've been mighty high.

7 hours ago, fluhartz said:

so you'll take an ok player (as long as he shuts his trap) over the best player (at that position) ever on this team because that player got sick of this organizations bullshit?  ok

MB loves fans like you.. mediocrity is fine... you are probably happy with ole marv too, he never ruffles any feathers

I was just a big Rudy fan....who the fuck cares?

now fuck off, cockboy.

Rudi was sure fun to watch. Downhill power RB behind the last good OL this team's had..  Smashmouth football. He was running like a man possessed in that '05 WC game but Bratfailski decided that was too obvious & put the game in Kitna's dainty hands instead. Fuck that guy still & always. Reading Ayn Rand with his bifocals mfer go teach Comparative Phony Intellectual Literature at a Community College with your too good for football tortured genius gumpass. Well-respected around the anywhere but here. Fuck Kitna too. Look at your stats bro even Jesus thinks you're a dickhead. 

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Respectfully, T...I was there. The Bengals had two 10-point leads--both while Jon was under center. The defense lost both of them. 

But to the other point, and I was saying it all through the game, why stop running? 

Can't argue with that but I stand by my Brat/Kitna hate. 

& yeah, team is either unwilling or unable to protect a lead by chewing up the clock on the ground.  "Finish" is not just a Nordic language gd it!

Archived