Debbie Downer: Bengals Most Overpaid Player

Cordy Glenn listed as Bengals' most overpaid player

usatsi_9033970.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

By: Chris Roling | 2 hours ago

The Cincinnati Bengals do a good job walking the financial tightrope, which helps explain how they have consistently cobbled together one of the NFL’s most talented rosters during the Andy Dalton era.

That is, unless they get desperate.

p?c1=7&c2=6921732&c3=100Desperation set in for the Bengals at left tackle after 2017, where the team fired an offensive coordinator midseason and Andy Dalton regressed to rookie numbers. The solution was inheriting Cordy Glenn’s massive contract via trade with the Buffalo Bills.

For Bleacher Report’s Doug Farrar, Glenn arrives as the team’s most overpaid player:

“But what if he doesn’t? In that case, they’re on the hook for $11.3 million in cap this season with a penalty of $10 million if they jettison him. The good news is that the Bengals can get out of the last two years of Glenn’s current deal with no additional financial penalty. Given the potential $9.3 million in cap savings in 2019 and 2020 were that to happen, Glenn might be playing for his career in 2018.”

It’s a fair point to make, though the Bengals didn’t have much of a choice. Viewing themselves as contenders, starting over with a rookie on Dalton’s blindside could have resulted in another disaster. Instead, taking on Glenn’s contract helped open up the addition of Billy Price at center.

The Bengals don’t have many “overpaid” candidates anyway besides possibly Dre Kirkpatrick at his $9.5 million cap hit in 2018. Only eight players have a cap hit north of $7 million in 2018 and that excludes bargains like Tyler Eifert, William Jackson and George Iloka.

Possible extensions for Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins will change the complexion of the cap outlook soon. For now though, the Bengals are likely quite happy with Glenn getting overpaid to solve the team’s biggest issue.

How can a player who hasn't even played a single snap for the Bengals be their most overpaid player?  What if he ends up being a significant piece in finally solving the OL issues?  I know, wishful thinking, but still.  And yeah, did they forget about MJ as TKF said?

4 hours ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

Glenn? What a dumbass.  It is Michael Johnson and it isn't close.

How many games has MJ missed in his career?   He may not be worth his salary right now, but at least he's not a handful of magic beans.  Glenn is a very expensive gamble.  We're potentially one stubbed toe away from another shit season.

Any way you slice it, that trade was a desperate move. 

IMO I'd go with DreK.  Dude is a legend in his own mind and average at best, when he's not being an outright liability.

On 6/10/2018 at 8:22 AM, Rick said:

My vote goes to Andy Dalton. The Bengals let the wrong QB leave.

Huhhh???  Dude, we got Matt Barkley!!  He was a 4th rounder not some lame 5th rounder.  He has started twice as many games as McCarron,  has thrown almost  2x as many passes and has 50% more TDs than McCarron.   Barkley has never lost a playoff game either. 

21 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Huhhh???  Dude, we got Matt Barkley!!  He was 4th rounder not some lame 5th rounder.  He has started twice as many games as McCarron,  has thrown almost  2x as many passes and has 50% more TDs than McCarron.   Barkley has never lost a playoff game either. 

Plus he has the most important quality in common with McGooch as far as fans are concerned - Barkley is also not named "Andy Dalton".

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

Any word on Glenn so far, is he participating in the off season work outs?

He's participated in all work outs and the on-field OTA stuff so far. You can find pretty quickly an absurd pic of him walking in uniform next to Geno. He makes Geno look small. Cordy Glenn is absolutely huge. 

1 hour ago, membengal said:

He's participated in all work outs and the on-field OTA stuff so far. You can find pretty quickly an absurd pic of him walking in uniform next to Geno. He makes Geno look small. Cordy Glenn is absolutely huge. 

I hope he gets a heavy workload in TC/preseason.  Same goes for Eifert.  They seem to like to nurse guys through camp & then they end up hurt in Week 3 and you're out the roster spot plus whatever player you cut instead of them.   They're counting on this guy to be the lynchpin of the entire offense, if he's not up to it wouldn't you rather know sooner instead of later?

Just now, T-Dub said:

Wanna bet the single upvote is from someone whose name rhymes with "Bo Jangles"? 

When you click on a topic and you wonder which of the three usual posters will make this an Andy Dalton thread. Which wouldn't be as bad if they didn't finish off by slurping off McCarron. 

"Jennifer Anniston isn't hot, but that chick from Ugly Betty...."

Coming from someone who liked McCarron... It's a bit like saying that Greg McElroy was better than Palmer. I'll sit here and shit on Carson all day long, but dump him for McElroy? That's the Ambien talking son.

Whatever, it's an easy way to tell who's not worth reading.

5 hours ago, membengal said:

I hope he can stay healthy, if so I expect the offense to be much improved.

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I hope he gets a heavy workload in TC/preseason.  Same goes for Eifert.  They seem to like to nurse guys through camp & then they end up hurt in Week 3 and you're out the roster spot plus whatever player you cut instead of them.   They're counting on this guy to be the lynchpin of the entire offense, if he's not up to it wouldn't you rather know sooner instead of later?

I understand but I disagree, as long as these guys are in shape then don't expose them to any unnecessary risk. 

Obviously they need to participate in practice and pre season games like everyone else but nothing extra to prove they can handle the rigours of the season.

31 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I understand but I disagree, as long as these are in shape than don't expose them to any unnecessary risk. 

Obviously they need to participate in practice and pre season games like everyone else but nothing extra to prove they can handle the rigours of the season.

Totally agree especially with Eifert.  Each hit could be his last, save them for when it matters. 

On 6/11/2018 at 4:38 PM, SF2 said:

Totally agree especially with Eifert.  Each hit could be his last, save them for when it matters. 

If that's the case, why would you want to count on him at all? Because he was awesome 3 years ago? We need hardass football players not porcelain figurines that remind us of the good old days. How many games does a guy have to miss for us to accept that we can't depend on him? Rather have OK players that show up every week than a bunch of FA scrubs off the street and an IR list full of potential.

19 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

If that's the case, why would you want to count on him at all? Because he was awesome 3 years ago? We need hardass football players not porcelain figurines that remind us of the good old days. How many games does a guy have to miss for us to accept that we can't depend on him? Rather have OK players that show up every week than a bunch of FA scrubs off the street and an IR list full of potential.

I am not counting on him at all, that would be the Bengals.  Fact is he is on a one year deal and being paid as the 18th best TE in the league.  When healthy, he is far better than 18th.  The Bengals are taking a chance on him but it is a fairly small one. 

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

I am not counting on him at all, that would be the Bengals.  Fact is he is on a one year deal and being paid as the 18th best TE in the league.  When healthy, he is far better than 18th.  The Bengals are taking a chance on him but it is a fairly small one. 

Not my money so I don't much care about that aspect.  I just want to watch the team win and betting on injured players hasn't been helping them do that lately.  

Archived